Shame on Dem, cries former DLP rep

A former Democratic Labour Party (DLP) political candidate is crying shame over Government’s sacking yesterday of Central Bank Governor Dr DeLisle Worrell.

Nigel Harper, who went up against former Prime Minister Owen Arthur in St Peter and lost in the May 21,2003 general elections, said he was simply “distressed” by the move.

Nigel Harper

Harper, who is now in his 70s, took to Facebook this morning to signal his disgust over the firing, while accusing his own political party of engaging in “reckless”and “autocratic” behaviour.

“I never thought that at my age I would have to return to the fray to defend whatever integrity remains in Barbados. I am distressed that the Governor [a worker] was removed in such an autocratic manner,” said Harper, who  is also a former president of the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW).

With general elections only 12 months away, he further accused the ruling DLP of “panicking”, whilst boldly assuring the former Governor that “if there is one BARBADIAN who is with you, IT IS I!”

AT ODDS: Central Bank Govenor Dr DeLisle Worrell and Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler.

The DLP stalwart also took a nasty swipe at Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler, who was responsible for triggering Worrell’s departure, warning him that he may never get the opportunity become Prime Minister of Barbados.

Harper’s public outburst came less than 24 hours after 72-year-old Worrell – whose second five-year contract as Governor was due to expire in another two years – was formally dismissed on Friday.

The move came at the height of a bitter public fallout with the ruling DLP over Worrell’s insistence that Government needed to immediately stop the printing of money and to embark on further spending cuts to both stabilize the Barbados currency and the economy in general.

At the same time, Worrell’s own generous spending at the Bank was called into question, as well as his management style and overall administration of the affairs at the island’s monetary authority.

This led to a demand by Sinckler, who was under pressure from the Central Bank’s Board of Governors, for Worrell to either step down or be fired by February 13.

However, it was only after the Court of Appeal on Thursday dismissed a second legal challenge brought by the Governor that Sinckler was able to proceed with his firing, prompting Harper’s outrage.

Saying he knew what it was like to be fired, the retired public administrator, who was once sacked by the Tom Adams Government, also accused the former Arthur-led Barbados Labour Party administration of shaming former Governor Winston Cox, who was dismissed back in 1999 after serving just two years in the post.

Following is the full post made by the former DLP representative and ex-NUPW boss:

I am distressed that the Governor (a worker) was removed in such an autocratic manner. We shamed DeLisle and sometime ago we shamed [former Central Bank Governor] Winston Cox, not only in Barbados and the Caribbean, but throughout the world.
Both parties [with a common “p”] have complained about the performance of public officers whilst in office. They have moved Permanent Secretaries around, but not one has ever been removed for dereliction of duty?
So why remove the Governor for using a big stick? He did it his way. As it appears he earned the renewal of his contract for doing his job under great difficulty, and his solution was to ostracize his adversaries. Why extend his contract?
Did his subordinates ‘bad talk’ him with Chris and for whatever other reasons he seized the opportunity to relieve him of the position.
Now I know what I am talking about. The Minister who axed me for commenting on the 11+ never became P.M. or G.G. Sinckler will hardly get the opportunity to be a Donald, because he and his colleagues are panicking with a year to go and they are already showing how reckless they can become.
If my life continues on this plane. I shall add to this in one of the books I am writing.
In the meantime, I wish to conclude by assuring DeLisle that if there is one BARBADIAN who is with you, IT IS I! ”

(Ends)

16 Responses to Shame on Dem, cries former DLP rep

1. Sunshine Sunny Shine February 25, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Worrell Deserves what he got. This is what happens when you submit your integrity to puppet masters. THEY CUT YOUR STRINGS. I hope after his dismissal he will confess all of his sins.

• harry turnover February 25, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Nah !!…his payout will include for ” keeping he mout zipped “

• Frank White February 27, 2017 at 7:12 am

Agreed…

2. Hal Austin February 25, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Publishing a full press release is not journalism. Any secretary could have done that. Plse practice journalism; the people of Barbados deserve better.

