‘Enough is Enough’

It was a sea of red in Bridgetown on Saturday as supporters of the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) chanted “Enough Is Enough”.

The March of Disgust started in Jubilee Gardens and made its way through The City as shoppers, store owners and workers watched from the sidelines.

People from all walks of life came out with their placards criticizing the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) and their management of the country.

Residents from the drought-ridden areas such as St Peter and St Joseph also made a stand demanding water.

A large group from White Hill, St Andrew was also present, calling for solutions to their problems and a change of Government.

40 Responses to ‘Enough is Enough’

1. jrsmith March 12, 2017 at 10:46 am

Dont forget my bajan people , one of our native daughters , did say ,,,,,,,( no water no vote ) just please becareful when the time come , think before you vote …………………

2. seagul March 12, 2017 at 10:57 am

It’s truly sad that such scenes in B’dos have appeared. The big question remains now is if the opposing politicians have any substantial solutions or are the masses to remain on this ship. The people remain…

• Jennifer March 12, 2017 at 11:05 am

@Seagul – The problem is that there is no other ship to board. Every ship is loaded in corrupt, rotten cargo. With the ship-masters smiling widely with them white teeth, and trying to avoid being run aground.

3. Santini More
    Santini More March 12, 2017 at 11:16 am

It was not a sea of red. And not everybody who attended was a BLP supporter. The most significant common denominator was we all wanted to illustrate just how fed up we are with this current Government and their incompetency.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 11:35 am

Didn’t Clark held a march a few years ago which did little, but to subjected those who attended to a darker shade of black standing under that Bajan 12 o’clock sun?

• Santini More
      Santini More March 12, 2017 at 11:39 am

Mark Fenty Nothing wrong with being darker in my book…However it is worth noting that the planning of this march took into consideration the best time to schedule a public march and chose the very sensible time of 4pm.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 11:44 am

Why it took so long to organized a march of this nature, when proponents were echoing the call of incompentency and corruption for years? Well, I guess my point is, Clark march achieved little, so what makes you think that this march is going to change the trajectory of Barbadian electorate? And finally, I think you’re really missing the point because it is not all about changing the party that ought to be the focused objective, but changing the mindset of those who occupies the highest offices in the nation which ought to be our main concerned.

• Jennifer March 12, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Mark – hail hail. I see what you mean to a point. So what should the mind sets be changed from – what to what????

That woman’s placard should have read “captains these ships are stinking”.

• Arthur Collymore
      Arthur Collymore March 12, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Girl, leave this guy alone. By now you should know he’s a lost cause.

• Santini More
      Santini More March 12, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Mark Fenty The floor is all yours to answer the question: What are the actions to be undertaken to change the mindset of those who occupy the highest offices in the nation?

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Because we don’t eat out of de same plate sir? The same idea you marched for yesterday, is the very idea you’re trying to prevent me from exercising today Sir.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Santini More, we need to take a closer look at the system of governance in Barbados, with a focused effort on enforcing effective checks and balances designed to address to wrongdoing in the system. And addition to that we need to stop electing individuals on the mere basis of their academic credentials, but those with a proven track-record of getting things done.

• Santini More
      Santini More March 12, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Mark Fenty I agree with your broad thrust, accountability and transparency are the key to good governance.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 1:45 pm

But not only accountability because I am quite sure the present system of governance is interwoven with checks and balances, but such accountability has to be sustainable and transparent.

4. Diana Cave
    Diana Cave March 12, 2017 at 11:28 am

Well that maybe true not everyone were not a B L P supporter in the march and I know alot of B L P supporters could not make it out also Anywhere whether it’s D . B or who , we all have to stand the storm until the master in heaven says it’s over .

• Gavin Dawson
      Gavin Dawson March 12, 2017 at 11:44 am

Diana Cave,your comment ends ‘We all have to stand the storm until the master in heaven say’s it’s over’ it will take more than Divine intervention, the public are now sounding their aggression, no use in waiting, for the sake of the People of Barbados prayer does not come into it, people are now making their feelings and disgust at this Gov’t being seen & heard, and correctly so.

