Guilty plea

MAN ADMITS TO INDECENTLY ASSAULTING 7-YEAR-OLD GIRL

A Vincentian-born man has admitted to indecently assaulting a seven-year-old girl back in 2015.

Joseph Augustin Cummings appeared before Madam Justice Michelle Weekes this morning in the No. 2 Supreme Court where he pleaded guilty to carrying out the September 1, 2015 crime when he was 46 years old.

The court heard from Crown Counsel Oliver Thomas that the minor was dropped off by her parents at the grandmother’s home where she was to spend the day. Later in the afternoon, the grandmother allowed the little girl to go outside to play.

The court heard that Cummings lifted the child, who went into the laundry room, through a window into his adjoining apartment and took her into his bedroom.

The facts by the prosecutor also revealed that he undressed the child and proceeded to kiss her in a rough manner, biting her tongue in the process. He also kissed other parts of the child’s body for what she said felt “like a long period”.

“This was also done roughly, which caused some discomfort and pain to the virtual complainant, but she did not cry or tell him to stop,” Thomas told the court.

Cummings then proceeded to perform oral and other sexual acts on the minor.

It was sometime during the act that the grandmother called out to the little girl and she left, fully clothed, and went back through the same window that Cummings had pulled her through.

When the minor reached her grandmother who was in bed at the time, she was questioned and she revealed what had taken place.

Thomas said the child told the grandmother it was not the first time that Cummings had done such a thing, but she did not say anything before because she was scared.

The matter was reported to the police and Cummings was taken into custody.

While being interviewed by investigators about the matter, the man allegedly said: “Let me tell you the truth, that happened by accident. That whole week I did seeing a funny vision in my sleep and I was just playing wid she and it get out of hand.”

Cummings continued: “. . . It was something like magic that come over me, cause me and them by the house where I live and where this happened . . . does live good and I like a part of the family.”

Cummings told police that the child was in the habit of coming by, playing and making jokes.

“That day she was playing with my head . . . She play with my beard and then she . . . throw she hands round me and start to kiss me on my face,” he said in his statement which gave a detailed account of what had occurred.

Thomas told the court that Cummings was taken back to the house and he pointed out the area where the incident occurred, and said, “the little girl was sitting right here and this is where we made love.”

After the facts were revealed, the judged ordered a pre-sentencing report on Cummings and a report on his time spent on remand at HMP Dodds.

He returns to court on April 5.

29 Responses to Guilty plea

1. Sheldon Cox
    Sheldon Cox February 9, 2017 at 6:54 am

He should be hung from the balls

2. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean February 9, 2017 at 6:58 am

Got damn..this man has messed up that child for life. This is madness. When he has finished being punish he should be sent back to St Vincent. He’s not going to change.

3. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner February 9, 2017 at 7:23 am

Vigilante justice is de only real form of justice for these pedophiles because Barbados so call slow snail pace justice system nothing but a friggin joke.

4. Ria Cassandra
    Ria Cassandra February 9, 2017 at 7:25 am

I was saying the same thing! That sentence shows something wrong with his head! Made what love, stupse. Poor child

5. Khati D
    Khati D'Souza February 9, 2017 at 7:28 am

This is how we get a broken society. She young right and she will have to be counselled. As she grows and her body starts to shed hormones, she will realize what happen. No amount of counselling can help her. This is a mental scar for life on this child. Its sad. Then we wonder why the youths do all they do in retaliation.

6. Maria February 9, 2017 at 7:36 am

In this society we have a way of letting are children feeling comfortable around and developing trust in persons who are capable of harming them – he felt like he was part of the family

7. Dionne Jackman
    Dionne Jackman February 9, 2017 at 8:04 am

These kinda men want killing same time.

8. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor February 9, 2017 at 8:10 am
  9. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor February 9, 2017 at 8:12 am

Hang him by the balls until they drop off.

