Bumpy flight

Mother of disabled son recalls JetBlue ‘horror story’

A JetBlue flight home for a 23-year-old Barbadian mother of two turned into a virtual nightmare, as she was deemed a disruptive passenger and came close to being thrown out of the aircraft over the handling by the flight staff of a situation regarding her disabled son.

Already disappointed that a week-long stay at the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Florida – where she had sought treatment for two-year-old Amari Powell’s cerebral palsy – had turned to naught, Mary-Anne Powell said she encountered an uncooperative and uncouth cabin crew on flight B6385 at Fort Lauderdale International Airport.

Mary-Anne Powell (right) came close to being thrown off of a Jetblue aircraft by flight staff over the handling of a situation regarding her disabled son Amari (left).

Powell got into a verbal tussle with the cabin crew because she was sitting with the disabled boy in her lap, which nearly got her in deep trouble with the airline and law enforcement in the US state.

“I had my bag on the seat because he cannot sit on the seat by himself . . . I know that bags can’t be on the seat when the plane is taking off or landing, but people were still boarding the plane, and I told her [the flight attendant] I paid for the seat and I only left my bag on the seat because people are still boarding the plane and when the plane is taking off I know that the bag has to go under the seat,” Powell told Barbados TODAY as she recalled the incident which took place on January 27, but which she made public Friday.

“When I told her that I paid for the seat she asked me if I want to be escorted off the plane,” a bewildered Powell said.

The exchange led to a 25-minute flight delay, during which a forceful cabin crew shouted at her and insisted the child was not allowed to sit in her lap because the regulations stated anyone aged two or older had to occupy a seat, she claimed.

If she refuses to comply, they told her, she would have to get off the plane.

“He [another flight attendant] told me if I don’t comply, they will be asking me to disembark the plane. I started crying because all the passengers started looking at me and it was looking like I was being disrespectful when I wasn’t. It was them that was making the issue.”

The disgruntled passenger would eventually comply, but that was not the end of her troubles, she told Barbados TODAY.

Having placed the child in the seat next to her, and having fastened his seat belt, the two-year-old “fell forward and then he got frightened”.

“I said he has cerebral palsy and you are being unreasonable . . . when he fell forward, [the flight attendant] told me pick him up and then the black woman [the other flight attendant] goes and tells me to pick him up and stop being ignorant,” an outraged Powell said.

Having witnessed the child’s discomfort, the crew appeared to retreat, and all seemed settled, the mother explained, only for one crew member – who apparently had not been apprised of the boy’s condition – to report Powell as a disruptive passenger, forcing a further ten-minute delay.

“She told the captain they have an unruly passenger and that they have to ask her to disembark the plane . . . . When the flight attendants were coming back and they realized it was me, they then explained to her that the baby has cerebral palsy.

“She came to me saying that she is sorry. I said ‘I don’t want to hear any sorry because what wunna do last, wunna should have done first.’”

Powell said none of this would have happened had the check-in crew advised their colleagues aboard the aircraft of the boy’s disability.

She said she had advised the ground staff of the boy’s condition and had been assured there would be no problems.

“I notified the guy that he was disabled, but apparently he didn’t pass on the information. So that was negligence on their part. It wasn’t my fault,” she explained.

Powell told Barbados TODAY she was considering legal action against the airline, which has since sent her a written apology.

“That is not how you treat a child with disability. A child with disability should have first priority. I don’t mind if you treat me so, but not Amari,” she stressed.

JetBlue Barbados General Manager Terry Layne referred Barbados TODAY to the airline’s Manager of Corporate Communications for Latin America & Caribbean Elizabeth Ninomiya, who in an emailed response Friday evening said:

“JetBlue is committed to providing caring and courteous customer service to our customers with disabilities, and to complying with U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations governing accessibility to individuals with disabilities.

She also acknowledged that a complaint had been made by a customer traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Barbados who reported that her experience failed to meet these standards.

