GG to step down in June

Governor General Sir Elliott Belgrave today confirmed that he will demit office at the end of June 2017, five years after he was appointed to the country’s highest office.

Sir Elliott had announced last December during his annual Christmas visit to the Psychiatric Hospital in Black Rock, St Michael that he intended to step down this year, although he gave no date at the time.

In announcing the date this afternoon during a visit to the island’s latest centenarian, Lena Carter, in Haggatt Hall, St Michael, the 85-year-old representative of the British monarch said he was “old and tired” and was looking forward to retirement and cruising the world.

Responding to a comment by Carter’s daughter that he still “looked good”, Sir Elliott gave a hearty chuckle and said: “My knees don’t look so good though. I am quite happy in my mind, body and soul, but I want to demit office so that someone else would have a chance, trying to carry on what is necessary.”

The former High Court judge, who first acted in the post from November 1, 2011 before his formal appointment on June 1 of the following year, said it was with “great reluctance” that he was leaving, while stressing that he was stepping down of his own free will.

At the same time, he said he would miss visiting the elderly and children.

“I love people, I like to see people happy, and to make people happy. But the job is very challenging, it’s very stressful and to do it properly you have to pay close attention to it.

“I take great delight in visiting the centenarians
. . . . I think my paying attention to the centenarians and to the children is one of the principle reasons I was appointed to this office which I regard as a great honour,” he stressed.

Regarded as “the Governor General of the people”, Sir Elliott has shown himself to be a Head of State with a difference. While others in the past might have been accused of not visiting the trenches, but sticking slavishly to their constitutional roles, he was credited for breaking that mould.

Whether it be the crime situation in the country, industrial disharmony, disquiet in the education system, or simple inter-personal relationships, Sir Elliott has not been averse to speaking his mind, offering advice and demonstrating leadership.

31 Responses to GG to step down in June

1. Kelly Scantlebury
    Kelly Scantlebury March 14, 2017 at 2:32 am

Was only a matter of time

2. Jennifer March 14, 2017 at 3:58 am

Please do not appoint another one.

3. Juanita Blanco
    Juanita Blanco March 14, 2017 at 5:47 am

Ok good. Now move towards making that post redundant! Waste of money

4. Yolanda Bella
    Yolanda Bella March 14, 2017 at 6:04 am

This country is still under the crown so they may still appoint another GG to represent the British monarch.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 14, 2017 at 6:28 am

I think you meant will unless the country becomes a republic before the Governor General turns in his resignation. Anyhow even though some people claim that the office serves no real purpose either than to eat up taxpayers money. I still believe the office carries with it some manner of prestige!

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke March 14, 2017 at 6:37 am

Yep. Mark is right . Unless we become a republic by then which is highly unlikely a replacement will definitely come . By the way the good that comes with the GG is that he can dissolve parliament .

• Eddy Murray
      Eddy Murray March 14, 2017 at 6:58 am

I feel he should do that the same day he leaving office.

• Eddy Murray
      Eddy Murray March 14, 2017 at 6:58 am

lol

• Jennifer March 14, 2017 at 7:04 am

@Yolanda – Can you please explain or someone else what Independence is. We need the rid of these people aka vultures.

• Yolanda Bella
      Yolanda Bella March 14, 2017 at 7:47 am

Lol

• Yolanda Bella
      Yolanda Bella March 14, 2017 at 7:47 am

Danny Colombian Clarke its true

• Olutoye Walrond
      Olutoye Walrond March 14, 2017 at 7:52 am

Danny Colombian Clarke Whan has he/she ever done it without being asked by the Prime Minister?

• Juanita Blanco
      Juanita Blanco March 14, 2017 at 8:16 am

The argument here isn’t that it does not carry prestige. It does. But is it worthy of such? This post serves no real purpose except to be a host or visit the elderly. What real and tangible effect does the GG have on the state of affairs in this country. Figurehead! Waste of money paid in salary for the GG, any staffers who take care of the GG’s needs and all the other useless overheads! That money can be put to much better use. Impractical at best!