3. dick February 25, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Nigel Harper still hitting hard but worrell deserve it, only thing chris should be fired too but with 12 months away I feel he should stay in that position and continue to make a fool of himself.

4. Carson C Cadogan February 25, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I didnt hear him say anything when Owen Arthur fired Central Bank Gov. Winston Cox.

5. Alex Alleyne February 25, 2017 at 2:45 pm

The NEW Governor of the Central Bank going into the job with a “full head of black hair”, will it be all gone by the end of 2 years and looking like his junior partner ???????.

6. Ernesta Catlyn February 25, 2017 at 3:13 pm

You are quite right on the panic aspect. I maintain that this will be an interesting year since all will be done to convince the electorate that they are action people as ‘he of little consequence’ Blackette said in the house recently.

7. Greengiant February 25, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Nigel Harper the failed, Trade Unionist, failed politician, failed sports administrator who had and probably still have a problem with his race of people. I thought you had gone off the planet, maybe to Poland or one of your preferred European destinations.

This is the real problem in our country, you were silent silent when Owen fired Cox, but you can’t be silent when your brother in arms gets fired. Well harps, I’m not getting into the politics of it like you but all employees can be fired. You mentioned the fact that no permanent secretary has been fired. Laughable mate, your trade union mouthpiece has rotted. You surely wouldn’t have said this in the past. Really though, at seventy you can get your brother Delisle to retire and like you become an author. Maybe, just maybe harps, we can get some truth on the history of politics and the trade union movement in this country so our future generations can be smarter. I can recall my days in conversation with you and your polish friend while you lived in the St. Pauls Avenue area. Stay away from politics Nigel because change is coming, we will shake the foundations of the BLP and DLP, I know many of you old Westminster soldiers will die of the shock.

8. North Point February 25, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Nigel please stay in your jungle where you have been for years, where were you all the years. I am SMH.

9. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 25, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Shamed on DEMs, GET THEM OUT!!!

10. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore February 25, 2017 at 8:17 pm

It is virtually impossible for this bunch of DLP hooligans to feel a sense of shame. An argument is being advanced that suggests that PM Stuart is not taking action to right the economy because of the resultant social dislocation. The truth is that he is delaying corrective action in fear of losing an election I’m sure is already lost, not out of concern for the citizens. This DLP, unlike any other party in Barbados’ history, is just content on playing politics.

11. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn February 25, 2017 at 9:26 pm

THE FINANCE MINISTER TREAT THIS MAN LIKE A DOG. I WILL LIKE MR DAVID THOMPSON TO COME BACK ALIVE TO SEE HOW THESE DLP MINISTERS HAVE BARBADOS. THOMPSON HAVE TO KNOW WHY HE HIRED THIS MAN. HE IS ONE OF YOU. LOOK AT THE ACTING COMMISSIONER OF POLICE.WHY NOT MAKE THE MAN COMMISSIONER OF POLICE. I THINK THAT HE IS DOING A GOOD JOB. RIGHT NOW THE X GOVERNOR HAVE THE POWER TO DESTROYED THIS DLP PARTY.

12. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba February 25, 2017 at 10:51 pm

WORRELL U SHOULD BE FRIENDS OFF ALL, AN SATTELLITES OF NONE, SURLY U WOULDN’T BE IN THIS MESS……..YA DESERVE WHAT YA GET

• harry turnover February 26, 2017 at 5:44 am

Mess ?? man this looks like a plan between ALL ah DEM to gi de short huff money and I mean NUFF money and I will bet house and land,car ,a yard fowl and a paling cock that he en gine say a word in English.

13. Peter February 26, 2017 at 8:36 am

Will some one please enlighten me and perhaps other Barbadians as to the reason(s) why Arthur fired Winston Cox? How does that reason compares to Dr. Delisle Worrell? Was Cox printing money? Was he a DLP plant? was he a victim of character assassination ? like (Sir) Harold Hoyte that “negrocrat and Ms. Irene Sandiford Garner who wrote very factual and burning political columns in the Nation back then? Carson C Cadogan, please enlighten me. I maintain that the best Governer the Central bank ever had was (Dame) Dr. Marion Williams and Sir Courtney Blackman.