Boycott it!

DLP pleads with Bajans not to support march of disgust

In a last minute appeal to the spirit of patriotism, General Secretary of the ruling Democratic Labour Party (DLP) George Pilgrim is urging Barbadians “not to further tarnish brand Barbados by participating in Saturday’s march of disgust” organised by the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP).

Speaking at a news conference at the party’s George Street, St Michael headquarters Friday morning to launch the DLP’s E-Facts campaign, Pilgrim accused the BLP of working overtime to cast the country in a negative light to the international community, and charged that those who participate in Saturday’s march would be guilty of doing the same.

General Secretary of the Democratic Labour Party George Pilgrim (centre), flanked by party supporters, during today’s press conference.

An unabashed Pilgrim also claimed to have received reports of Opposition attempts to bully and bribe people to attend the protest.

The DLP spokesman, who last October had wrongly predicted that the BLP would emerge from its annual conference with three leaders after an internal coup, provided little to no evidence to back his claim, other than to charge that people were being “harassed by BLP representatives via telephone and called pigs if they did not agree with the march, or were offered money” to participate.

“To those of you who are marching, ask yourself whose backs are you marching for as a result of this money spent. We accept that the times are not ordinary but by marching, you are accepting money and supporting a new dimension in political life. Barbadians, do not destroy Barbados through politics.

“There are challenges and there will be challenges, but what has happened in this country with the proliferation of online activity and spending of money to carry a narrative that things are falling apart in Barbados and this is simply not true.  It has really come to a head in recent past when you realize the extent the Opposition would go by stirring the emotion of people and attempting to ride on the backs of Barbadians. I think it is wrong,” Pilgrim said.

Nonetheless, the DLP General Secretary refused to comment on any possible links between existing negative perceptions of the country and the spate of downgrades since his party assumed office in 2008, the most recent of which took place within the past week by international ratings agencies Standard and Poor’s and Moody’s.

It was only Thursday that Moody’s downgraded Government bond and issuer ratings to Caa3, placing Barbados on the same level as Greece, the Ukraine and Venezuela, and all but stating that the home-grown austerity programme had failed.

The downgrade came six days after Standard & Poor’s last Friday reduced the country to ‘CCC+/C’ on account of its limited financing alternatives and low international reserves.

The financial watchdog Bloomberg also reported yesterday that the island had joined the beleaguered group of countries whose dollar bonds yield more than ten per cent after Moody’s Investors Service said the island was likely to default.

However, Pilgrim maintained that the Freundel Stuart administration was being socially responsible amid the tough economic climate.

He also accused the BLP of lacking social conscience, reiterating his contention that the Mia Mottley-led Opposition had expended considerable sums of money in soliciting support for the march- money he said that could have been otherwise utilized.

“The country is served a diet of gloom and doom by an Opposition party that refuses to tell the truth about their intentions. They have asked Barbadians to protest and pull down this country, but I have checked and I have done the maths. My additions online alone, I have counted five ads per day for the last five days,” he revealed, speculating that the BLP would have spent $20 thousand with a single online entity.

He further estimated that “coupled with the radio ads and other forms of engaging the public, the BLP would have spent over $100,000 in one week in a campaign to sensitize people about the march”.

The DLP spokesman opined that the amount of money spent was shocking given recent staff cuts by the BLP at part of a restructuring exercise.

Barbados TODAY made several attempts reach BLP General Secretary Dr Jerome Walcott for a response to Pilgrims claims, but was unsuccessful.

colvillemounsey@barbadostoday.bb

55 Responses to Boycott it!

1. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore March 11, 2017 at 1:19 am

We’ll be there. There’s no stopping us now. It may surprise you how many supporters that voted DLP In the last election will be there also. You’ve been disgusting.

• Randolph March 11, 2017 at 8:52 am

This is the voice of desperation and fear.What a bunch of foolishness.He should talk about the 10% that they paid back themselves with back pay.Who is giving Barbados a bad name internationally?

• Peter March 11, 2017 at 10:19 am

100% responses in support of this march although I prefer to use the worf WALK. One of DEM supporter, a fellow name Matthews calling himself Arthur. A deportee from Canada who beats up women, Got on Brass Tacks yesterday proclaiming that the march will get violent. To try to scare people into staying away. Another one of their tactics.

