Forced out

Court orders family homes demolished

A St George family is Thursday looking for a place to call home after a court order to demolish their home.

The Gibbons family in Workman’s, St George watched helplessly as court marshals pulled down one of the two wooden structures they have called home for the last 27 years.

The other structure has not yet been demolished, but it is unclear how much longer it will remain standing.

Rashida Gibbons speaking to a police officer while marshals demolished her home.

When Barbados TODAY visited the area, members of the family could be seen gathering their personal items among the debris from the demolished house.

Also on the scene was Member of Parliament for the area Gline Clarke, who promised to do all he could to assist the family.

“This situation has been going on a very long time. She was supposed to get off around Christmas time last year. I asked the lawyers to give us until the end of January, which they did but then no one got back to me. Then the marshal came down here and told them that they were going to put them off in a week’s time but they never told me that.

“We are trying our very best to help them because they are poor but they are decent people. We are really trying to help them. We called the welfare agencies, Ministry of Housing, we are going to get some help for them,” he said.

Rashida Gibbons and her sister Rosita removing personal belongings during the demolition process.

Clarke said while a spot had already been secured for the family to put their house, the immediate concern was lodging over the next few days.

“We are trying our best to find somewhere to put them for the next few days. The manager of Cottage Plantation has provided a spot for them but then we have to look for putting them up now.”

The owner of the demolished house Rashida Gibbons, who resided there with her two children, was visibly upset to the point of tears.

This home is also
due for demolition.

“All we asked for was a little more time to find somewhere to go and this is what going on ‘bout here. We ask for leniency and you trying to tell me this is what is going to happen today? I get a little something to do a couple days a week, I trying. I feel real bad; look at all my things outside exposed to the world. This is real embarrassing. I have no idea where I’m going to go tonight. I have my two children there what am I going to tell them?

“I feel real shame. We just ask the lady[landlady] for a little more time; this is her land. We ask she for time. We were on this land from the time I was small, more than
20 years I was down here, what’s two or three more months? Why you would allow something like this to happen? She sleeping in she bed tonight so she don’t care,” the upset mother said of the unidentified landlady.

Her mother Clavil Gibbons, who lives in the still to be demolished house with her other adult daughter and son, could manage but a few words to Barbados TODAY.

The matriarch suffers from high blood pressure and at the time said she was experiencing an awful headache.

She said the family had tried to pay the rent on numerous occasions but the landlady had refused to take it.

“I never saw the woman until recently when they went to court. I was home when they came. I asked them to give me some more time. But the lady said she wants her land. I have a headache. This whole thing just hurts real bad,” she said, while holding her head.

davandrababb@barbadostoday.bb

57 Responses to Forced out

1. Sophia Rock
    Sophia Rock March 10, 2017 at 12:32 am

So sad

2. Aquarius Feb
    Aquarius Feb March 10, 2017 at 12:43 am

I hope they will be comfortable again soon this is sad

3. Divina Mitchell
    Divina Mitchell March 10, 2017 at 12:58 am

Life.life nah easy hear . really really sad.so much we’re being face daily in this beautiful god given world.only god knows.but all I know what goes around comes back to us, no matter how long it may seems.life is so sweet and short lived.i hope and pray that God grant a wonderful and blessed housing to yhis family.

4. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell March 10, 2017 at 1:20 am

Today fuh me tommorow fuh you

• thickysweets March 10, 2017 at 10:15 am

so true

5. Eve Bonnie Sutherland
    Eve Bonnie Sutherland March 10, 2017 at 1:40 am

The good lord will provide them with shelter as he is able

6. Christopher Macauley
    Christopher Macauley March 10, 2017 at 1:45 am

Surely find another accommodation for them first. Instead of shaming them and demolish it in front of them . Wicked people.

7. Faith Selman
    Faith Selman March 10, 2017 at 1:56 am

Hoping and praying that they find a place real soon. These are good ppl

8. Pat James
    Pat James March 10, 2017 at 1:57 am

Omg….so sad….pray they would fine some where….God dont like ugly

9. Buddy Love
    Buddy Love March 10, 2017 at 2:27 am

… You Bajans need to wake up from the mental shackles of religion. They had plenty of notice and the lady wanted her land. Why don’t you God loving Christians invite her into your home? That’s love… or is that too much? You see you like to sit back and judge while on your pulpits but your actions fall short of your words.

