Dems need a miracle, says Eversley

It will take a miracle for the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) to retain power in the next general election following Saturday’s March of Disgust organized by the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP), according to political strategist Reudon Eversley.

Eversley said due to the success of the protest, with an estimated 10,000 people turning up to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the current administration, only God could save the DLP now.

“With less than a year to go before general election, I think it would require God to come out of heaven to reverse the situation for the DLP. I do not see any miracles occurring under Stuart’s uninspiring, lacklustre and ineffective leadership” the strategist and writer opined.

The BLP has already said Saturday’s protest was just the beginning and there was a lot more pressure to come on Stuart to call an early poll.

Eversley said BLP leader Mia Mottley would have been buoyed by the turnout, which would serve as a fillip for her political career.

“I cannot say that Prime Minister Freundel Stuart has to sit up and think, but I think it was a very strong statement as to how Barbadians feel about the current state of affairs in the country. In many ways Saturday’s march can be considered a turning point for Mottley’s leadership.”

Despite being returned as BLP leader after former Prime Minister Owen Arthur stepped down for the second time following his election defeat in 2013 – Arthur had quit after the 2008 election loss and was replaced by Mottley, before a palace coup returned Arthur to the helm of the party in 2010 – Mottley has found it difficult to shake off speculation about her tenure.

In fact, there had been suggestions that a faction led by Arthur sympathizer George Payne would lead another coup against the BLP leader.

However, Payne, who was elected unopposed as BLP Chairman last October, came out strongly in Mottley’s support at Saturday’s rally, while calling on Arthur, who has made no secret of his dislike for Mottley, to “leave the political leader of the Barbados Labour Party alone”.

This has prompted Eversley to conclude that Mottley’s problems were behind her and the BLP was settled.

“Any lingering suspicion that there would be an undermining of Mottley’s leadership has been effectively put aside with Payne’s firm declaration of support for Mottley. Payne’s statement is a very significant statement,” he stressed.

Eversley said the BLP had been effective in mobilizing support for the march, which he described as a “tremendous success”, while arguing that people who had not participated for fear of victimization would be encouraged to take part the next time.

It was also the turnout that led political scientist Dr George Belle to conclude that the BLP had to be at the centre of any resistance to the policies of the Stuart administration.

“There are some people that were suggesting that we need to create some kind of consensus to allow the Government to act in a way that will be favourable to the recovery of the economy. The real point is that you are not going to be able to have an alternative Government or change of Government if the BLP is not the core of what will be the alternative Government and the core of what will bring about the decline of the regime’s capacity to survive,” Belle told Barbados TODAY.

“The realpolitik is that this is what has to happen. There is no third party that is going to do that. Any attempt to divide the BLP will prolong the life of the Government to the extent that they want to stay as long as possible in relation to the constitutional distance that is given to them,” he added.

13 Responses to Dems need a miracle, says Eversley

1. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall March 15, 2017 at 4:23 am

Dems need to call elections

2. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce March 15, 2017 at 5:05 am

DEMs need a Miracle he mean Dems need to GO!

3. Patrina Drakes
    Patrina Drakes March 15, 2017 at 6:31 am

BLP so sure they going to win yet I have not hear what are some of the ideas they have to save the country other than DLP going. BDFG I don’t care just want the country economy saved cause we don’t have that much to sell and I don’t want to got to walk with a suitcase to buy bread or biscuits

4. Carson C Cadogan March 15, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Is this the same man who said not so long ago that he hopes never too see the BLP in office again?

That the Barbados Labour Party was wicked as hell?

The long dark night of the BLP has come to an end. May Barbados never see the likes of it again. By the way, I want to encourage other Barbadians who were similarly targetted by the BLP because they were Dems or were otherwise affiliated, to tell their story. Barbadians must get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It must no longer be kept under the carpet. So Mia Mottley is calling for justice for BLP supporters. Why didn’t she call for justice for me, when I was editor of the Advocate and was being persecuted almost on a daily basis by the BLP?”
    REUDON EVERSLEY

5. Carson C Cadogan March 15, 2017 at 5:22 pm

“How many Barbadians know, for example, that the BLP complained to the Advocate’s management because I refused to eat their food at a media luncheon to launch their 1999 general election campaign? As a result, I was threatened with dismissal. Well, I sought legal advice and was prepared to sue the Advocate for breach of my human rights so they backed off.”

