Police name school girl killed in road accident

Police have identified the 12-year-old female student who was killed in a road accident at Boarded Hall Main Road, St George this evening.

She is Destiny Martina Thompson, of Vine Yard, St Philip, a pupil of the Springer Memorial Secondary School.

According to preliminary investigations conducted by police, Thompson disembarked from a minibus and was attempting to cross the road behind the bus when she was struck by a motorcar being driven by Alicia Mayers, 26, of Wildey St Michael.

Thompson received injuries to her head and died on the spot.

Police say this is the second road fatality for the year involving a pedestrian being killed in similar circumstances.

They have urged people using public transportation to always ensure that the road is clear before attempting to cross the road.

Police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact the District ‘B’ Police station at telephone 437 4311 or 430 7625.

15 Responses to Police name school girl killed in road accident

1. Mel Mel
    Mel Mel February 15, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Oh man so heartbreaking

2. Trecia Waithe
    Trecia Waithe February 15, 2017 at 11:41 pm

so sad

3. Grantley King
    Grantley King February 15, 2017 at 11:45 pm

My prayers goes out to the family and to the person that hit the young lady ,

4. Sharon Ward
    Sharon Ward February 15, 2017 at 11:53 pm

R.I.P baby girl.. My heart breaks for her parents!

5. Sarifa Patel February 16, 2017 at 12:03 am

Sad for the family but barbadians have the bad habit of crossing roads at the back of buses. As a result cannot often times see cars coming from the opposite direction. We were taught growing up always walk the road towards coming vehicles and never try crossing a road from the back of vehicles.
    As a driver on our roads today we have to drive for ourselves and other reckless drivers on the road and be alert and watch out for pedestrians.
    We need to make our roads safer for each other and avoid another family facing these heartaches at the lost of loved ones.

• Kimberly February 16, 2017 at 8:48 am

My condolences goes out to the family. In lthe future let’s remind all of our children walking on the road to never crossed behind buses /vehicles because the oncoming traffic cannot see them, so we may avoid any further vehicle accident involving our nations children

6. Sweetsyrupy Bartlett
    Sweetsyrupy Bartlett February 16, 2017 at 12:04 am

May you R.I.P and Rise In Glory Glory Sad my Condolences to the family and friends

7. Marilyn Cook
    Marilyn Cook February 16, 2017 at 12:26 am

R. I. P. Destiny. I pray for comfort for the driver . It can’t be easy being involved in a fatal accident.

8. Jennifer February 16, 2017 at 5:13 am

That road has a lot of houses. IT NEEDS A zebra CROSSING.

9. Sabrina February 16, 2017 at 8:54 am

People how many school girls died yesterday because on story saying 12 year old girl died on the spot in lower greys Christ church.

10. Joy February 16, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Sabrina, Boarded Hall and Lower Greys are in the close proximity.

11. blessed1 February 16, 2017 at 6:16 pm

my condolences to the family of Destiny. to the driver also

12. Judy February 17, 2017 at 9:31 am

My condolences goes out to the family. Parents we need to remind our children they should NEVER cross the road from behind or in front of a bus. I am a witness of one of the same incidents when I was a child going to school and as an adult I can still remember getting off the bus with my friend who did the same thing, fortunate for her it was not her time to die.

13. Deshawna Hoyte February 18, 2017 at 10:00 am

Springer school still loves you destiny R.I.P love you destiny

14. Deshawna Hoyte February 18, 2017 at 10:01 am

Springer school loves you destiny