10. Alfred C Miller
    Alfred C Miller March 10, 2017 at 3:34 am

In this day and age ppl still fussing over something them can’t take nowhere, check back in a month and see d amount of bush where d house was…

• Elaine Debrain
      Elaine Debrain March 10, 2017 at 4:06 am

So true

• Leroy March 10, 2017 at 10:20 am

Do you know if the owner wants to build?
      And frankly, if the owner refuses to take the $ says to me either of 2 things,
      1. Landlord was very lenient for 10 years or
      2. It took them 10 years to vacate.

In any of the 2 above options, the landlord does not appear to be as bad as this article is trying to paint, what is missing is the land lords perspective but I guess the journalists do not understand their job that well(please present both side of story or atleast state you have tried to get landlords side unsuccessfully).

• Linda Hoyte March 10, 2017 at 11:20 am

I totally agree with you Leroy lets hear the other side of the story.

• Nb March 10, 2017 at 7:20 pm

So true Leroy I can’t agree with u more.

11. Ryan Gaskin
    Ryan Gaskin March 10, 2017 at 4:06 am

Dont worry 6 feet of a grave is all the land she going get

12. Anita Cox
    Anita Cox March 10, 2017 at 4:29 am

This is sad

13. Maverine Haynes
    Maverine Haynes March 10, 2017 at 4:33 am

We suppose to be a develop country the government should not be allowing that to happen to families. The land belong to the state.

14. Val March 10, 2017 at 4:52 am

When you all die you don’t see no U-HALL TRUCK at the grave yard with our worldly Possession, house and land for us to take with us. See how far she can take her land when it’s time for her to go.
    I pray God bless you and your family with a home and much more

15. Caroline Eastmond
    Caroline Eastmond March 10, 2017 at 5:12 am

So sorry rashida my prayers are with you

16. Iteebah Cadogan
    Iteebah Cadogan March 10, 2017 at 5:16 am

Seriously heartless man

17. Sherry-ann Mayers
    Sherry-ann Mayers March 10, 2017 at 5:34 am

In a time u all celebrating women’s day ,look how another woman displaces another woman’s family and put her and her children on the road,sad,so sad

18. Ms. Reality March 10, 2017 at 6:09 am

It is sad but at the same time if it was your property would you shut your eyes and let them stay seriously would you??????????? They got notice and was supposed to leave since January it’s March now though!!!!! Some may not agree but reality is reality.

19. Hazelanne Lewis
    Hazelanne Lewis March 10, 2017 at 6:11 am

I dont understand why after all these years she would just want to push the people off the land. Unless she wants to sell it. Then she could at least have given them the option to buy the land.

20. Ricardo O
    Ricardo O'neal March 10, 2017 at 6:18 am

This is so so sad ,I kno how wanna feeling today , but remember d lord is not sleeping what goes around come right back around

21. Kool Rasta
    Kool Rasta March 10, 2017 at 6:18 am

She will dead and left it naked she came into this world and naked she gine left this world

22. Karen March 10, 2017 at 6:48 am

When I read of such incidents I’m hurt but to read this; knowing the family I don’t know what Im feeling but I know im crying my heart hurts asi type this. What MP Gline Clarke said is absolutely true they are a poor family but decent always willing have to assist in the communities. I know the land is owned by the ‘land lady’ therefore she can do what she wants with’her’ land. How does one feel after treating another human like this, especially when children are involved. I pray this family’s getsback together in a comfortable home. God don’t want us to live like this we need to be our brothers keeper think of wht we want for ourselves and our loved ones. Rashida I know u are fighter this too shall pass.

23. Nikita March 10, 2017 at 7:03 am

Bet the land stand there n gather Bush smh by the grace a d Lord

24. MJ March 10, 2017 at 7:34 am

Where is the Minister of HOUSING ??? Why do they have a multi million dollar statutory board called NHC on country road? I’m lost here. I see abandoned houses all across this island … . Why are they plundering the treasury while people suffer with indignity. The dipper must be rolling in his grave to see what life has come to on this little island.

