Inniss wants Barbados to be eye care centre of excellence

Minister of Commerce and Industry, Donville Inniss has challenged the island’s ophthalmologists to establish Barbados as the Caribbean centre of excellence for eye care.

Addressing the annual conference of the Ophthalmologists Association at the Accra Beach Hotel yesterday, Inniss noted that Barbados has one of the highest number of ophthalmologists per 1000 in the western world, and he encouraged them to take the necessary measures to promote their services abroad, as it will also contribute to the development of the island’s health tourism product.

According to him the political will must first exist for this goal to be achieved.  He added that there must also be a public/private partnership for the development and growth of ophthalmology services here, with greater use being made of facilities at the state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) by allowing private investors and investment in the plant and equipment at the facility.

“Why should the state continuously struggle with trying to find money to make such investments when private enterprise can do such?” he asked.

Donville Inniss

Inniss also called for facilities at the QEH to be opened up to healthcare providers other than those currently employed there.

“One of the worst things we can continue to do in this region is to have physicians control our healthcare institutions. Often times we develop a culture that can be akin to that of the mafia, whereby turfs are established and controlled by an old boys network that then deprives the institutions of the best skills and technology, as well as denying others an opportunity to hone their skills and earn a decent living along the way.

“Why can’t an ophthalmology suite at the QEH be available for all ophthalmologists to utilise rather than each one of you having to make investments in your own plant and equipment?”

The Minister encouraged the University of the West Indies to set its sights on becoming the premiere teaching and research centre for ophthalmology care in the region.

“I am deeply concerned over the continuing focus on producing a large number of MBBS graduates with not enough focus on postgraduate training and building centres of excellence in a few areas.  We cannot do everything for everyone so let us pick a few areas and become experts in them,” he stated.

Inniss also pointed to the issue of financing of the healthcare system, stating that a new model is needed.  The Ministry of Health is currently developing new concepts which are expected to be more patient-focussed, technologically driven and cost effective.

“We must not quiver in our boots when we have to make significant decisions. There will always be detractors but we must stay focussed on the goals. Had I bowed to the attacks and condemnations in 2010 when I set about to reform the Barbados Drug Service which was then costing taxpayers $53 million per year and growing at a rate of ten per cent per annum, we would not have gotten our expenditure in the BDS down to the $21 million per annum that it is today.” Inniss said.

21 Responses to Inniss wants Barbados to be eye care centre of excellence

1. Hal Austin February 18, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Barbados Today doing more PR for Donville ‘Buffoon’ Inniss.

2. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 18, 2017 at 5:47 pm

What a pothole! More like centre of excellence in Long Talk!

3. Alwin Ellis
    Alwin Ellis February 18, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Inniss mouth does be so damn glad when he is asleep.No results you does see from anything that he does talk on.One man talk shop

4. Alex Alleyne February 18, 2017 at 8:52 pm

He must keep talking , he is the NEXT DPL leader , so one one can point back and say he like his old boss , won’t say a word.

5. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba February 18, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I HOPE THE ELECTORATE HAVE EXCELLENT EYES TO GET RID OF WANNA VOTING TIME.

6. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn February 18, 2017 at 9:31 pm

How only one minister talk about the governor and that is Dennis kellman.It is better to be lucky than to be rich. Dennis kellman and the prime minister both of them born lucky. now the prime minister should step in and settle this tug of war between the governor and the finance Minister.

7. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn February 18, 2017 at 9:32 pm

We the public will like to know why the finance Minister want to get rid of the governor,and who give permission to print money.

8. Jennifer February 18, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Are we going towards paying for eye services???? The Ophthalmology dept is too small to accommodate so much graduates. Sounds like part privatization of this area. In a nutshell nothing much being said here.

9. lswiltshire February 18, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I CAME HOME IN 2012 AND HAD NIGEL BARKER DO CATARACTS IN BOTH MY EYES IN BELLEVILE

SINCE THEN I DO NOT HAVE TO WEAR GLASSES-AFTER DOING SO FOR 50 YEARS

10. Mack February 18, 2017 at 10:02 pm

This guy Innis is good at talking, but not doing. Talking about things are not going to do anything to improve Barbados econamy. Please start doing and stop all the foolish talk. PLEASE!!!!

• Sunshine Sunny Shine February 19, 2017 at 4:37 am

Are you a kubba? What Donville Inniss does is not talking. When one talks the hearer is expected to understand and make sense out what is being said. When Donville talks, well just read all the comments and you would understand.

11. Hewers of wood February 18, 2017 at 10:21 pm

SOME MAY BE ABLE TO PAY, BUT MOST WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY. Sadly

12. hcalndre February 19, 2017 at 1:05 am

The Don say that he is responsible for bringing the drug service from $53m to $21m per year, I`m not sure if he meant the cost of the drugs or what else but what I can say is that`s the reason why people can`t get their medication as before is that he is spending 32m less, simple arithmetic and the people`s livies are in danger, especially the diabetics.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine February 19, 2017 at 4:40 am

A great achievement for this man I gather. Notice that he is not concern about the impact of those who can no longer get the drugs to keep certain chronic illnesses in check. And he is aspiring to be the next DLP leader. I say keep Freundel, at least with him you know where his loyalties lie.

13. James Austin Bynoe
    James Austin Bynoe February 19, 2017 at 1:05 am

“Here we go Again” …. always with a ton of great sounding ideas, but cants execute or bring a single one to reality … SMH

14. Peter February 19, 2017 at 12:27 pm

My real name is I-don Eye -ness. I and I will bee wunna nex prime ministuh. I callin fuh mo I care althouge I really doan care. I gine get a rass ta wig an walk bout lookin real dread. I even gine sell some nuts all kinds from coconuts to raw and baked nuts. Oh crap I soun kile I goin nuts…. I gone….

15. Peter February 19, 2017 at 12:29 pm

come on, I spell ‘like’ wrong.. I mus be backward. I mean I like I goin nuts…..

16. Suezette Boyce-Griffith
    Suezette Boyce-Griffith February 19, 2017 at 1:10 pm

The govener eyes too big for he headand sinler could see a money crook so he use he the gov to full up he pocket more but he bite more than he could tue and got caught

17. jus me February 20, 2017 at 11:12 pm

It is said!!
    THE EYES ARE THE MIRROR OF THE SOUL.

There fore I posed myself a question.

WOULD I BUY A USED CAR FROM THIS MAN??

LOL

He also disproves the adage,> there are no free lunches in life>
    He at one , en Trapflappin.

18. jus me February 20, 2017 at 11:47 pm

I en River road pon de path a deposit and a whole set a BIG Flies ,buzzin all bout de place.

HMMn,, Mus be anudder center of Excellence!!

19. jus me February 20, 2017 at 11:50 pm

@Hewer of Wood.
    Some will be able to pay SADLY, while others will NOT be able to pay, sadly or not.
    LOL