Prominent Barbadian artist Fielding Babb passes

Prominent Barbadian artist Fielding Babb is dead.

Babb, who was born in 1935, died on Saturday.

He was known for his work using oils built up in layers with a palette knife to create a three dimensional effect. The subject of his paintings is usually historical Barbadian buildings or traditional scenes such as Barbadians pushing fruit carts.

In 2003 Babb was the recipient of the Lifetime Award in the Visual Arts and the Barbados Centennial Honour.

18 Responses to Prominent Barbadian artist Fielding Babb passes

1. Alex Alleyne February 12, 2017 at 11:20 am

Gone but not forgotten. I do hope that he will get a bigger write up for his works.

2. Juliet Barnes
    Juliet Barnes February 12, 2017 at 11:27 am

R.I.P.

3. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor February 12, 2017 at 11:47 am

Sympathy to all of his family

4. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince February 12, 2017 at 12:09 pm

RIP…

5. Bonnie Smith February 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Very sad to hear that.He was so talented and full of life. He will be missed by his family and the many people he influenced and inspired.

6. Earl Maynard February 12, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Saddened by the passing of Fielding Babb. Have always enjoyed his work and the quality time spent with him. Rest in Peace.

7. Monsignor Vincent Blackett February 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Barbados has lost one of its pioneers in the field of art. I have always enjoyed chatting with Fielding. I do hope Barbados will do something to keep his memory alive for he has truly written his name on history’s page. May he rest in peace and to his family I offer my prayers.

8. Irene Banfield February 12, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Fielding was a walking encyclopedia. He taught me much whenever we encountered each other. He will be missed. Condolences to his family, his artistic family and well-wishers.

9. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva February 12, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Fielding Babb was a great teacher. Very nice man. RIP

10. John Bowen February 12, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Very sad to hear of his passing. He paved the way for many Bajan artists and influenced them in style and subject matter as well as showing that what we had was worthwhile preserving in art.

11. Greengiant February 12, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Pleasant and wonderful man. What a joy to have known him, the wisdom imparted during the time conversing with this brother is irreplaceable. RIP brother Babb, my deepest sympathy to his wife and family.

12. Sheri Callender February 12, 2017 at 6:27 pm

R.I.P. Dear Fielding, my cousin, my friend. You taught me a lot about the home of my ancestos, you made my visits to zBarbados extra special for sure! My heart is saddened to hear this news. You will be sorely missed, and never fogotten. You deserve the best of Barbados, as you lived and loved Barbados, and it’s rich history, so very much! Rest in Paradise!
    Love, Sheri (Ms. Lady)

13. Sheri Callender February 12, 2017 at 7:33 pm

May God’s love, peace, Angels surround you and carry you safe on your journey. Rest in Paradise, my dearest Feilding! In Jesus’ Name. You will never be forgotten.

Cousin Sheri

14. amor mottley February 12, 2017 at 7:56 pm

A wonderful ,talented and very pleasant gentleman! I will cherish the memories of my time spent with him! Our condolences to his wife and family……you are in our thoughts and prayers. Hugging all of you!
    amor,elliott mottley and family

15. freeagent February 13, 2017 at 7:04 am

Condolences to Mr. Babb’s relatives and friends.

16. Denzil Mann February 18, 2017 at 1:46 am

I am inspired by Fielding and his valuable contribution to us. The sad occasion of his death prompts us to not only reminisce but also to become more conscious of the need to celebrate those still among us. May God bless his family and may his work continue to inspire.

17. ANTHONY V BEST February 18, 2017 at 3:40 am

Fielding will be missed by young and aspiring artists as well as season artists.His vivid colors captured the vibrance and cultural
    of Barbarian life.He was a mentor to many aspiring artists and myself. Fielding will enjoy painting for eternity after the promise
    at Rev; 21:34