Dre’s heroic act

Dre Browne is a real life hero.

While playing in the sand with his Barbados Youth Service (BYS) friends after a long day of community service on Saturday, the 17-year-old Clapham, St Michael resident came to the rescue of a female tourist who had nearly drowned at Browne’s Beach.

The aspiring fireman was on his way home when he saw a panicked husband by the side of his unconscious wife who had swallowed a large amount of water while diving.

Having been trained in water safety by the Barbados Coast Guard and the BYS, Browne’s instincts quickly kicked in, moving immediately to perform CPR on the woman.

“I just saw her and the instinct just kicked in to help . . . I did what I knew, so I asked him [the husband] if she was okay and ‘can I assist you’, and he said, ‘yes you can’, so I proceeded [to perform] CPR.

“After that . . . one of my friends called the ambulance so I stood by her side until the ambulance came,” the BYS recruit recounted, adding that all the while he was trying to keep the woman calm.

The former Princess Margaret Secondary School student received a hero’s welcome from his neighbours and his mother, Serena Browne, who said she was proud of her son for his unselfish and courageous act, especially as he used the skills he had been taught at the BYS.

Heroic teen Dre Browne and his mother Serena Browne.

“When he came in last night with the look on his face alone, I saw that he was excited and he was proud of the act he had done yesterday . . .

“I just thought he just did a random act of kindness which we all should do at some time,” the beaming mother said.

BYS Community Project Officer Cecilia Nebblet-Murray was present to congratulate the dutiful recruit.

Community Service Co-ordinator for the Barbados Youth Service Cecilia Nebleft (right) poses with the ‘hero’ and some of his well-wishers.

She praised the teenager for his act of bravery saying, “It is really good when a student can actually practice what we teach them in school every day and it is really good that students were there to actually him see do a good deed,”

15 Responses to Dre’s heroic act

1. Dr. Paula Estwick
    Dr. Paula Estwick March 14, 2017 at 6:53 am

5 stars and a round of applause for Mr. Dre Browne! Always good to see some positive news about the youth!

2. Alana B March 14, 2017 at 7:45 am

Good job young man!

There for hope in Barbados. So much goodness still exist. Go on to do greater things for yourself and country.

3. Wade Gibbons
    Wade Gibbons March 14, 2017 at 8:14 am

Well done, Dre. You are a credit to your family, the Barbados Youth Service and the country. Keep it up and keep focused young man.

4. David Eversley March 14, 2017 at 8:37 am

A Remarkable young man. It is not only what he has done to save the visitor’s life or what he has learnt that he had put into practice but the way he approach the whole situation. This is what touch me most.
    “I did what I knew, so I asked him [the husband] if she was okay and ‘can I assist you’, and he said, ‘yes you can’, so I proceeded [to perform] CPR”
    That is professionalism. That young man will go very far if he keep on that path. Well done Dre.

5. Adonijah Alleyne
    Adonijah Alleyne March 14, 2017 at 8:48 am

Well done, young man.

6. gsmiley March 14, 2017 at 8:48 am

Agreed David. He didn’t just jump in and start performing CPR like a wild man he sought the husband’s permission first. The correct way to go about it.

One still has to be careful when one is a civilian. He was obviously taught well.

Congrats Dre and good luck in the future.

7. Demetri Gill
    Demetri Gill March 14, 2017 at 8:50 am

Very nice

8. Sugar Sweets
    Sugar Sweets March 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

Well done

9. Freidaeagle Nicholls
    Freidaeagle Nicholls March 14, 2017 at 10:14 am

Thank you Dre – you are a fine example of the mettle so many young people in Barbados are made of. Your selfless courage and quick thinking saved not just one life, but touched so many. God bless you, son.

10. Diane Elaine Dias
    Diane Elaine Dias March 14, 2017 at 10:20 am

I hope the tourists go back home and publicly acknowledge this young man , and say positive things about Barbados.

11. Des Dejon March 14, 2017 at 11:04 am

Joining with countless others Kudos to Dre . You saw the need to assist and remembered your training well .By seeking permission first you were on the ball .Keep your head on young man and you will go very far in your chosen profession and life in general . Congrats again

12. tsquires March 14, 2017 at 11:05 am

Well done Dre you are a credit to the organizations you trained with, your family, your peers and all Barbadians, and Mum you have every reason to be proud as you’ve brought him up well. I am sure you will do well and l wish you success in all your endeavours.

13. Lorna Simmons
    Lorna Simmons March 14, 2017 at 11:47 am

May God continue to watch over you Mr. Dre and keep you in His protection. Blessings also on your crew.

14. Gina Dowell
    Gina Dowell March 14, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Well done,you’re a blessing to your family

15. stephanie March 14, 2017 at 9:26 pm

well done Dre keep your head on you’re on the right path
    your positive attitude and kindness will take you very far keep it up .