• Rubertha Blackman
      Rubertha Blackman March 12, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Gavin Dawson yep right on and while we wait on the master in heaven who ever that is we sinking and not helping our selves that’s why most politicians love to say Bajans have short memories. Not all of us and am not waiting on any body in the sky God helps those who actually try to help themselves.

5. Bradg March 12, 2017 at 11:31 am

We know what we have…………an incompetent and reckless adminstration. We can’t have this bunch again!!! So we have to put our faith in…..among other things….another political party. The reality is that this is a democracy, someone has to lead, the DLp is inacapable, incompetent and other things I say here. Their record speaks for itself folks.

6. Jerry March 12, 2017 at 12:28 pm

And now what? The situation will not change unless the citizens of Barbados collectively stop wasting precious foreign exchange by buying things that contribute nothing to their lives and well being and start investing their efforts in physically cleaning up Barbados , Be helpful and welcoming to foreign visitors whose money the Country desperately needs to buy food , oil and medicine. Invest their money in creating product that will earn foreign exchange rather that leaving it in the bank earning nothing for them and facing the real threat of devaluation.

7. Angela Howard-Graham
    Angela Howard-Graham March 12, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Look out side and tell me what happened to day

8. Kamila Burrowes
    Kamila Burrowes March 12, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Bye and don’t come back

9. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I feel sad for some people whose mere concerned is to change the party platform, without giving little or no consideration to the best means of addressing existing problems with future solutions. Such thinking is reflective of a Trump Administration, in a hast to demantle ObamaCare without first putting a plan in place to address the medical necessities of millions who are unable to afford their own healthcare.

10. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman March 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I despise both parties, I don’t think the majority of marches were BLP supporters from what I heard most love our little island home bad and was marching to save it from further decline. It was not about the Bees but they pulled it off, however where do we go from here what else can be done by average Bajans to show our complete lack of faith in the political class and yeah de bees included to, what about enacting legislation to give teeth to marches just like these. But guess what de Bees ain’t going to do it because in the back of their minds the tables can turn easily against them to.

• Jennifer March 12, 2017 at 1:53 pm

@Rubertha – Well said. Its like the devils on one side and the brothers on the other side.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine March 12, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I share your sentiments sister. They are responsible for Barbados downward spiral. The BLP took their share of the fatted calf and the DLP is determine to get theirs. They are both corrupt, secretive and tricksy. Do they care about Barbadians, HELL TO THE SHYTE NO!

• Jennifer March 12, 2017 at 3:18 pm

The girl from the SSS. hahahahahahaha. Go girl. U got to be diplo and twist words, when making some of these responses.
        The only one able to figure me out sometimes is that one Peter.

• Steve Jemmott
      Steve Jemmott March 12, 2017 at 4:54 pm

what mumbo jumbo did you just script?

• Rubertha Blackman
      Rubertha Blackman March 12, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Steve Jemmott meaning

• Suezette Boyce-Griffith
      Suezette Boyce-Griffith March 12, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Sweet girl u dont have to like any parties so u should keep your opinions to your self and let ppl who vot have their civil say no bad feeling luv

• Rubertha Blackman
      Rubertha Blackman March 12, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Suezette Boyce-Griffith I made a comment and I find you telling to keep my opinion to my self almost laughable maybe you should practice what you preach and yeah no hard feelings either

11. MIIB March 12, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Well said Rubertha. All is the same and be careful with no other political alternatives you don’t trade the devil for Satan in disguise as they act like these issues just occurred under the d’s.

Careful what u wish for.

12. Michelle Clarke
    Michelle Clarke March 12, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Denial is a sad thing

13. jus me March 12, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Mr Fenty,
    You one Big BLACK pot calling the Kettle Black.