“We are in contact with the customer in order to address her concerns. We are also reviewing the situation internally with the appropriate teams, so that we may ensure that our crewmembers deliver the high-quality service that is consistent with JetBlue’s values and DOT regulations,” the airline’s spokeswoman added.

katrinaking@barbadostoday.bb

88 Responses to Bumpy flight

1. Jason Smith
    Jason Smith February 4, 2017 at 12:55 am

Bonnie Leonce Roseanna Tudor

2. Greg Greaves
    Greg Greaves February 4, 2017 at 2:22 am

Hmmmmmm, before I jump to conclusions from only hearing one side of the story, I wonder how well the mom explained herself to the flight attendants and exactly what the rules of the airline are on children traveling on a persons lap.

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward February 4, 2017 at 3:25 am

Stpz

• Karen Allen
      Karen Allen February 4, 2017 at 8:22 am

Only children under two can sit on a parents lap, but you can bring a car seat for them to sit in and be fastened in properly in their own seat.

• Susan Renee
      Susan Renee February 4, 2017 at 9:09 am

my thoughts exactly.

3. ch February 4, 2017 at 2:43 am

So when flight crew rightfully did their job reminding a passenger of airline regulations and the answer is ” I paid for the seat”, what response would anyone expect?
    The check-in crew was not on board and any sensible person would have explained the child’s condition, upfront, to the flight crew.
    Also, anyone travelling with a child with special needs should have medical documentation stating any special considerations and any and all aids required to comply with air safety.
    Bajans have a habit of thinking they can do as they like because that is the norm here. It is not the norm inside an aircraft.
    Flight crew are responsible for the safety of ALL persons on board and when one person decides to get confrontational, that individual should be put off the air-craft. Immediately.

• Clyde Thompson February 4, 2017 at 10:34 am

Well said, Bajans believe that the world owe them, they have to follow rules like all others….no exceptions

• Von February 6, 2017 at 7:40 pm

One such incident and you paint all bajans with the same brush…………..hmmmmmmm; interesting

• Y BARROW February 4, 2017 at 1:58 pm

You are 1% right, why is she talking about paying for the seat they know that the trip is not free ,she doesn’t know how to talk to people.

4. Sunshine Sunny Shine February 4, 2017 at 3:49 am

Having nothing more to say to them, my dear. Let your mouth do the talking in relating the entire situation, all that those idiot said to you, behaviors, facial expressions, tone of voices, the whole night yards, in the court of retribution and sue. Make sure that you get some good money for the anguish, embarrassment, insults, discrimination, and anything else that affected during your ordeal with these unprofessional idiots. That should be enough to cover expenses for you and your son for a long time to come.

5. Jamal Antoine Archer
    Jamal Antoine Archer February 4, 2017 at 3:57 am

Sad, when ever you are travelling with your son again. You need to call the airlines special assistance line and get it documented on your booking. This will be flagged at check-in and on the manifest for the Cabin Manager onboard. Here’s to hoping both of you never have this experience again. Wish you and your son all the best.

• Y BARROW February 4, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Good advise Jamal, sorry Sunshine

6. Liz Richards
    Liz Richards February 4, 2017 at 3:59 am

Sounds like a lawsuit to me……

7. Stephanie F. Chase
    Stephanie F. Chase February 4, 2017 at 4:06 am

There are many factors which need to be considered but the main ones are as follows: You have a young mother who has a child with a disability; She left her home country with the hope that she would find help for her son; She is agitated because her visit to Joe DiMaggio Children’s was a disappointment and SHE IS ANGRY. When approached by the Airlines personel she lashed. She was wrong to do so. Had she said, “‘ Hi (address the AH by name they wear name tags) my son has cerebral palsy which is why he is sitting in my lap. He is unable to sit in the seat on his own.Would you mind holding him while I remove the bag?” I am sure that her tone of voice and facial expression would have garnered concern. Instead she was aggressive & angry. Jet Blue may issue an apology but she will be red flagged. Who knows what will happen the next time she tries to travel to the USA to find treatment for her son. She may be denied entry. Actions have consequences. If the airline observes behaviour which may be construed as threatening to other passengers they are mandated to act to protect everyone on board. Though I empathize with this mother this is a sad situation which could have been avoided.