2. Leroy March 11, 2017 at 1:55 am

Stupse,,why dont the dlp focus on fixing the country and stop peep bout behind the blp,

3. Philip Matthews
    Philip Matthews March 11, 2017 at 2:07 am

Boycott the DLP

4. Peggy Stoute Morin
    Peggy Stoute Morin March 11, 2017 at 2:14 am

Wish I could be there to march with them.

5. James Austin Bynoe
    James Austin Bynoe March 11, 2017 at 3:15 am

Study this George :::: wunna destroying the nation :::: put pride aside be a patriot —- YOU should be joining the march too

6. Jennifer Giles
    Jennifer Giles March 11, 2017 at 3:17 am

May God go with you all we will continue to prayer for the people of Barbados.

7. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd March 11, 2017 at 3:23 am

YOU ARE THE ONE GUILTY I AM MARCHING!!!

8. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd March 11, 2017 at 3:26 am

STOP THE WINNING GEORGIE GO GET YOUR SOOTHER BECAUSE WE MARCHING WITH MIA

9. Miss uncommitted. March 11, 2017 at 3:34 am

Hahahahahahahaha the DLP has no shame. Did the think that keeping the BLP off the tv would muzzle them forever.

10. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn March 11, 2017 at 4:38 am

If you pay the people from not going. They still going. What happened you frightened. This is just the smoke. The fire ain’t come yet.

11. Bradg March 11, 2017 at 5:06 am

DLP only got themselves to blame for the sorry state of affairs in BIM.

12. Seth St John
    Seth St John March 11, 2017 at 5:07 am

Downgrade after downgrade and the Dems are cool with that, but all of a sudden you think citizens uniting and marching will make us look bad internationally? Nah man, Bridgetown and marching families

13. lime juice March 11, 2017 at 5:15 am

George you trying everything, but if you only know how you sound boy shutup. You, Miss Holder John lovell thee PM and Miss undecided should be marching as well.

14. Bill Sisnett
    Bill Sisnett March 11, 2017 at 5:21 am

Spirit of patriotism is exactly why we are marching. Dumbass

15. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell March 11, 2017 at 6:02 am

After 19 downgrades because of your finance minister bungling….wuh reputation you talking about now?

16. Catherine Lewis March 11, 2017 at 6:12 am

Today I March for the future of my little rock and my daughter s future . Today I March because I am awake to what is going on in Barbados and I hope plenty more are awake as well . Today I March to show our leaders that the people of Barbados may have elected our current Government but they are doing a piss poor job for us and we have a say !! Today I March because I care ………do u ?

17. Adrian Reid
    Adrian Reid March 11, 2017 at 6:24 am

Boycott DEM…

18. Sugar Cox
    Sugar Cox March 11, 2017 at 6:25 am

I listened to him last night on the news n couldn’t believe what this man was saying, every two mins its something with the DLP Barbados name done tarnish by wunna just stop talking

19. Wayne Parravicino March 11, 2017 at 6:33 am

You suggest maintaining integrity in the eyes of the international community while blatantly accusing others of bribery and corruption. Not all wheels turn in the same sludge.
    Nothing but promises and lies, and lies, and lies…

20. Sisleen Greene March 11, 2017 at 7:04 am

Shameless George providing” alternative facts” well too bad all a we marching today to get the real facts.
    All Barbadians are encourage to join the march to save our land from this group of imbeciles.

21. Sisleen Greene March 11, 2017 at 7:04 am

22. Brewster March 11, 2017 at 7:13 am

Everybody who has love for the country and do not want to sink on Dems boat MARCH!!! Release your anger, despair, frustration and sadness over how the country is being run. A non violent protest in numbers will show them that people will not take this awful situation lying down.

23. Harry March 11, 2017 at 7:42 am

Pilgrim would be wise to follow the old saying “best to remain silent and let people believe that you are stupid than to open it and confirm that you are”, then again he never did impress that he had any common sense. Imagine he is chiding the BLP for spending money advertising their march, yet the Dems voted to get back their 10% pay cut

24. chris hill March 11, 2017 at 7:59 am

I going to march. i marched against sandiford administration and going to march today with my entire family, that is 25 votes mr pilgrim and all want to see the DLPs back. these guys sound like they are just desperate to keep people away from speaking their mind. sorry mr Pilgrim we gave your party all this time to get it right and the administration continued to ignore and tarnish our lives.