10. Shana Vanderwolf
    Shana Vanderwolf February 9, 2017 at 8:15 am

Disgusting

11. Sherry-ann Mayers
    Sherry-ann Mayers February 9, 2017 at 8:28 am

Another one that want putting down

12. Judy F. Clarke
    Judy F. Clarke February 9, 2017 at 8:35 am

It is really sad when you read these stories and in most cases they only get a slap on the wrist, but that child has been scared for life.

13. Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock
    Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock February 9, 2017 at 8:36 am

And he still breathing…..
    I wouldda kill he Eva since!!!

• Kay Critchlow
      Kay Critchlow February 9, 2017 at 10:29 am

If he touched one of my girls I’d go for a knife and chop it off and his fingers .

• Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock
      Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock February 9, 2017 at 10:31 am

I don’t understand how u catch a person before d cops get there n doh kill him!

• Kay Critchlow
      Kay Critchlow February 9, 2017 at 10:34 am

Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock I don’t either my rage would give me the strength

• Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock
      Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock February 9, 2017 at 10:37 am

I have a boy n a girl…..I always questioned n watch my kids.
      I even went into d school yard twice for little bullies…..I warned them n that was d end of that!
      I don’t like big grown men doing nasty crap to Lil kids!

14. Maria February 9, 2017 at 8:48 am

Please let me further clarify. There is no excuse for what was done to this seven year old girl-it is criminal and there will be due justice even though we know it will be delayed.

Are we as parents and guardians taking the time to explain to our children what is appropriate touching and what is not. Do we go through scenarios with our children – what if – in a particular situation what would you do – are we guiding them to the correct course of action. Are we explaining to our children that the many persons we allow them to call auntie and uncle are not blood relatives. We even have to be weary of some of the blood relatives. At least we wold be forewarning our children and helping them to protect themselves in these kinds of situations.

15. Cherry Matunda Heri
    Cherry Matunda Heri February 9, 2017 at 8:58 am

I could not read the entire article. He is a sick very individual. My first thought is to put him on H and let everyone know what he do. Lights out.

I know many more like him is out there and it make me want to vomit

16. Abiola Yearwood
    Abiola Yearwood February 9, 2017 at 9:23 am

He made love with a 7 yr old child ? He for f:’$&&@@@ real

17. Elizabeth Beckles
    Elizabeth Beckles February 9, 2017 at 10:10 am

Sheldon Cox, do you think he would be infront the judge if that child was the tiniest relation to me? Hell no. I would be before the judge. He messed with this child mentally because she is never going to forget it. She needs lots of prayers for a very long time. God be with her.

18. Maaz A Love
    Maaz A Love February 9, 2017 at 11:16 am

Very sickenin to read or hear about … this type of behavior been happenin since the slave trade …back then it was legal …still doesn’t make it right (Sickenin)…all of them r sick individuals with families and friends….makes me sick to the stomach thinkin about it … In the usa this filthy beast can’t survive in population among the other inmates …only in protective custody (23hr lock down 1hr recreation) most of the prison guards r disgust by this type of behavior (adopted)…these type of prisoners only gets the bare minimum just to live .. Damn filthy beasts!! May God help us all …

19. Grace Harewood February 9, 2017 at 4:55 pm

That is why we need to teach our children girls and boys, what is inappropriate; and further tell them not to let anyone family or not, touch them. But most of all, we need to get up and act, get out in the streets with placards, bombard the government/lawmakers, call in on the radio programmes, let all Barbados know we are serious about protection for our families. If I said let’s do it tomorrow in town, who would come (yes, I expect to hear about police permission and so on). We have to make it stop!

20. Notimeforcrime February 9, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Hang him

21. P kelly February 10, 2017 at 7:21 am

He had the nerve to say when they made love…..as if she is an adult…sick piece of garbage

22. Caribbean Child Advocate February 10, 2017 at 10:26 am

This man is mentally ill. Is he being assessed??? He needs serious professional institutional help. The poor child needs counselling too. She has to process what has happened her and heal from the trauma – learn to rebuild trust.