25. Sue Donym March 10, 2017 at 8:15 am

Wishing the best for the displaced family. But why heap scorn on the landlady? Obviously she would have given notice to the former residents, and it’s clear that the court sought to protect the rights of the land owner. The court would have considered the facts offered by each side and in MP Clarke’s words this was “going on a very long time” and the landowner had even consented to an extension – not the unreasonable person some commenters are trying to portray.

Who’s to say that the owner does not want the space for an even more distressed family member. Whatever the reason, the owner should not be forced to sell to this family or give up her right to use the land – or not use it – in a way that the law allows.

Question: in the landlady’s situation, which of the commenters, safely mounted on their high horses could state that they would allow the family to stay ad infinitum, possibly ignoring their own or their relatives’ needs for a spot?

• Reddis March 10, 2017 at 10:04 am

Question is : Does she own the land???

People does put up a front and d’nt own squat!
      We’ll see what happens cause i following this story.

26. Maria March 10, 2017 at 8:55 am

All the land she has she is only going to have a 6ft hole and for how long some people jus ungreatful and believe that because they have it it gives them the right to do what they so please I bet you she going church this weekend and say “praise God ,amen” but he doesn’t like ugly remember that landlady.

• Just March 10, 2017 at 11:56 pm

Maria, what makes the landlord so “ungrateful”? What if she’s having her own difficulties? We don’t know the sacrifices she faced in life to obtain the said land. As the MP stated, it’s beeen going on for a period of time. Y’all commenters need to comment with more logic.

• Just March 10, 2017 at 11:59 pm

It’s an unfortunate situation for the family, but y’all cannot condemn another person for what’s rightfully their own.

27. Blackopps69 March 10, 2017 at 9:46 am

It is so amazing that this can happen to this family going from what I read in a matter of months but yet Mark Monley structure still standing TALL wow I just love the court and justice system in Barbados smh wow

28. Onichawilson March 10, 2017 at 11:03 am

So hurting, rasheda be strong ,today for you, tomorrow someone Else .my sister u are going too make it.

29. Tedd March 10, 2017 at 11:06 am

the owner of the land is not unreasonable by expecting rent consistently. people sacrifice to buy land and it is only fair that they get a return on their investment.

30. Truth Seeker March 10, 2017 at 11:28 am

So tell me, MP Gline Clarke,explain what you mean by poor but decent people. It conveys to me that if you are poor you are not decent. or to be more precise,if you are black and poor in this lovely brain wash community of ours you are well and truly stigmatized, pushed to the curb, walked over and scorned by your own kind.

Where are the Women’s groups? where are the social activists?, where are the church groups?.Oh yea,I forgot it’s enough to just march in public and spew a bunch of rhetoric that means not one iota to the plight of this family.

31. Keron March 10, 2017 at 12:49 pm

People always put material things over life ..idc wat people sacrifice or how hard they work for land ,house,car,business..etc.. life comes first especially wen children an old people involed.. I wud of give dem the time they ask for an even try to find a place for dem before i do wat i wan to do as the landlord ..Mankind is a warewolf..so sad…so sad.. my heart hurts!!!

32. Leo March 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I hope she can put the land in her grave when God call her home.
    This is very shameful. I really feel your pain

33. S. P. March 10, 2017 at 1:55 pm

I think that the landlady was in the right here, she gave them notice and when Christmas came they asked for an extension due to the time of year. She gave an extension, which is more than she had to do.

People like this family will get extension after extension after extension and continue with every sad story in the book. At the end of the day the land lady did what she needed to be done in a lawful manner.

I do hope this family finds somewhere to go, but i do believe that what happened was right. The family was given ample time and warning.

34. gsmiley March 10, 2017 at 2:15 pm

there has to be another side to this story. we only hearing from the ‘victims’.

you all may be surprised if you heard from the landlord.

