UPDATE-NAMES ADDED-Road Fatality at Westmoreland, St James

A 48-year-old man is Barbados’ latest road fatality.

Anderson Dacosta Joseph was reportedly attempting to cross the road at Westmoreland, St James tonight in the company of his five-year-old son Nazaria Joseph when he was struck by a grey Nissan Sentra motor vehicle.

The accident occurred around 10 p.m., just a stone’s throw from the victim’s home.

The child was transported to hospital by ambulance for medical treatment.

The driver of the Nissan vehicle was a 19-year-old Nicholii Greene of Carlton, St James.

Up to 11 p.m., the victim’s body was still on the scene.

His death brings to 12 the number of road fatalities in Barbados so far this year — two more than the ten which occurred for all of last year.

33 Responses to UPDATE-NAMES ADDED-Road Fatality at Westmoreland, St James

1. Lavenne Walcott
    Lavenne Walcott March 6, 2017 at 5:31 am

So sad we got to be careful on de road my Sympathy’s go out to de familly

2. Maxx March 6, 2017 at 6:06 am

Sad to hear I live nearby .Area is dark and drivers come down the hill known as clarie hill very fast. There is no pedestrian crossing which is needed. This is the second fatality there

3. Demhac Ttolnud
    Demhac Ttolnud March 6, 2017 at 6:06 am

Leandra Wilkinson

4. june March 6, 2017 at 7:39 am

Sorry. Only last night on Black Rock Main Rd I had to ask a pedestrian why was he weaving between cars just to cross the road and a pedestrian crossing was about 20 ft away.

5. randolph thomas March 6, 2017 at 7:54 am

I live in London a population of 8 million people
    if we drove the way I have seen in Barbados when
    visiting , the hospital would not be able to cope
    You need to teach driver’s that on a small Island
    with narrow road’s , is not a race track.
    My condolence t0 the families of all the departed .

• Peter March 6, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Randolph Thomas. I see your point and fully agree with you. I drive in London, all over the USA and Canada, France, Germany Sweden Norway and Denmark and it is totally different, well organized and safe. It is completely different to driving in almost anywhere in the Caribbean. I’ll admit Republic of Ireland and Italy it’s touch and go. Latin America? whew. people back onto highways there. and somewhat like Trinidad, they’re very unmannerly. Drive carefully all.

6. Lenora March 6, 2017 at 8:25 am

Sad

7. Lenora March 6, 2017 at 8:27 am

But where de hell he did speending going?

8. Peter March 6, 2017 at 8:43 am

It seems as though every road fatality in Barbados is now caused by speeding vehicles. Once you are driving a vehicle, you’re wrong. It does not matter if the pedestrian sees you coming, they decide that you MUST stop and let them cross. It matters not that You pay road tax, driver license, nor vehicle insurance. As a driver, I say to myself, ‘no problem, animals have the right of way.”

• T March 6, 2017 at 12:23 pm

I agree with you Peter. People stepping off the sidewalks and when they on the crossing they aren’t waiting for you to stop!! I really wish they would see it from our point of view. Another thing that I see often… blowing your car horn doesn’t make a difference because they DO NOT look back to see any incoming danger. I’ve become more aware since the girl’s death, and let me tell you, It is NOT always the driver!! C,mon man

• Tt March 6, 2017 at 8:43 pm

My sentiments exactly

9. Ifiya Cummins
    Ifiya Cummins March 6, 2017 at 8:55 am

Feeling sad my condolence to family and friends

10. ACE March 6, 2017 at 9:05 am

@ LENORA AND PETER WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION THAT THE DRIVER WAS SPEEDING. I READ THE ARTICLE AND NOWHERE IN THE ARTICLE DID IT SAY THAT THE DRIVER WAS SPEEDING. THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING IS WHY WOULD THE FATHER PUTTING HIS CHILD IN DANGER BY CROSSING THE ROAD WHEN IT IS NOT SAFE.

• Peter March 6, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Ace. I never wrote that the driver was speeding. However in the news that gave details, they said the driver was 19 YEARS OLD! Chew on that! I maintain that I NEVER wrote that he was speeding. It’s fair to say that being so young, he may have got his drivers license not long ago and is somewhat inexperienced. At 9:00 p.m. in the evening he should have his headlamps on and should have seen them from a fair distance . Were they wearing reflective clothing or gear? I am not saying they were in the wrong. Were they struck on the side of the highway or on the highway itself?

• Peter March 6, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Let me add that the father died at the scene. The little 5 year old child is hospitalized in a serious condition with a fractured skull and leg broken in two places. Should that child survive will he suffer brain damages so intense that he might become dysfunctional? If he pulls through, and I hope he does. No amount of counseling and even comforting will erase that incident. You think about that and try to sleep well.