MINDSET. lol
    You got the Religion and call it GOD

They got the religion and CALL it POLITICS.!!

I got religion an CALL it REALITY.

MINDSET. Yuh gonna change yours.

14. jus me March 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Jennifer ,Peter figures you, cos he IS YOU, cept he comin from de other end a the tunnel.

• Jennifer March 12, 2017 at 5:23 pm

@jus me – hahahahaha . I know. Excellent observation.

15. Suezette Boyce-Griffith
    Suezette Boyce-Griffith March 12, 2017 at 9:28 pm

We are fed up and it is time to show cant keep quite and let dem sink the ship to the bottom of the sea rather b or d this country belonhs to us not dem and iys our civil right to fo what is to b done

16. Jamar Haynes March 13, 2017 at 9:33 am

I am sufficiently disgusted with the DLP who has wrecked Barbados to the depths of Caa3 grade from Moody’s. I trust neither party, especially the BLP led by Mia Amor Mottley who I find to be manipulative and who calls people to march when it is expedient for HER to do so. She is wolf in sheep’s clothing. While I bleed for Barbados, I am blessed to live in a country which has AAA rating and still several services are free. No one even pays any doctor in private practice. This country knows how to sustain itself and has resources. So I cannot vote but would not vote for either an am unimpressed with Wendell Callender who is bitter about his loss and that of his wife. He is a good man. But no thanks.

We cannot possibly put our faith in the DLP, known historically for bringing the country to its knees. Ms Mottley has no meaningful relationship with the Unions so there will never be 10 000 people on the road marching like I did in the 90s and the DLP ministersand parliamentary secretaries, some as illiterate as Jepter Ince, Patrick Todd and others and Ministers Kellman (drinking his water while others suffer) and Esther Byer Suckhoo who wants to determine what students should study at UWI. WHo is she, how can she determine that the Univerity is demand driven and not supply driven because they owe so much money to UWI. There obviously cannot be a graduate per household because they owe UWI money. This idiotic idea of hers to completely demotivate students. Everyone does not wish to study vocations and even the Barbados Vocation place will be designed the same way, now VAT on OTC medicine.?? I know we need taxes but how does Chris Sinclers Budget spend make sense if we are broke and we are BROKE. I can go on.

I am a Barbadian and I love my country and weep. I suggest everyone read Bloomberg’s assessment that we are in the same situation as Greece. Does anyone recall PM Stuart bragging “we are not Greece”.

Why don’t all public servants call in sick for two days? Scared of the DLPs known victimization.

whttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-09/ultra-high-yield-club-gets-a-new-member-as-barbados-bonds-slump I rest my case.

Regard and God Bless Barbados

17. Mohammed Zachariah March 13, 2017 at 9:49 am

These fields and hills are no longer our own, they belong to everyone to to whom Barbados owes money will printing it to falsely stay afloat at Caa3 but in fact, this is not sustainable. Another down grade and the sh*t has hit the fan. Anyway@Mark Fenty @Santina and most of you, I agree with some of your comments. Of course accountability and transparency and the sustainability of both is part and parcel of good governance but do you recall when the DLP proposed disbanding the PAC which is responsible for the financial accountability and transparency of Government spending and on what? We still do not know why Dr Hof (pardon me, Estwick) wants to borrow from the UAE. And he will not be transparent either. We can’t afford more loans and if we get them the interest will be monumental because our so-low investment grade at Caa3. I am ashamed of the DLP and said that when I say where I am from to those in my industry (finance) they know about Barbados’ sad state and remind me of when it was “punching above its weight” – Kofi Annan. So sad. @ Santini – both parties are corrupt just the DLP is more corrupt and less interested in the governance and the love of Country.

18. David E Hall
    David E Hall March 13, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Not a sea of red at all literally nor figuratively I heard persons with no axes to grind against the DLP venting their frustration with the current government’s handling of things.

19. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne March 13, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Wake up, Freundel. Wake up!