• Mary-ann Powell
      Mary-ann Powell February 4, 2017 at 5:57 am

Were you there miss Stephanie chase oh and I don’t need your empathy

• Joyann Codrington
      Joyann Codrington February 4, 2017 at 6:32 am

You should read the information correctly, she did told the right people which were the ones that check her in,and if they were listing to her and look at the child they would have kno he had a problem, plus when the mother did what they ask her to do and the little fellow went forward they should have been a human being and let the boy sit on her lap,the world we live in today is always ready to blame and judge, the Airline was at fault some of them have no manner, dnt like to listen, in my opinion they could have made a simple call down stair and ask a question before they had start doing what they did which was disrespectful should had talk to her in a clam voice from any one else around her hearing the things they were saying and she saying ,it should have been done in a more respectful way.The hospital visit had nothing to do with this incident so i dnt kno why you mention it Stephanie Chase

• Joyann Codrington
      Joyann Codrington February 4, 2017 at 6:38 am

It will be a lawsuit because once the party that check her in knew and was told everything by the mother face to face before she had board and they say it was no problem and then when they came on the plane and said it was okay ,that is at good as it get.The mother did everything by the book.

• harry turnover February 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm

If there is no WRITTEN INFORMATION… hear say, they say you told, I told CANNOT STAND UP IN A COURT OF LAW maam.

• Vashti Brathwaite
      Vashti Brathwaite February 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

Hmmmm Joyann she told him word of mouth, who’s to say he/she wont have convenient memory loss, after all they deal with thousands of passengers daily.

• Mazie Taylor
      Mazie Taylor February 4, 2017 at 8:12 am

A little racism goes a long way.A blind man can see the child has a disability. Hope you get peace dear God bless your child

• Mary-ann Powell
      Mary-ann Powell February 4, 2017 at 8:15 am

I’m not asking persons to agree with me because of what I said but just read and understand before being so quick to judge

• Mary-ann Powell
      Mary-ann Powell February 4, 2017 at 8:31 am

• Victoria Lily
      Victoria Lily February 4, 2017 at 8:49 am

I thought of this too, the part where she said ‘I paid for the seat’ sounds like a deliberate rebellion. Typical of many of us when we feel empowered by our spending.

• Jamal Antoine Archer
      Jamal Antoine Archer February 4, 2017 at 8:57 am

Nothing she did or say would have her flagged from travelling with Jet Blue or have any issues entering America. This sort of thing happens daily on flights. This is just a break down in communication between airline and passenger.

8. Adrian Samuel
    Adrian Samuel February 4, 2017 at 4:56 am

Olivia Brathwaite, Ren Boyce, Dwight Bynoe,Alicia Alicia Yearwood

9. Ryan Gaskin
    Ryan Gaskin February 4, 2017 at 5:46 am

Three sides to a story

10. Timothy Walker
    Timothy Walker February 4, 2017 at 6:00 am

Understand this, when your transport leave you at the airport until your transport take you from the airport you are under the starters order. No Mercy, no grace, do what you know you should, do what you are told, do not talk back. You are under the starters order.

• Joyann Codrington
      Joyann Codrington February 4, 2017 at 6:41 am

Are you silly, how you mean do as your are told really you need some help,

• Timothy Walker
      Timothy Walker February 4, 2017 at 6:49 am

Dear Ms. Codrington you do not know the meaning of under the starters order.

11. Mary-ann Powell
    Mary-ann Powell February 4, 2017 at 6:02 am

Were you there miss Stephanie chase? I don’t need your empathy. Did the paper say I wanted anyone to emphasize with me,did you read the story to know all the facts? You’re speaking like u were on the plane so my guess is u think they were right? Well that’s your opinion move along smartly you’ll teachers do have a way of pin pointing former students you never taught me so u don’t know anything about me

• Krystal Alexis
      Krystal Alexis February 4, 2017 at 7:55 am

Okay first of all, I am sorry that your son was treated in this way. Being in the hospitality industry it is a MUST to be attentive to such things. But look at ur attitude right now!!! Honestly you don’t sound like the same person I read in the article! In the article you come across as humble, sweet, polite…if that’s the case why did it take a 25 min altercation? At what point were you going to be considerate of the other passengers and shut up, do what they want, sit down and plot the whole flight back on how to rape the shit outta Jetblue

But ur on a public forum lashing out at a person who has an OPINION about your situation that YOU made public! If you don’t want empathy from no one why you took it to the paper in the first place? What are you looking for then? MONEY? Is your lawyer on deck? I hope he is and I hope you have a good one! Because this is Jetblue we are talking about.