25. Sam Clarke March 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES. THE DLP MUST RESIGN.

26. Catherine Lewis March 11, 2017 at 9:43 am

Today I march for my little rock that I love so much . Today I march for my daughter s future as does she. Today I march because even though this government have been elected they are doing an awful job .I am awake and I see all that they are doing wrong . I hope plenty more are awake too. Today I march because I care ……..do you ?

27. Donild Trimp March 11, 2017 at 9:50 am

All you people who marching and who wished you would be there to march, can you identify what you are marching about?

Is it to show solidarity with the BLP in attempting to topple the DLP at next election?

If your aim is for the BLP to form the next Gov’t, can any of you state here and now what the BLP can and will do different from what the current Gov’t is doing?

Some people like to jump on bandwagons.

I am waiting with bated breath to hear your response.

• Raymond March 11, 2017 at 10:26 am

I am marching because we are simply sick and tired of the disregard and disrespect this DLP government has for the ppl of Barbados.

Will a BLP government be any different? We will never know until they are in office.

But I like the way you think Donild Trimp, if this March could in anyway topple this these DLP missfits, let the marching start all now until they are gone.

There is this saying “better the devil you know that the one you don’t know”. …

I do know for a FACT that Mia and company can’t do me anything worst than the jokers of Stuart and the DLP.

• hcalndre March 11, 2017 at 11:10 pm

@Donild Trimp, the first thing that the BLP has to do is to get the country out of the mess and downdrades that the DLP has created.

28. Sunshine Sunny Shine March 11, 2017 at 10:07 am

… Mia Mottley does not have to bribe bajans concerning the need to march. Bajans are fed up of you all. The only reason why they will not turn out in the thousands is because you hold the trump card over their heads of job loses through victimization. But they are itching to see you . . . brutes swing low low. You should be ashamed for wearing shirts about facts.

29. just observing March 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

George, even if I did not plan to march before, the damage that was done to my car when I hit a pothole on Sunday last made the decision for me. Wunna ain’t got any money to help me. It all at me. Nobody had to pay me. Sunday ‘s event paid me and many persons with varying experiences like me will be forced to show their displeasure. Don’t dig nutten . You had your say, it is time to leave the stage……… curtain closes.

30. just observing March 11, 2017 at 10:27 am

Donald Trimp (Trump) my garbage has not been collected for two weeks now. Tired paying Skip Services for what I pay taxes for. You obviously live om Mars or you are a diehard. If it don’t fix don’t force it. Try another pair of shoes, Who wears the shoe feels the pinch. Walk a mile in mine. As said above I crying since Sunday last.

31. mervin kellman March 11, 2017 at 10:30 am

Poor George, He bears the burden of a regime that refuses to accept that it has not done well by the people of this country.He carries the tone of an unrepentant criminal, insisting to the end that his action was taken in the best interest of the victim. He is dangerous because he is driven by fear and desperation for he is well aware that unless he can come up with some sinister master stroke, his game is up.

32. Donild Trimp March 11, 2017 at 10:44 am

@just observing: Once again I challenge you to tell all concerned Barbadians what the BLP will do different from what the DLP is doing.

FYI, I am no die hard, I am a realist. You want your garbage picked up, then support privatizing the sanitation department.

Anytime an opposition party cannot articulate what they will do differently from the ruling Gov’t if elected to power, red flags start swirling around.

It is in you interest to think twice because all you will be doing is
    satisfying an emotion for a short period of time and before you know it, you are back to square one.

• harry turnover March 11, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Donald Tripe wha NONSENSE you talking bout.Opposition parties don’t have to say jack SH8 to a fella about their plans . As the late David Thompson said when in Opposition sometime back ‘ I don’t have to say ANYTHING,they are the Government ‘and David Thompson din went on to win de Guvment ?

• Donild Trimp March 11, 2017 at 3:03 pm

@harry turnover: “Opposition parties don’t have to say jack SH8 to a fella about their plans”

So Mr.Turnover, if you do not know what another party will do if elected to power, why would you vote for them?

Your logic is warped. Going by your logic, the BIM party or UPP or my party the SOBP should have the same opportunity as the BLP to form the next Gov’t because you and all the marchers are clueless as to what any of us plan to do for the people of Barbados if elected.

