Constituents give Blackett failing grade

The Barbados Labour Party (BLP) caretaker for St Michael central, Arthur Holder, has accused Minister of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment and Community Development, Steve Blackett of being an absentee representative.

Addressing journalists outside the derelict home of a family of four in Waterhall Land, Eagle Hall, St Michael, Holder described the state of the constituency as “woeful”.

Holder, who toured the constituency on Saturday, said many of the constituents revealed that they had not seen the parliamentary representative for several years.

“We have had an absentee representative for the past nine years. It is amazing that when you knock at people’s houses, they say we haven’t seen the person who is supposed to represent us in parliament for the past nine years,” Holder said.

“They truly want someone to represent their interests.”

Citing issues of unemployment and social services as primary concerns, Holder noted that residents in Quarry Road were complaining of poor street lighting.

He said they have also indicated that the Human Resource Centre at Station Hill is now a grazing field for horses.

“The issue of jobs is foremost in people’s minds. It is reflective of the poor inadequate policies that cannot be and will never be addressed by the Democratic Labour Party,” Holder noted.

“There is a need, obviously, to address our young people. The young out here are crying out for work, people in this country and obviously St Michael central they don’t want to live off welfare,” he added. (KK)

40 Responses to Constituents give Blackett failing grade

1. Vernon Harris
    Vernon Harris February 19, 2017 at 7:58 pm

The Minister of New Vehicles

2. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed February 19, 2017 at 8:08 pm

i actually forgot that he is a MP

3. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes February 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm

As small as Barbados is, these representatives should be seen un the communities more often.

4. Tony Webster February 19, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Drums beating! When I was in very short pants, in Grenada c.1950, I would often hear drumming, and chanting, from way up the hills…through the the night and into the wee hours. Made me fraid enuff to wee myself. My fears confessed to my dad, he said ” Not to worry, it’s just a wake for someone passed.”
    I guess it’s now come full circle…time for someone…to wake up?
    Ask not for whom do the drums beat…

5. Adrian Reid
    Adrian Reid February 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Mr.Holder you defended one of the most feared criminals in your constituency, Leroy snaggs you should have not touched his case with s ten foot pole ,that man does frightened big people when he out of prison far less little children ,Steve was around bush hall for years so I guess he would have to deal with his fall out and so do you Mr.Holder…

• Larry Moore
      Larry Moore February 20, 2017 at 7:54 am

Crazy to say he shouldn’t have represented the man its his profession and proven innocent until proven guilty just a thought stop being so blinded

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 11:03 am

Larry do you know who Leroy snaggs is? You better inquire about this devil…

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 11:04 am

Leroy was the cause of the prison riots, you know why?

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith February 20, 2017 at 11:26 am

I read that case and never once did he ask for him to walk free,he said he needed help and it is no lie ,i remember Snaggs cutting up a young girl who had him and she still turn round and breed for him ,my family got out that neigbourhood fast cause we did not like living so close to her so i follow that case and think the lawyer was telling the court that snaggs needs help ,put him in jail but give him help

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 11:28 am

That man had more than 18 convictions before is 18 th birthday, he knows jail like the back of his hands…

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Kim I live in water ford for years so I know every body there.

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith February 20, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Not answering my question

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith February 20, 2017 at 2:06 pm

not only them getting a new house them mother house get repair and she got bath and toilet put on during the last election with your friend dad being the chairman of the community council for st.Michael Central a organization that is not to be political but still yet all the ppl is on Steve branch ,ask he cause as chairman he sign the should know that them money fix the money house , you think that fair.

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 2:50 pm

So I have anything to do with it? Because my friend dad did or did not do it I have anything to do with it?

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith February 20, 2017 at 3:27 pm

i never siad you where involved but wanted you to understand that from what i read in the case ,the lawyer was still trying to protect society from snaggs and snaggs from himself so that is not an excuse for any one,to not vote for him, i know you are a Dem but please understand that like any of snaggs victim i feel that i did nothing to the person who took me rape me and take with them part of me that can take a long time to replace or will never be able to replace cause everyday this Goverment has unprotect sex with me with out my consent.

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Who is a D.E.M?

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith February 20, 2017 at 7:42 pm

You

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid February 20, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Stupse

6. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd February 19, 2017 at 9:15 pm

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS,!!!!!

7. Peter February 19, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Tony Web ma boy dem sounds yuh nuses to hear was comin from La Qua and Othways It nuses to echo from all down market hill round the Carenage, all coming from up cemetery Hill longside Queens Park Road. The Grenadian lady wid de Trini accent shud know too She from up in Tyrel Street.

8. Danika February 19, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Is this not the same Arthur Holder that the magistrate chastised for not appearing in court to represent his clients who had to ask for subsequent continuance of the cases …. jus saying will he represent his constituents in the same manner. When these people want your votes they say many things and make false promises. I have not seen this man in five years except yesterday as he got in a very expensive looking vehicle parked by Howard supermarket. He passed me like speeding bullet and now want my vote. I dont think so ….

9. John Wick
    John Wick February 19, 2017 at 9:41 pm

He has a nice audi.. So does he help his people out?

