JAMAICA: Pastor gets 20 years for sex with minor

A Jamaican pastor has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for having sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

The sentence was handed down Friday by Justice Lorna Shelly Williams when he appeared in the Home Circuit Court.

Pastor Reverend Paul Hanniford of the Pentecostal City Mission Church was convicted by a seven-member jury, on January 24 of having sexual intercourse with a minor.

According to Office of the Director of Public Prosecution, the complainant, who is now 15 years old, testified in court that on March 12, 2015, she and her five-year-old brother went to the church for choir practice and after the rehearsal, they asked Pastor Hanniford for a drive out in his van.

The pastor took the children to his house in Kingston where he sexually assaulted the girl.

According to the evidence presented to the court, after the incident, the pastor gave them some cornflakes to eat and later warned the complainant not to tell anyone as it was their “secret”.

In his defence at the trial, the pastor denied having sexual intercourse with the complainant and said that he had given the children a drive out but not on the day in question.

8 Responses to JAMAICA: Pastor gets 20 years for sex with minor

1. Peter March 11, 2017 at 9:56 am

Not to breathe lightly on this Barbadians. It is very rampant right here under our noses. they not only go after the young girls and boys, they go after the nice looking women in their congregation and those who seem wealthy and well off. They are specialists. They find the ones with marital problems, and those that are divorced and single. I know of one who move with about four different women, He eats and drink of alcohol and gets wild donations when he needs. He too is a Pentecost. They all do it. They are highly trusted. and find out a lot of peoples’ secrets and personal business.

2. jrsmith March 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm

This guy/pastor or what ever he think he was , would wish he was in barbados ,because he would have never gone to court ……..
    they would all lined up behind him, because their are all at it in barbados…………………………………

3. allison archer March 11, 2017 at 5:17 pm

there are so many people who cover themselves with a cloak of righteousness but are merely wolves among the sheep and as there is the promise from the Living God Jesus Christ their fruit shall be awarded for it is written Galatians 6:7-9
    Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
    For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
    the bible is Truth, get to Jesus the Savior of the world for today we laugh but tomorrow is judgement
    be bless

• Jennifer March 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm

@allison – that means the cloak was never righteous.

4. Jennifer March 11, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Blame Gullible women too.

5. Leroy March 12, 2017 at 8:53 am

So am I to read the most glaring evidence presented was the testimony of the girl? Was there any physical evidence?

I dont know how to assess these rulings bc many of these courts are a farce, I cant say so about this one but I reserve all judgements til evidence is presented one way or the other.

I simply do not know if justice was done, considering that over the years all that was needed to lock up someone was testimony.

6. MIIB March 12, 2017 at 10:27 am

Smh @ Jennifer. What is wrong with you as female? That mentality you portray belongs in the skip with the maggots and flies. Blame gullible women? I apologise as I can’t fathom how gullible women fits in with being a minor and underage. I am a proud father of three princesses 20, 15 and 16. You silently condone paedophilic behaviour.

Use your dictionary to reinforce what is the definition of a minor as you appear to be confused, again we return to victim blaming. I have realised as a Bajan we have become notorious in our replies to transfixing the offence back to the vulnerable and victims.

Some of you have little intellect and understanding to compare that of being a mature women to being that of a minor. I can assure you our men of the cloth are notorious for preying on the vulnerable youth for top ups and material commodities, not excluding our armed forces, this behaviour is repugnant and deserves long spells in Dodds. Unfortunately they are never caught as we remain blinded by cloak and dagger behaviour and the passing of hush money. Makes me wonder what the march of disgust was about. I know personally women who we impregnated by their father and covered up. FIRE on the lot of you with is mentality, makes me wonder what the March was about recently?

You will hold a minor accountable? Not a grown man? Please check the Barbados statue of limitations on sexual offences.thank the almighty you are not the bearer on my seed. As your head would come off first.

Straight

Smh * 19 as I can’t believe this statement outdoor come from a queen of the earth.

Fire on you Jennifer me nah business ah who and leroy you are quite narrow minded. No wonder our females lack self worth, self dignity and have low self esteem. Try it wid my seeds. I don’t encourage DV as a weak man resorts to that but Jah know….leroy, leroy leroy……. Hope you got boys..

MIIB

7. Alex Alleyne March 12, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Great news for the people of the caribbean. Those persons who reap havoc on our youth from “dusk till dawn” ( between 6pm til 6am”) nust never go unpunished. When will the courts in BIM step up and do the right thing to such person even if they hide behind the “cloth”.