And plz don’t think I’m against you, cuz ur next reply will justify everything I said. But sis it’s not WHAT you say, it’s HOW you say it! Yea you right we weren’t there, but we only have your side of the story to go off of right now.

Again I’m sorry you had to experience that…Good Luck

12. Mary-ann Powell
    Mary-ann Powell February 4, 2017 at 6:03 am

Oh and the next time I get into the states I’ll make a public notice just for you

13. jrsmith February 4, 2017 at 6:06 am

@,ch , hail, hail, stop being silly what world are you living in , any one approaching her would notice her son has a bib that speaks for itself … I find on US airlines the steward have a ghetto trailer park attitude and mentality..

• ch February 5, 2017 at 12:03 am

As a trained professional, you do not assume or say things, however obvious because people are very sensitive and may be offended.
      Parents in denial or frustration may not want empathy or sympathy for a special-needs child because they want their child to be seen as ” normal”.
      A woman you think is obviously pregnant may just be obese.
      You may see a child who is really an adult little person.
      No, the onus is on the person or parent to notify properly and in advance.

• harry turnover February 5, 2017 at 8:05 am

A steward STATING RULES which APPLIES TO ALL AIRLINES by asking a passenger to remove a child from her lap and to remove a bag from a seat is displaying ghetto trailer park attitude and mentality ? so what kind of attitude and mentality was she displaying when she said ” I paid for that seat ” and the diatribe that followed ? and what kind of mentality are you displaying here when you said…” any one approaching her would notice her son has a bib that speaks for itself “?so are you saying that the Hostess should have IMMEDIATELY RECOGNIZED THAT THE CHILD IS DISABLED ,HAS CEREBRAL PALSY AND WOULD FALL OVER WHEN STRAPPED ON IN A SEAT ?
      Don’t you feel that the woman should have explained THERE
      AND THEN the position ?
      jr smith your mental functions need to be evaluated as soon as possible at JENKINS…ya GARBLING bad.

Big man YOUR mentality needs to evaluated at JENKINS…ya garbling bad.

14. Joyann Codrington
    Joyann Codrington February 4, 2017 at 6:43 am

Hope your son is okay now

15. Sarah Pomeranz Layne
    Sarah Pomeranz Layne February 4, 2017 at 6:56 am

When th passenger made the flight arrangements with the travel agency or the airline direct, she would have, should have added the airline of the condition of the child. This information in the system would have been in rhe reservation amd the flight crew / cabin crew would have been advised she was traveling with a child with this condition. And a quick word with someone on the cabin crew upon boarding might have also helped the situation. We were not there and don’t know if those things were done.

16. Sarah Pomeranz Layne
    Sarah Pomeranz Layne February 4, 2017 at 7:04 am

And to the mother. If you didn’t want comments and suggestions yiu may have considered not putting this in the public domain. . It’s between you and the airline.

17. Maaz A Love
    Maaz A Love February 4, 2017 at 7:10 am

There’s regulations …but at times one can always have some consideration for those who didn’t know and is a not to good situation at the time …Hope her son is ok

18. Patricia Rawlins February 4, 2017 at 7:13 am

All persons with medical problems ,should be explicitly care to mention this to the airline/agent on booking their flight when they travel. If you even need a wheelchair say so. Not to be lengthy but: 1.Give the mum free first class tickets on any future reservations 2. Jet Blue train your staff accordingly.

It behooves me that no other passengers tried to help that young mum. I have sat on planes where they were crying babies and other passengers helped.

19. Heather Barton
    Heather Barton February 4, 2017 at 7:14 am

You get more with honey than you do with vinegar. The crew were doing their job and informing of the rules which are there for a reason. I an sure the crew was not rude in the initial approach, but was met with ” I paid for this seat, tone and attitude. Sorry that the baby was frighten. Most children and some adults are About flying , baby would have also picked up on the mother ‘s feelings and all that was going on , raised voice etc. No excuse for rudeness. A different approach may have brought about a more understand response from the crew.