33. FedupCitizen March 11, 2017 at 11:05 am

I am marching/walking today for my future, for my future childrens future and for my country. What a disgrace this government has been for the last couple years. And most of all, this government blantantly lies to the citizens of Barbados despite the facts being right in our faces, how insulting!!!!!

Not every Barbadian is ignorant or follows political propaganda. They are raw and real facts out there people, go and seek them out people.

34. P Vincent March 11, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Donald Trimp. The DLP has shown all Bajans over the last 9 years they are not capable of running this economy effectively. Just as was done in 1994 once the present Government is removed from office confidence will return and you will be surprised to see how this economy will turn around
    PV

35. Romeld March 11, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Seems like the general Secretary believes that the DEMS are doing a good enough job of destroying Barbados all by themselves, no help needed.

36. Waiting March 11, 2017 at 1:24 pm

And Donald Trimp your PM don’t want to hear from anybody as he said they won the elections and they are governing, so MIA & Owen & everybody else should keep their mouths shut, until it is time to Praise the Lord after he leaves office.

• Donild Trimp March 11, 2017 at 3:19 pm

@Waiting:
      Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me get this right.

Your reason for voting for a party is the following:

“MIA & Owen & everybody else should keep their mouths shut”

Lawd have mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. sunshinecanada March 11, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Yes, We here and everywhere, is marching too,

38. Donild Trimp March 11, 2017 at 3:40 pm

@sunshinecanada:
    So sunshine, what is your reason for marching?

39. Jennifer March 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Barbados today please get some good, yummy pics of the marchers, especially corporate barbados. Thanks in advance.

• Peter March 11, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Yes BT. get photos of blacks walking in white clothes and whites walking in black clothes. Jennifer, if you do wear underwear at all, do you wear white or black. I’d like to know what you cover up the hidden thing with under there.

40. Bajangal March 11, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Disgusted with all of them!
    Why? We have had 30 years of poor government ; just check the BWA, QEH, Transport and sanitation, all in a mess for decades. Nothing gets done properly, no problems are solved while the opposing parties point fingers at one another and draw a salary off the backs of hardworking Bajans. Now it is worse than ever!
    We need people that have the interest of Barbadians at heart, we need leaders that are interested in solving our problems and taking Barbados forward. I pray that we find some. Smh.

• Jennifer March 11, 2017 at 7:00 pm

@Bajangal – Good luck on that one.

41. Aneta March 11, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Clown. Came to the people of this country with non-issues. Wheel and come again pilgrim. You ain’t sucker punching this former dem supporter any more. I dun wid wunna. Your group of fools raped and robbed this country and our people of everything

42. fakenews March 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm

George Pilgram-Conway. Does Freundel have tweeter.

43. Nathaniel Samuels March 12, 2017 at 12:24 am

You and yours are the ones who have tarnished the Barbados brand. Even Prime Ministers from the region have, within the last two years, said that this country does not hold the kind of appeal and respect that it once had. I wonder why. Do you in the DLP party ever wonder why? Do you ever think what the downgrades mean for Barbados? Do you think you have done a good job for the time you have been in charge of government? Whatever your answer, we are fed up of you and want you to go, sooner rather than later.

44. jrsmith March 12, 2017 at 6:06 am

Bajans the 99% who are black need protection from our politicians ,,,,,, we need to be able to remove from office politicians who are doing nothing for the country or people ..

The people who voted for them , is securing their jobs for a term and no matter what , these politicians show no respect or offers no accountability to anyone you like it or lump it……..
    Bajans should see by now how shameful our island is being portraited and exposed around the world and not one politician really cares ….
    Bajans ,,,,,,,,,, we need to protect ourselves and future generation from an issue which we are stuck with, not being able to remove our politicians from office when they are total failures..
    All parties need to update they constitutions before the next general election adding, which give the constituencies the right to remove a member of parliament after a vote of no confidence in that person him/her from the office ……..

45. Helicopter (8P) March 13, 2017 at 11:03 am

Remember! One Barbados under the Sun, Moon and Stars! but many forms of political mentality. Here are some forms of political thinking. Power, Greed, Humanity, Supremacy, Socialism and Communism, Democracy!