JAMAICA: Almost 40 killed in road accidents since January

Statistics from the Road Safety Unit in the Ministry of Transport show that 38 people have been killed on Jamaica’s roads since the start of this year.

The statistics show that fatal crashes have decreased by 23 per cent when compared with the same period in 2016.

The Road Safety Unit says a total of 12 motorcyclists have been killed since the start of the year compared with 26 for the same period last year.

The unit says it is pleased with the decrease in fatalities but is encouraging motorcyclists and pillion passengers to wear appropriate helmets.

Meanwhile, pedestrians account for 29 per cent of the road users killed since the start of the year.

Clarendon, Westmoreland and St Catherine account for 45 per cent of the overall fatalities.

8 Responses to JAMAICA: Almost 40 killed in road accidents since January

1. Jennifer February 19, 2017 at 10:03 am

jrsmith – where are you???? We need a comment please.

2. Watchman February 19, 2017 at 10:28 am

Jennifer, let me try an impression until you can get details real id 10 t.

Is de politicians !
    Democrats won’t fix design roads, we need details police to do demand job and de insurance companies. Dem need speed cameras. Up here in England, we doesn’t get any accidents or fatalities on DE roads, you can let babies play in de traffic on DE A 1 and butter won’t happen to dem. De government want firing.

3. Watchman February 19, 2017 at 10:33 am

Apologies family, autocorrect savage today !
    Jennifer, let me try an impression until you can get de real id 10 t.

Is de politicians !
    Dem won’t fix de roads, we need de police to do dem job and de insurance companies. Dem need speed cameras. Up here in England, we doesn’t get any accidents or fatalities on de roads, you can let babies play in de traffic on de A 1 and nutten won’t happen to dem. De government want firing.

4. Jennifer February 19, 2017 at 10:36 am

@Watchman – I have to agree with you on this. I too have much experience with living in the UK and other EU areas, so I am aware. Thank you. There is statement JRSmith said a couple of days ago, that I want him to come in on.

5. jrsmith February 19, 2017 at 12:00 pm

@, Jennifer, hail, hail, you must remind me of the statement I made…. I was noticing through out the region there is similar types of accidents and fatalities in the various islands.. .. I cant comment on the road managing schemes or the behaviour of motorist in Jamaica .
    I will always make my comments as to the fact blame our politicians for the infrastructure mess we have in barbados which include the roads…..

I am always being accuse of making statements about (UK) and barbados or comparing barbados to the (UK) (that i have never done). I will continually say this, we can learn a lot from the (UK) as they deploy the various technologies ,which in every way would benefit most parts of society in Barbados….

6. Jennifer February 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm

@jrsmith – I do like the majority of your comments and some other people’s too. However, this article is broad and is not saying whether the accidents were concentrated in the same areas. As we know Jamaica is much bigger that Barbados. You mentioned in a recent comment “that in other areas that governments were doing road strategies for their people”. I asked you where exactly but you did not reply. Point being – All of these islands whether it be Jamaica, St.Lucia etc. you will find the same issues plaguing weather it be the roads, transport, health, politics, money management, etc. As you correctly said we have to blame the politicians.
    You might as well compare Barbados to the UK as we are little England in every way. Many just have convenient eyes.

7. Sherry Kirton
    Sherry Kirton February 19, 2017 at 3:00 pm

We are almost there

8. jrsmith February 20, 2017 at 11:04 am

@, Jennifer , hail, hail, hail, salute to you.. my friends from states side call me and always have discussions daily, they said to me Jamaica was considering new road technology , also one other island who was upgrading part of they road infrastructure……..
    I,ll take my bashing over the head , but things can be 100% better in barbados , because we are starting from a much higher level than lots of the world…..