20. Preya Guyadeen
    Preya Guyadeen February 4, 2017 at 7:32 am

I travel with 4 kids one parent and it’s not easy but I thing I can tell u anger will get u no where when traveling with kids u have to pack a lot of patience as well ! A difference approach might have been better

21. Mia Colucci February 4, 2017 at 7:36 am

The fact that she alerted the airline when she checked in that her child has celebral palsy should have been enough. And what made it worse is that another flight attendant reported her. I’m sorry – that’s not good enough. JetBlue realised they were wrong and they sent her an apology.

22. Raquel Natasha
    Raquel Natasha February 4, 2017 at 7:42 am

Given the child’s disability and the problem of not being able to sit upright on his own, having placed him in a car seat that is airline approved or using The CARES Airplane Safety Harness which has been approved for use by kids, teens and adults with special needs would certainly have aided in this situation.

Pre-travel preparation is an important factor when travelling with children. Contact the airline prior to travel and advise them that you are travelling with a special needs child and their sibling.

Ask about their policy for using an approved car seat for airlines to secure your child or the cares harness.

Hopefully your next flight will be much better!

23. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 4, 2017 at 7:55 am

Crew sometimes lack manners. Mum gave the the glorified waitress coal to add to the fire. The airline information desk ain’t just there to make the airport look pretty. Advised them of her son’s condition and ask would she be allowed to sit him on her lap during take off. Depending on the circumstances i.e. Health & Safety they will accommodate.

• Claire Gibson
      Claire Gibson February 4, 2017 at 8:58 am

“glorified waitress”? Next time your flight looses cabin pressure, you may start to appreciate their training. Serving drinks may be the only thing you see them doing but they are literally trained to save your damn life in an emergency. This is like calling a nurse “hospital valet” just because they also bring ice chips.

• harry turnover February 5, 2017 at 7:23 am

….and passengers sometimes lack manners too as some of them OFTEN board Aircraft with attitude problems like that IDIOT.

24. Fred February 4, 2017 at 8:25 am

Based on the responses of the mother to certain people on Facebook I can see now why they almost kicked her off the plane. That attitude will get you no where.

Next time research before you travel. Contact the airline and ask them specifically what can be done to accommodate your son who is disabled. They will advise you on what you need to do, especially as it relates to his safety during take off and landing.

The flight crew has to comply with federal rules. Failure for them to have everyone comply with those rules during certain phases of flight could result in them losing their jobs. Especially if something unfortunate was to happen. The safety rules are not optional for anyone.

25. David Hall February 4, 2017 at 9:02 am

Am thinking if she were white, we would not be having this discussion.

• T February 4, 2017 at 9:20 am

Am thinking if she was prepared to follow the US laws she agreed to follow on her customs docs, we would not be having this discussion.

• harry turnover February 5, 2017 at 7:18 am

Man why you don’t READ AND UNDERSTAND what started all of this.
      Are YOU implying that if that IDIOT was white she would NOT have been told about the RULES that NO ONE is supposed to have a bag in a seat or a child in their lap?
      Is that what you conclude after reading WHAT SHE SAID ?

26. Claire Gibson
    Claire Gibson February 4, 2017 at 9:03 am

I was not on the plane but if this young woman’s attitude with the flight crew was anything like the attitude she has displayed in this comments section, it’s clear why a simply misunderstanding escalated into her almost being asked to disembark. Often it’s not what you say but how you say it.

27. Susan Renee
    Susan Renee February 4, 2017 at 9:09 am

Reading this, [people need to learn how to talk to people and explain the situation. Also you child drop forward and you refuse to pick him up. silly

28. T February 4, 2017 at 9:15 am

As a former flight crew, I often had unprepared parents who thought they’d be allowed to do whatever they wanted bc they were traveling with small children. The FAA enforce the laws of US flights and pearents need to research ahead when traveling with a child to a foreign country . On US flights, ALL passengers over the age of two need to be seated or in a harness/car seat on take off and landing, so the mom had to “pay for the seat” and ACTUALLY use it. A doctor’s note doesn’t override FAA (Federal aviation administration) regulations and NO flight crew will risk the 10k fine or lose of privileges simply to “play nice”. I’m sorry her trip wasn’t productive medically, but to compound it by being unprepared to comply with US laws was just folly. And pls stop yelling racism just bc you don’t get your own way. Laws are laws to keep everyone as safe as possible. Just because someone actually insist you abide by them isn’t racist, it’s civilization.