35. MIIB March 10, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Been reading comments, the owner has every right to push it down, to get to that stage you would have thought ample notices from courts and solicitors where ignored. You don’t pay no land tax, and seeking compassion? My property, ample time and notice you were provided with. No compromise. You must be out lotto money for land.

As for Maloney, slaves speak in hushed whispers and massa still rules the land. My boys had a shed built on land that was filled with centipedes, rats and was the dumping ground. Paid for two trucks to move the stoves, old cars and tyres. Given not their land. Plant some plants beautify the area, low and behold so much task force and cops. Guess what they brought? A big bulldozer pushed it in one heap and they met resistance verbally, of course, this caused them to register their weapons, lay on the ground and depic some war manoeuvres.

If you bruk you will fart. Come off the people land.

36. makka March 10, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Cuse Cuse! These are my people, yet since the supposable abolition of slavery, have left all with insufficient hard earned finances to fall below the bread line. Is pity the only help we can hope for? After all this time what is ours really if not everything everywhere we have been forced to set up shop with no with foundation or an ever shifting one. For the sake of the all why are my people so negligent to each other to please our oppressors.

37. striker March 10, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Let’s see how long that land remains unoccupied, from now on

38. Ego March 10, 2017 at 3:25 pm

There has to be an other side to this fiasco. There are supposed to be many unoccupied Gvt. houses, please place this family in one of them in a hurry. This lady has minors in her care.

39. Roneta Smith March 10, 2017 at 5:47 pm

If the land is not yours and u are asked to leave, do…Should know the owner wants her land and u still think u can go to layup? Please lady…Why do people think they can earn other people’s property?

40. harry turnover March 10, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Sorry for the family but landlords got rights too.I know of landlords who had to take off,doors,windows even roofs to get tenants to leave.
    This person went through the Courts.

41. Observer March 10, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Don’t Barbados have enough homeless people the cost of living in barbados is high people can’t always do what they have to do when they want to do it,now you have a hold family in the streets demolishing a person home is ridiculous and drastic I wish blessings to that family

42. ch March 10, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Some Bajans have a nasty attitude towards property owners. When you want a place to rent, it’s one face but then you settle in and default on paying rent or just renege on your contract or, simply refuse to vacate when the time is up.
    People who use THEIR money to buy land and pay their land tax have a right to their property. Simple.
    When you’re an adult, you have an obligation to develop your life so that you’re not a beggar or a burden to someone else. Over all those years, those tenants had time to do that and they are responsible for their situation.
    All of the persons making negative remarks about the land owner can find this family and take them in at them.

• Jane March 11, 2017 at 12:26 am

All of you who are casting aspersions on this land owner are of the same mind set as these squatter. “Ask not what your Country can do for you but what you can do for your country.
      Furthermore, where did our Pride and Industry go?

43. C 'Shammua Mekonnen' Roach March 11, 2017 at 3:09 am

If anyone here, like ch, knows this family’s true plight, without bringing someone else’s situation or, hypothesizing, you good. If you don’t, quit the speculations on this family, if Ms. Gibbons is credible, then Ms. Gibbons needs empathy and, sympathy.

Here is how we as a people should be looking at this. The Homes that have been built past and present, that are unoccupied, put Ms. Gibbons and her family in one, Ms. Gibbons and her family, like all us, pay our taxes for situations such as this, to keep our Island’s Socioeconomic fabric comfortable.

This is very important people.

Regards

44. decourcey March 11, 2017 at 7:18 am

The question that not being asked were they paying land rent. Next question why after so many years the landlord diceded to come back for the land and if people listen to both side then pass judgement

45. Bajancanuck March 12, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Rashida May the almighty assist you and your kids. Chin up . Does anyone know how we can get some help to this woman from Toronto?

46. Helicopter(8P) March 13, 2017 at 10:18 am

This matter was said to have occurred months ago. I believe it should have been put froward to the representative for the district and humanitarian measures dispersed immediately after being warranted due to the fact that minors were involved. We need to do better Barbados in situations when minors are involved. I appreciate that the owner of Cottage Estate has offered some relief to the family. Lets hope that the property is made environmentally productive within the near future. I am a concerned citizen!