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 14, 2017 at 8:31 am

Juanita Blanco, I am not unhearing of your argument and you’re obviously entitled to your own opinion, but your opinion is your own opinion, but does it reflects the majority of Barbadians.

• Juanita Blanco
      Juanita Blanco March 14, 2017 at 8:41 am

I know full well the GG’s role which I outlined above. All that I said above, is what every GG did over the years! Tell me that I am incorrect! Bajans are too emotional and hold tightly to things that hold very little practical use! You can see it in every facet of this society. Do a cost benefit analysis and tell me if the benefits of having a GG, outweigh the cost to taxpayers. Pragmatics Fenty! Pragmatics!

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 14, 2017 at 8:54 am

Juanita Blanco, I understand what you are endeavouring to convey, but there is a proclivity to base everything on economics rather what a thing does to promote the better good of society. And I take issue with your comment “Bajans are too emotional”… never employ an absolute to describe a people because it does a disservice to those that aren’t party to such behaviour. In any event, the Solicitor General in the American system of governance plays an important role in advising the Attorney General regarding specific cases, but most Americans have probably never heard of Solicitor General, now do you see the irony between the two offices?

• Juanita Blanco
      Juanita Blanco March 14, 2017 at 9:12 am

“…does to promote the better good of society.” In what way does the GG do that? Visits are nice and all, but after those visits, how has the GG improved the lives of the children or the elderly, many of whom experience hardships?

• Jennifer March 14, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Juanita – I agree with you sister. THEY got the sponge washing these people brains. Waste of money.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 14, 2017 at 9:23 am

So you are saying that the words of encouragement from the GG are incapable of impacting the malleable minds of the young people and inspire them to do more to uplift the social and economic conditions of the present generation?The what I meant by promoting the better good! Nonetheless, I don’t care how much of an ideologue you maybe, but no matter how affluent a society maybe, there will always be those elements who will be in need.

• Earl Lashley
      Earl Lashley March 14, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Mark Fenty O, you of colonial mentality!

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 14, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Earl Lashley, whatever that supposed to mean…! So why don’t you change your name because it is reflective of our colonial past Sir?

5. Valarie Rock
    Valarie Rock March 14, 2017 at 7:00 am

Welcome of the club Sir!

6. Wade Gibbons
    Wade Gibbons March 14, 2017 at 8:12 am

He has been an excellent Governor-General. His interaction with our nation’s children over the past four-plus years has been inspiring to many of them. Happy retirement and God’s blessing. One of our country’s finest human beings.

• Amisha Diego
      Amisha Diego March 14, 2017 at 8:42 am

Totally agree

• Jeffrey Bostic
      Jeffrey Bostic March 14, 2017 at 10:19 am

Wade I have had the pleasure of attending the school visits to city primary schools and I enjoyed all of them. They were eagerly anticipated by teachers and students and had a great impact.

7. North Point March 14, 2017 at 9:08 am

He is a true Statesman and gentleman, they don’t come like him any more. I wish you all the best in your twilight years, please don’t for get to take that cruise that you mentioned. May God be with you and your entire family.

8. sunshinecanada March 14, 2017 at 11:19 am

take care of you, Mr Belgrave, Amen,

9. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman March 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I admire the way the GG conducted his tenure may he have a very pleasant retirement.

10. Sandor Barker
    Sandor Barker March 14, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I understand Sir, this government have you tired also but Blessing nonetheless.

11. John king March 14, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Governor General Sir Elliot Belgrave is an excellent specimen of a Real Man. I met Him in Court when he was a Judge and his rulings were excellent. He is one of the persons in Barbados that I can truly point to say I really love and appreciate and. this Country will be missing a true hearted fellow with feelings. enjoy your retirement Sir Elliot and may you reach one hundred Years in good health. I john Winston king will always remember You for your good understanding, foresight and good exemplary behavior.

12. jus me March 15, 2017 at 12:13 am

GG is just Blacks aping the old Colonial masters.

Like the SIR now being applied to all and sundry.

Straitening our hair.
    Lightening our Skin.

All BS.
    NEED all to be sent to the Trash Bin of History.