29. Richmael February 4, 2017 at 10:18 am

@ch clearly u r just as dumb and stupid as the crew u fool and if she paid for its a paid for seat the crew are dead wrong and if i was her i wud sue jet blue left right n center cause thats the fastest things americans do thats y i will always maintain america is the dumbest country on earth got in more idiots than the rest of the world put together n with donald at the head a damn duck real need God to bless them

30. Vad50 February 4, 2017 at 10:36 am

It is unfortunate what has taken place. However, all the details of the child’s condition should have been placed on her airline portfolio through her Travel agent. However, both the Jet Blue staff and young woman developed attitudes; which escalated the situation. A simple statement such as, I have my son in my lap; because he has cerebral palsy would have deescalated the situation. Also, the Flight Attendants were not very observant of the child. I would not bring race into the situation, and everything is not about race; because based on her comments one of the Flight Attendant were of African Descent. Seven times out of ten, it is about who believes they hold the power; and both sides were trying to assert their rights. No one was willing to listen attentively to what the other person was saying. In future, as a previous writer states; always have your travel agent notify the airline when you are travelling with someone who needs special care. And the traveler should follow up with the airlines to ensure that the information is placed on their portfolio. Honestly, I would have dealt with the airlines; and as a Barbadian National, I would have spoken to Senator Ifill who carries the Accessibility Portfolio for People with Disabilities; to let her know of my treatment by the airlines. The media should be the last resort. No disrespect to Barbados Today.

31. jack baeur February 4, 2017 at 10:43 am

first of all i would not have accepted any written apology. my child and i were not disrespected by letter.each and everyone of those attendants would have to publicly apologized one by one. secondly i would sue that damn airline

32. Samcro February 4, 2017 at 10:46 am

The mother sounds like an idiot the flight crew were doing what they are being paid for

33. Bajan February 4, 2017 at 11:08 am

Its about time LIAT stretched its wings and fly to North America. I am sure it would be supported by the population of share holding States.

34. Ginger February 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm

This airline seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with the type of flight staff they are using. Many of them are very rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. Many of them wont even be hired to clean the cabins of the likes of British and Virgin. Their ghetto behavior comes out quite often on the Caribbean/Latin American flights.

• harry turnover February 5, 2017 at 7:10 am

After reading the article you cussing and blaming the Airline.Shows you and your understanding of the English Language are poles apart
      Go back and see who started this ” ghetto behavior “.

35. Pru alleyne February 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I really think ahe should get justice and those flight attendant be suspended even it wasnr documentes in her portfolio its evident the child has a dissiabillity i mean come on put yr welf in that positiom ahes yravelling alone shea a young mother she never said ahea not taking her bag up she said i aill on the plane has taken off omg ahea a human being wij a small infant ahe did not at any time threatened or cuss thise ppl they should b fired where is the humanity on all omg what ia thiaworld coming too wow !! Miss Powell i woukd take jwtblue to the cleaners if she was white this would never have happen Racism is an will be among us until the end if time stupes smh

36. harry turnover February 4, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Mary Ann Powell you is one ah deese igrant powfull foolish Bajans.You looking fa money but ya en gine get a YEN.

Why…(1).YOU had a duty to inform the Airline of his condition BEFORE YOU boarded the flight.
    ( 2 ) YOU REFUSED to take the child out of your lap WHEN REQUESTED to do so.
    ( 3) instead of YOU telling the Hostess that you paid for the seat as though she didn’t know that YOU should have explained to the Hostess THEN,that the child was disabled.
    The Hostess CANNOT read minds and IF he didn’t fell forward after all the rhetoric you said…they would not have known….what YOU did last YOU should have done FIRST.
    Finally YOU have a DISABLED CHILD…a child with cerebral palsy ,he falls down/forward and you telling me that SOMEBODY would have to tell YOU to pick him up and ya still din pick him up and another had to come and tell YOU to pick him up too?
    Woman you should not be on a flight you should be CHARGED with child neglect and remanded to Jenkins for observation cause you sound like one of those so called ‘ mothers ” that would as Bajans say frig up their children to prove a point or to get back at the child father

37. Donild Trimp February 4, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Why are Barbadians so ignorant to reality?

If you are told to place your bag under the seat you do not reply with “I paid for the seat”. What the hell does paying for the seat got to with your obligation to follow the rules?

