‘I’m no fool’

Inniss refuses to take pilgrim’s view on march

Outspoken minister Donville Inniss is suggesting he would be a fool to disregard “the strong message” sent by Barbadians who took to the streets of the capital on Saturday in a March of Disgust against the ruling Democratic Labour Party (DLP).

His comment appeared to be a slight against DLP General Secretary George Pilgrim, who yesterday dismissed the estimated 10,000 people who protested against Government’s handling of the economy as a rent a crowd, paid by the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to show up and feign disgust.

DLP General Secretary George Pilgrim has suggested that Barbadians were paid to take part in Saturday’s Opposition led march. At right Donville Inniss

However, concerned that the protest could very well be the DLP’s ‘Ides of March’, Inniss this morning told the media in a candid interview following his feature address to launch the Global Value Chain Analysis workshop at Accra Beach Hotel, those who ignored the march was doing so at their own peril.

“I certainly paid great attention to the march. I think anytime you have a sizeable portion of the population taking to the streets, albeit in a very civilized manner, they are sending a message and the Government must take note.

“I, certainly as a minister, have taken very copious note of the message being sent and not necessarily by the Barbados Labour Party alone, but there may be other individuals who are not aligned to the BLP who have a sense of annoyance with the Government. I will be a fool to sit here and believe all is well,” Inniss said.

This latest position is sure to provide even more ammunition to those who see him as one who has recognized the DLP’s falling popularity and is prepared to throw his own administration under the proverbial bus in order to save his skin.

Inniss today all but confirmed this impression of him when he made it clear he was not the least bit worried of being accused of not towing the party line, and he had no qualms about breaking ranks with the Freundel Stuart administration in the interest of political self-preservation.

In fact, the Member of Parliament for St James South, one of the so-called Eager 11, who in 2011 sought to replace Stuart before “cold feet” by some caused the plot to fail, appeared to take a jab at the Prime Minister by making reference to “those who say nothing”- a general criticism of Stuart.

“Every politician has a right to try to preserve himself, don’t let anybody fool you about that; even those who say nothing. I am a Barbadian first and foremost and I am the parliamentary representative for St James South and it is my intention to continue to do that. I have also been a member of the DLP for almost 33 years and therefore, whatever one may say about self-preservation, the simple truth of the matter is that I live in a very real world and I observe what is going on around me.

“There are times when you are going on a route that you may think is the best course until you listen to others who then say to you that perhaps there is another route that you have to take. I think that the people of Barbados are speaking . . . . If people think that my comments are selfish then tough luck for them, but I have to do and say what is in the best interest of Barbados first,” Inniss said, even as he insisted he remained a proud member of the Freundel Stuart Cabinet.

Despite the message which Inniss said Barbadians had sent to the administration through the march, he was optimistic that the public’s confidence in the DLP administration would rise in the coming months as Government makes the necessary fiscal adjustments to lower the deficit and increase the dwindling foreign reserves.

“This is a work in progress. As a Government we have made some mistakes along the way. I don’t think we have been as effective in our communication. I ask myself everyday if I have made mistakes and if I have, I am prepared to learn from them. Barbados continues to have challenges and we are committed to finding the solutions,” he said.

colvillemounsey@barbadostoday.bb

11 Responses to ‘I’m no fool’

1. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore March 14, 2017 at 12:09 am

The fool is he who stares truth in the face & is still incline to believe the lie. He is no fool if he should choose to believe that which is irrefutable. On this score the present DLP is a bunch of fools, notwithstanding that you talk foolishly at times.

2. Johnathan March 14, 2017 at 4:18 am

Inniss knows that Stuart can’t do him anything after all he is a member of the strong Thompson gang that is still running the party. If Stuart tried to fire the secretary 6 years ago and they stood up and said no and she is still there what do you think if he goes after the leaders of the gang like Sinkler,Jones,Boyce or even Stephen,Lashley or any of the other eager 11. His aspirations are clear since he thinks he is a better leader than lazy,uncaring Stuart. In fact many people think so and so Sturat will avoid any action despite what he says. He is like a toothless tiger or a tongue less human..

3. Jennifer March 14, 2017 at 7:26 am

Hahahahaahahahaaha – some people never change.

These guys should be labeled the house of provocateurs. I going and drink some good old tetley.

4. Sam Clarke March 14, 2017 at 8:33 am

This sort of candidness is what is needed in Barbados politics. Speaking truth to power is what is desperately needed in Barbados. The political discourse at this time must be real, and the sooner that folks stop the small mindfulness, the better for this political discourse that is badly needed in the country.

5. F.S. Marshall March 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

“The Minister of Industry, International Business, Commerce and Small Business Development has a history of publicly criticizing his own administration, often adopting positions that are contrary to those espoused by the DLP or the administration, although he has never voted against Government in Parliament.”

I’m tired of all this long talk, I will soon stop reading the local news.

He publicly criticizing his own administration but he is not doing nothing about it, it is time to put your money where your mouth is Inniss or shut up and collect your pension.

Everyone knows the current administration is all about self preservation

6. Donild Trimp March 14, 2017 at 9:57 am

I am beginning to like this guy.

7. Maureen Fields March 14, 2017 at 10:01 am

I agree without with Johnathan, Inniss is like a toothless lion…Or a tongue less human….this is so true. But I think that Mr. Inniss have great potential as a politician and should come out from amongst Dems, join the Barbados Labour Party in order to help people.
    Inniss, you can’t help anyone by being a part of Dems, because Dems are spiritually dead; no moral feeling toward their fellowmen at all!

8. Peter March 14, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Why only show the face BT? I am sure that lady boy on the right. The one in glasses, had on leggings. Bajan Boy George.

9. Peter March 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Sorry I mean the ugly one on thed left looking at it…

10. Carson C Cadogan March 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm

An excellent description of PM Stuart

“If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;”

The hallmarks of a good man.

11. Jennifer March 14, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Hahahahahahaha – Carson C Cadogan. I can read your strategy like a book. What you are is a person who is an instigator and an ignitor. I can play that game too if I want. You throw out these stupid political statements like throwing bones to lions and just let them jump on them and scramble and bite up one another. Mind you the people do not even understanding there is no meat on the bones, just being dry. The strategy to deal with someone like you is to totally ignore you and let you sink into your own quicksand.