“Why would I want to eat from the BLP ? Their yardfowls used to leave the most foul messages on my voicemail, telling me they are going to get my … you know what .. out of the Advocate because I am a Dem. They could have easily poisoned me had I eaten their food and I certainly was not going to expose myself to that risk. I have my children to live for.”

“The BLP is now demanding the justice they denied others. But they are getting a good deal. A well-known BLP person was recently appointed to a senior post at a statutory corporation which the BLP had refused to give that person. That would have never happened with a Dem under a BLP government. But I will say this: David Thompson is a gentleman – has always been. He has treated them all with decency and fairness which they did not show to Dems when they were in power.

After I was forced to leave the Advocate, I could not find work in Barbados. I had to go overseas to earn a living to feed my children. I applied for a job at a government institution for which I was perfectly suited. I was invited to an interview but I was warned it was just a sham. My source told me that a certain person said I would never work in Barbados as long as the BLP was in power. I called up the HR person at the organization in question, told him to withdraw my name and keep the job because I didn’t need it as I had a better one overseas. A BLP yardfowl even saw me at a public event overseas and remarked, in front of everyone present, that the BLP had made a “refugee”. Incredible but true.”

REUDON EVERSLEY

AND THIS IS THE SAME BLP HE NOW WANTS TO BE RETURNED TO POWER AS THEY LIKE TO CALL IT.

A dog returns to his vomit!!!!!

6. Johnathan March 15, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Carson Cadogan that is all you dumb DLP members seem to be doing these day as fear grips. You members of cabinet are walking around cursing everyone who says anything negative about your corrupt group and there is nothing positive to say. Cursing Reudon is not the answer cursing the 15000 who marched is not the answer. Curse Sinkler and Stuart who put wunnah in this and can’t get wunnah out. A drowning rat and they are plenty to around catches at a straw and when they carrying the lepto virus they catch at man. The Democratic Labour Party will soon start padding the voters list and the BLP has to look out for it and make sure they identify cases and get them before the electoral and boundaries commission. They did it last election and I know because I was asked to help transfer some to the head hauncho constituency and i refused. I know some one who got payment to help transfer some friends. I want to warn Barbadians to stay in their constituencies if they know that a politican is only transferring them for a vote and they don’t live at the address as they can be charged for election fraud under the electoral and boundaries commission act.

• Carson C Cadogan March 15, 2017 at 8:42 pm

The numbers keep increasing.

First it was 9,000, then it was 10,000, now it is 15,000, before the week is out it will be 25,000. You people are really desperate.

Cursing Reudon?

All I am doing is using his OWN WORDS not mine. He knows how wicked and evil the BLP was and is better than anybody alive in Barbados.

It was not me who from the BLP called him a refugee in front of people when he was workig over in away. He had to run from Barbados to get work, the BLP then prevented him from getting work in his home town Barbados.

That vicious evil streak still permeates the BLP today. Just take a look at how they treated MARIA AGARD.

Ask Kaymar Jordan why she was fired from the Nation newspaper and who instigated it.

7. Tony March 15, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Carson that was Owen’s BLP

8. Shawn Phillips March 15, 2017 at 8:12 pm

No one makes as much dumb comments as Carson Cadogan does just like the DLP lot is blind to everything .Its time this administration hurry and leave office .

9. Carson C Cadogan March 15, 2017 at 8:45 pm

10. BimJim March 15, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I think I hear an election coming… just around the corner… nuff noise, chest-beating and opinionated hot air bout de place… go inside, chrilren, y’all shouldn’t hear dis kinda nastiness…

• Carson C Cadogan March 16, 2017 at 7:30 am

General elections will be held in 2018.

11. janette reifer March 16, 2017 at 7:33 am

I never though I would live to see the day when some of my FLP friends say that their beloved party needs to go and by extension March to make s statement, that the DLP should go.
    What is so difficult about this they can’t over stand?