• hcalndre March 6, 2017 at 8:55 pm

@Ace, it seems that almost 90% of pedestrians that is involve in vehicle accidents die and I would say that speeding is the main factor, the pedestrian don`t get a second chance.

11. Yvonne March 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

It is very sad. As a driver myself I am slow down when adults and chrildren are crossing the roads. We all have to lookout for one another.
    May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

I pray that God will comfort the family especially his son who was with him and also the driver of the car.

12. Christopher hill March 6, 2017 at 9:10 am

Pedestrians have to take some of the blame some of them does do bare sh..e on these roads .

13. Christopher hill March 6, 2017 at 9:13 am

Lenora were u there to see what happen or as usual jumping on everyone’s bandwagon about speeding.speed might not have even been a factor in this case.

14. Cecilyalleyne March 6, 2017 at 9:52 am

Would you say the same thing if it were one of yr family members crossing the road? there is is an ungaurding moment for everyone sometimes in life haven’t. you ever heard that?

15. jrsmith March 6, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Road management thats the problem, speed limits , pedestrian crossings, cameras … vehicle number plate identification which would tell on a data base if the person who driving is qualified to do so, any previous accidents , if the vehicle is insured, or having false number plates.. or if the vehicle is road worthy , lots of cheap technology,
    Islands in the region is trying to introduce technology to stop the vehicle road madness ,,, why not barbados…..

16. jrsmith March 6, 2017 at 12:12 pm

If white people were being Killed by vehicular accidents and by guns as what’s happening to bajan black people , the politicians would solve that problem pronto, pronto……..

17. Bajan0722 March 6, 2017 at 1:30 pm

@christopherhill are you hearing yourself? Someone’s dad uncle cousin son was killed tonight while crossing the highway with his 5 year old son! Would you have made that irrelevant statement if it happened to your mom?! I think not!
    My condolences to the family at this time. I hope justice is served!

18. Leta Deguillard
    Leta Deguillard March 6, 2017 at 1:35 pm

My sincerest condolences to the family we as a nation need to come together as one pray because this is getting frightening as the numbers show that road fatality figures to date has surpass all of 2016

19. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley March 6, 2017 at 2:49 pm

How sad, how shocking for his poor son to witness this. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

20. ACE March 6, 2017 at 3:28 pm

You can not have a highway with pedestrian crossing or bicycles on it. Recipe for disaster, the roads were design and constructed bad in the first place. drivers have to pay more attention to their surroundings and pedestrians have to be more vigilant. blame have to be cast on both sides

21. Tahmia March 6, 2017 at 3:42 pm

That road is very dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers. Only God knows the truth. R.I.P. to the deceased and let us hope and pray that the son recovers.

22. Andy Bishop March 6, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Maybe if you were living in Westmoreland you would understand when someone came to the conclusion that the driver was probably speeding. I’m also from the same area and daily you see buses , cars and trucks driving at a very fast rate of speed through the village. Something needs to be done to control these drivers. Either lower the speed limit through these neighborhoods or install traffic lights or fourway stops at the intersection. Two lives lost within a year in the village. How many more will be killed before something is done. My condolences to his family. I was looking forward to seeing him again on my next visit home. Andy Bishop

23. Mikey March 6, 2017 at 9:57 pm

@jrsmith,,, Again, spewing out what is fit for Mangrove.
    Can you name the islands that are using cheap technology to stop madness on their roads ??? Can you name the type of technology that Barbados is NOT using ???

PLEASE NAME THE TECHNOLOGY .

24. Outside March 6, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Another one,driving like a damn fool with no experience,and an innocent man lost his life ,condolences to the family

25. Outside March 6, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Christopher hill in feel sorry for you,if you are driving with some sense and experience a lot of things can be avoided ,but when you are driving like you are the only one in the streets there isn’t a damn thing that you can avoid you don’t have to be present to know certain things can be avoided you’ll need to change your driving habits in barbados

26. Ann Harding March 8, 2017 at 8:19 am

Pray also for the young driver who must now wake each day with the memory of killing someone and seriously harming a young child, regardless of where all faults lie. We are all too aware of the risks pedestrians must take here where there are no sidewalks and bushes grow out into roads, potholes, rough surfaces, no lane markings, uneven road edges, no lights, speeding and other careless driving habits. I have seen pedestrians walking on that very stretch of road, dark at night, wearing very dark clothing, almost invisible to even a careful driver. There are so many risks being taken by too many, drivers and pedestrians alike. I pray for the family, especially the boy, and also the driver. So many lives sadly affected.