I understand the need to be assertive at times but this is not being assertive, this is being ignorant.

There must be “alternative facts” to this story.

38. Mikey February 4, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Any of you Commentators were there ???
    We blame Barbadian Custom and Immigration Officers of being rude,,,, now we are blaming Bajan travellers of being rude.
    We need a School of Discipline in Barbados.
    KEEP PULLING DOWN BARBADOS AND BAJANS !!!

• harry turnover February 4, 2017 at 4:35 pm

“Other parts of the World are better places, including Turkey, Ukraine, Syria, Haiti and Afghanistan.”…..and YOU en pulling down Barbados and Bajans with that statement too.?
      Somebody should tell you cause ya like ya en know that ya spitting in the air and that ya should go and wash ya face and whilst there you should also wash ya mout and flush it.
      Such a weird character…sounds like you does handstand and bathe and sleep upside down jack.

• harry turnover February 4, 2017 at 4:40 pm

…should be.wipe ya mout and flush it.

39. Donild Trimp February 4, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Mikey, I am sorry to say, you are an idiot.

Did you read the story?

“I had my bag on the seat” ————- “and I told her [the flight attendant] I paid for the seat”. What was that all about?

That is not an assertive person, that is a confrontational person getting themselves into a situation they could never win.

My sympathy is for the kid and his illness.

I have no sympathy for this woman.

• harry turnover February 4, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Donald how can you call Mickey an IDIOT ? the man is a FIDIOT from the top floor .In another forum I had to classify him as a stranger to common sense and a foreigner to the English language.
      He has the gall to inquire if we were there…WERE YOU THERE MICKEY ?
      People here are commenting ON WHAT SHE SAID…and yours is the ONLY one that has NO BEARING on the topic WHATSOEVER

40. Ch February 4, 2017 at 2:49 pm

@jr smith how the …. you know if the child had a bib on u were not there.

41. Peter g February 4, 2017 at 2:55 pm

@mickey you have a good point sir

42. Lucinda February 4, 2017 at 3:08 pm

First off when booking a flight and as a concerned parent travelling with a special needs child ask about their procedure in handling such, should be your first priority. Being upset because of your prior experience travelled with you as so you lashed out at the first person that approached and who are in the right for stating what they were trained for in the safety not only of the passenger but of their crew and aircraft as well. I am sorry for the situation you found your self. I realized in you writing that u think you were not addressed properly. Rules and regulations are set for our own safety and we have a tendency to gave here and there but in this situation it is more serious. As you all know they state that all luggage should be able to fit in the over head bin and all bags under the seat. There’s a reason for all that and it is SAFETY. For all. I am not saying that you don’t know but you was being ignorant to what you know and so embarrassed yourself. Why do we always speak first and think last. We are often taught look before you leap. This holds true for every given situation. Still you should pay close attention to your child and him falling forward could been avoided had you braced him with your hand. If your are saying this is not the way to treat a child with special needs then thats on you the mother not the airline crew. It’s your right not to be negligence about your responsibility.

43. Ron sampson February 4, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Some bajans think that they can do and say what they like but get offended when spoken to when wrong like the lady on the aircraft totally out of line. She has no manners whatsoever she should be from some other place other than barbados shameful senario.

44. Kevin February 4, 2017 at 3:25 pm

The ‘I paid for that seat’ comment is what set off this whole thing.

45. Ego February 4, 2017 at 4:54 pm

The crew was doing their job. She did not made prearranged plans for the child. I have travelled with disabled persons, and there are seat adjustable fixtures. She started off wrong, and was rude on top of it. Everyone pays for their seat.. She was disappointed that the clinic could not help her baby, she had no right to take it out on the crew, she also transmit her displeasure to the child. He was sensitive to her emotions. In future just advise every one of his condition and they will be happy to accommodate them. Hope you son gets the treatment he needs

• harry turnover February 4, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Well said !! frustrated that the child didn’t get through …VEXED that she has a disabled child and got the gall to tell them ‘what they did last ,they should have done first “..one MISERABLE woman.

