Tribute to iconic Barbadian artist

This article was first published on January 20, 2015

“Never paint for the love of money, do it for the love of it.”

This advice was given to up-and-coming artists by renowned visual artist Fielding Babb at his retirement function last evening at the Pelican Village.

“Eventually if you do good work, money will come. So put money behind your back, although all of us need money. Look at the creativity that comes out for the love of the arts,” he said to family, friends and specially invited guests gathered for the function.

Babb, who would no longer publicly display his work in show galleries, said he thought the time was right to leave the profession he was a part of for 57 years.

“I do feel that we should never go out by force. We should always go out gracefully, giving room for artists, not only the visual arts, but all fields. Always take a bow and say ‘I should go now’. You more than likely won’t see me on the streets painting again and I hope that the young artists here follow what I did in the past and help the young ones who are looking for a career in the fine arts,” Babb said.

In an emotional speech, the veteran thanked everyone who assisted him over the years.

“They are so many people that I have to say thanks to, thanks for all their help and encouragement through the years,” he said.

Babb made special mention of his wife of more than 50 years stating, “She has a good heart. Some days I go in tired and she is there waiting. If I go to bed at two she goes in at two, she refuses to go to bed without me.”

Meantime, President of the Barbados Arts Council Amahd Badoo agrees that Babb’s journey was a successful one.

Art galleries, he said, would definitely miss his presence.

“Fielding has a holistic memory. He looks at success as a journey. If you take a look around in here you would see the great work he did. Fielding has been painting longer than I have been alive. Many people have passed through here and left. It’s an honor for me to stand here today and witness a retirement function for Fielding in a place where he started,” Badoo said. “He has really changed my view of retirement. You don’t retire as an artist. It’s the only profession you stay employed in until you die. But what Fielding is retiring from is the public showing of his work in gallery spaces.”

12 Responses to Tribute to iconic Barbadian artist

1. Pearl Carrington
    Pearl Carrington February 12, 2017 at 2:24 pm

An expert at transforming raw material into a masterpiece. Brother Babb was real in in body, mind and soul and not merely a figment of one’s imagination. Thank you for sharing your life, love laughter and creativity with more than just a few….RIP with nuff, nuff respect….Miss P

2. Alex Alleyne February 12, 2017 at 3:57 pm

One of the “best” from the CARICOM. Gone but not forgotten.

• Sheri Callender February 12, 2017 at 7:11 pm

RIP, My dearest cousin and friend, Fielding! I am saddened by this news, but I am happy for knowing you, and all you taught me about beautiful Barbados. You are one of the best artsts, tops in my books, you painted with love. You made your works come to life, as they were from the heart! Rest in Paradise. You wil never be fogotten, and remembered with love and adoration!

Cousin Sheri (Ms. Lady)

• greg Norville February 12, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I knew fielding, when we worked @ the Bridgetown Port, we
      conversed often: as an artist he possessed wonder spiritual
      qualities & i saw him as a beautifull soul .I send my condolence
      to his family.

3. Jasper Brome
    Jasper Brome February 12, 2017 at 4:11 pm

A special to the Babb family and wishing our deepest sympathy for the lost of a dear brother rest in peace from Jasper and Elaine Brome.

4. Sheri Callender February 12, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Cousin Sheri (Ms. Lady)

5. greg Norville February 12, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I new Fielding not only as an artist,when i worked @ the bridgetown port,as a traniee pilot we conversed I having the gift
    myself, i always appreciated the gentleness of his spirit ,a true artist
    is intuitive & is able to discern most things, artist observe he is a wonder soul ,& i hope his spiritual surroundings are beautifull.

6. Danita Callender February 12, 2017 at 9:51 pm

God bless Fielding Babb. May God graciously receive him into His kingdom. Let his spirit be welcomed by dearly departed loved ones. I will remember him as a great man of the world and as a cherished long distance relative.
    Peace and blessings!

7. Marc Menard February 13, 2017 at 7:37 am

Joked around with him last Wednesday about whether we would be around in five years time regarding a project; and lo, and behold he slips away without warning us. Colour and beautiful texture were wherever you walked, Fielding.

Artists don’t die. they just draw away from us. RIP – Marc Menard.

8. sam clarke February 13, 2017 at 8:02 am

Rest in Peace Fielding. ONE OF THE GREATES TO COME OUT OF THIS REGION.

9. Noel Sammy Maughn February 13, 2017 at 9:47 am

Known him from elementary school days. Always a gentleman and a great artists

10. F.A.Rudder February 13, 2017 at 11:48 am

May you rest in eternal peace Mr Babb. Remembered by all who’ve met you and those who’ve viewed your talent!