10. Jennifer February 19, 2017 at 10:00 pm

You know what really, really pi$$e$ me off is that these rubbing shoulder politicians is walking around looking at people problems when they are not in any position to help. When they get into power they too will become absentee politicians doing nothing for the people either. We as a people need to start a public committee to call these politicians into account for their nonsense. And the thing is they always talk to the same docile, blind people who have no understanding of their foolishness. I am waiting to see some of you rubbing shoulder and rum shop lot, you will be sorry when I am finish. In fact my dogs can be loosed. It is like a hamster on a wheel just going round and round.

11. BaJan boy February 19, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Adrian Reid your statement is a very senseless one. Mr. Holder is an Attorney and is there for anyone who wants his service. That is how he eats and pays his bills. He is even one of those attorneys who do not sit in the court and see helpless bajans who cannot afford an attorney become victims of this horrible system that has been left to deteriorate under this horrible government. You cannot should not and must confuse his profession with him offering himself to be a servant of the people.

12. Zeus February 19, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Bajan boy…. Mr Reid had every right just like you to form an opinion… Who the hell is you to judge him…. If he chooses not to vote for Mr Arthur because of the opinion he stated that is his RIGHT just like you that have one

13. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman February 19, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Exam marks for the class would be grade F+

14. Lennox hewitt February 19, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Mr Reid Mr Holderis a lawyer so he has the rights to work for anyone he choose 2 weather he criminal or not inocent till proven guilty thats it now Mr Reid if yur son or daughter were a lawyer u would stop them for working for me if i were a criminal and doing my case it would cost ms over $50.000 u wil stop them ?

15. Tony Webster February 20, 2017 at 3:09 am

@Peter: we must haf’ coffee sometime, an’ ole talk Grenada days. Bring conch-soup; oil-down; Trinny-Grenadian lady. And her sister.

• Peter February 20, 2017 at 8:58 am

Sure Webby. Your friend Phil was trying to persuade me to buy some land there. He still does. He actually bought a good piece from a Mr. George Williams of WesterHall Estates. I usually stay at the Ramada Inn o Grand Anse but I love dining at the Potters in the True Blue peninsula east of the Lance aux Epines area. The Hopkins brothers usuallu hang out with me either at their place or a little bar run by the Davids next to Godfrey Ventour’s No Problem Hotel Phil traveled there very often He knows half of Grenada. The other half knows him. He is connected to the Free Masons among other big hitters. I will try to meet with you . Either send me an e/mail address or a phone number. Listening out…… Peter

16. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 20, 2017 at 3:43 am

Failing POTHOLE!

17. freeagent February 20, 2017 at 7:15 am

Do Barbadians really know the real role of a politician? His/her role is not to give you everything that you need or to visit your community every week. Yes, it would be nice to see them once in a while, but they appoint representatives to oversee the constituents’ genuine needs such as debushing, road repair etc.
    A politician obtains an annual salary that he/she can use as they see fit. We see non politicians driving Audi and Mercedes cars

18. Hewers of wood February 20, 2017 at 7:48 am

Then they should not enter into districts either when they want votes. People should be wise and not allow themselves to be used. When you vote, base your x on their performance not likability and shyte.

19. Pat BB
    Pat BB February 20, 2017 at 8:19 am

The rest getting failing grades too, not only Blackest….
    I don’t even remember them, only ones I does remember is Fraudel and Stinkliar

20. seagul February 20, 2017 at 3:02 pm

All this rumshop analysis and hot air debate remains just what it is….Activate instead of running a gold fish mouth.

21. jrsmith February 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Things haven’t change then the same rum ,corned beef and biscuits brigade behaviour..
    A little island barbados with this top heavy non productive political infrastructure..and still its all failing…
    All bajan voters do is to secure these politicians jobs for the 4 plus year term, knowingly there is nothing in the party’s constitution to have them remove if they fail to perform ….
    This is what we need in barbados politics so constituencies will have the right to have a vote of no confidence in they MP him/her and have them remove from office………………………

22. Jennifer February 20, 2017 at 3:37 pm

@seagul – There is nothing to activate. You are stuck between the DEVIL and the ABYSS. AND THEIR MASTERS.

23. Zeus February 20, 2017 at 6:06 pm

What amazes me is that after a couple years of reading comments we have some commentators that are in Forbes magazine or belong there that are bajans …they know how how to make money or run business but rather than step forward and help run this country they rather criticize the folks that doing it …..an alternative opinion

24. antionette sealy February 20, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Just Saw Holder on CBC 7o’clock news. Unimpressive to say the least. Cud dear Mia, look for somebody else. Grenville Phillipsl, this is one of the constituencies which Solutions Barbados can canvass. Holder is not an alternative to the current representative.

25. Ryan R A Charles
    Ryan R A Charles February 20, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I don’t get it nor do I care. The People are losing hope in the DLP. BUT wanna backwards Bajans put them in A 2ND TIME. Take it light wanna gine put them in again cause wanna ignorant that way. Dem run we into the ground. And wanna gine send we to hell in a hand basket when wanna do it a third term.
    Cause wanna can’t think

26. Helicopter(8P) February 21, 2017 at 12:31 pm

That area of representation is a vital area in any party’s agenda lapsing and lackadaisical representation has no part in this critical demographic zone. If recorded reporting of the representative’s attitude is in historical truth then he has a true and definite problem existing.