46. Peter g February 4, 2017 at 4:56 pm

@ david hallWhy bring race into this dicussion some people like they want to carry this discussion in another direction.anyway thats all wanna bajans first could say .race. none of you so call commenters were there with the exception of one lady who would know the facts otherwise shut the …. up

47. Solange February 4, 2017 at 8:03 pm

All wanna judging but some ppl.thst was on the plane saying different
    YAH see some of us bajan like to crucified ppl fast
    Jet blue staff unmmannerly as shite too
    And that child should have been secure by the crew
    First and foremost
    It the crew duty to make sure mums with kids
    Are secured properly
    Take a leaf out virgin
    American airline
    Air Canada
    And British airline

• harry turnover February 6, 2017 at 8:02 pm

“It the crew duty to make sure mums with kids
      Are secured properly”… …”.And that child should have been secure by the crew”…..AND WHAT DO YOU THINK THE HOSTESS WAS DOING WHEN THAT IDIOT WAS TOLD TO PLACE THE CHILD IN THE SEAT ?
      Solange..ask Barbados Today to delete that CHUPID comment before other people read it.

• harry turnover February 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm

So are you saying it was DIFFERENT to what the mother said ? are you therefore implying that she was telling lies on herself ? and what are the ” SOME OTHER” people saying ?
      …and crews DON”T HAVE TO SECURE a fella !!….they are there to make sure EVERYONE IS SECURED that is why the mother was POLITELY asked to TAKE THE CHILD FROM HER LAP

48. Seat 16A February 4, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I was on the same flight as this woman and she was troublesome from the start. She took exception to being given a legal instruction by the airline’s Caucasian flight attendant and it descended from there… I already contacted Elizabeth Ninomiya to vouch for the flight crew’s impeccable handling of the situation, so, to the ‘mother’: if you’re hoping to sue and get a paycheck, don’t hold your breath… or actually, please do!

49. Shaka February 4, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Judge less ye be judged. None of you were there! Say nothing about no one!

• harry turnover February 6, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Exactly…that is why I am commenting on what she said.If you can’t comment on that ,don’t tell me say say nothing….don’t judge me mate.

50. Mikey February 5, 2017 at 3:45 pm

@TURNOVER AND TRIMP ,, Sorry you guys did not even read into
    the sarcasm of Turkey, Syria etc…..
    She is not telling lies saying she paid , yes she paid and what about saying so ???
    they saw the bag in the seat but they did not see a physically challenged infant ???
    When the shoe gets on you guys feet, then you will feel the discrimination stabbing in your ribs. Good luck to the American workers doing their job to the satisfaction of a Turnover and a Trump Trimp !!! Criticising the young woman for paying interest to her sick child is the best you guys can do ???
    One day you will wake up and smell the coffee.

• harry turnover February 6, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Sarcasm???? what sarcasm are you talking about ???…that was a DIRECT condemnation of Barbados and Bajans from the VERY START TO THE VERY END.
      Show me the sarcasm Mikey !! and your latest comment is a CONTINUATION of your condemnation of Barbados and Bajans…so wha you telling me ?
      Mickey you REALLY understood what was said ?? what discrimination you talking about when a BLACK WOMAN was the one who told her STOP BEING IGNORANT and PICK UP HER CHILD…MIKEY ..WHO WAS SHOWING INTEREST IN THE CHILD AND WHO WAS NOT ??
      Read what the person in seat 16A had to say.One day you WILL wake up and learn COMMON SENSE and how to read and UNDERSTAND what you read.

51. Troy February 5, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Why is this forum used to hurl insults at each other? None of us would like to be in this situation that was experienced by the young lady. So let us be civil and await the outcome of this matter.

• harry turnover February 6, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Troy,she brought that onto herself. One must obey instructions ON AN AIRCRAFT’
      If she didn’t ” light the match,the fire would not have started ”
      “Why is this forum used to hurl insults at each other “?….because we are living in a REAL WORLD mate…time you get use to it big man.

52. Kris February 7, 2017 at 3:54 am

Mary-Anne said a lot about her self in the short story. I feel extremely sorry for her and her son and pray that they find the peace and happiness they deserve. I hope that mature persons would not continue to mislead her but give her sound advice. At least I can see, from her report, that she is an honest but “simple” person. Certain characteristics were sadly revealed Inicently and in ignorance. May the good Lord bless her together with her son and help them with the many issues.