Scammed

Visitors ‘cheated of deposits’ at West Coast condo

The perception of Barbados as all fun and sun in paradise has certainly changed for Canadian visitors Jan and Cyndi Oster, who claimed they had been cheated of $2,500, used as security deposit for their accommodation here.

The retired couple, who vowed never to return to Barbados, urged prospective visitors to do their due diligence on accommodation advertised online, before parting with their hard-earned cash.

In an interview with Barbados TODAY Tuesday morning, Jan said they had planned a yearlong Barbadian adventure, but were forced to cut it short because of the way matters relating to their accommodation unfolded.

Canadian visitors Jan and Cyndi Oster have been left with a bitter feeling after they were apparently cheated of a $2,500 deposit on their accommodation.

He revealed having conducted an online search for long-term accommodation, they settled on a condominium at Sunset Crest, St James, which was managed by agent Rival Enterprises.

After paying the security deposit of $2,500 via credit card, they arrived in October last year, and a few days after settling in they were startled one morning when the property owner attempted to gain access to the apartment.

Jan said the owner advised them he was unaware that the property was being rented.

“On October 12th the owner came to check on his apartment and was surprised to see it had renters. He spoke to [the agent] and then came back to tell us to continue to pay rent to [the agent] and we are welcome to stay, and asked us how long we would be staying. At this point he indicated [that the agent] had not informed him of the booking and he had not received any money from our rent or deposits,” Jan said.

The couple was later informed by the owner that the condominium was under new management and that Rival Enterprises was no longer overseeing any transactions on his behalf.

They also learnt that the property was up for sale and a hastened departure would be welcomed. However, they were given no indication as to how they would recoup their deposit, as the owner and new agent expressed an unwillingness to honour the previous agreement.

“We sent [the owner] emails asking him for assistance in getting our damage deposit back.  He never responded to any of the emails. We copied Rival Enterprises on these emails. We were told by [the new agent] to leave [the owner] out of all correspondence as she is our only contact from now on,” the frustrated husband explained.

“We spoke to the previous agent about returning the damage deposit and was told ‘get it from owner’ and walked away. The transfer between property management should be seamless to us and not affect us. We paid our rent and deposit out of good faith,” he protested.

Jan said the agent also informed the couple the owner would do nothing to ensure they received their deposit since “the contract was between Rival Enterprises and us and [the owner] had nothing to do with our moving in” because he knew nothing about the arrangement.

The visitors claimed they suggested that the deposit could go towards rent. However, they said this was met with a hostile threat to throw them out of the apartment.

“We came to Barbados to enjoy the country and be tourists here, but the situation that we found ourselves in now means that we don’t want to come back to a situation where we feel like we are being scammed or there is fraudulent activities going on here,” Jan said, although he indicated the couple would consider returning if the matter were resolved satisfactorily.

“If this is happening to us, we have to wonder who else it is happening to. So that is why we are bringing it to the forefront. This is horrible. We planned to stay a year but we are leaving because we really can’t take it anymore,” an emotional Cyndi Oster added.

Barbados TODAY made several attempts to reach the manager of Rival Enterprises and left several messages but up to the time of publication there had been no acknowledgement.

127 Responses to Scammed

1. Ronnie Warren
    Ronnie Warren February 1, 2017 at 12:25 am

Name the individuals. Do not let them hide behind a company name.

• Shanna Thompson
      Shanna Thompson February 1, 2017 at 1:10 am

Yeah they always hide names. I feel like the media in Barbados is the absolute worst

• hcalndre February 1, 2017 at 5:05 am

Ronnie W, you know you can`t call names in barbados, you`ll have go to Naked Departure.

• David Wyndoze
      David Wyndoze February 1, 2017 at 9:14 am

NAME the thieves!

• paul ellyatt February 2, 2017 at 11:23 am

hi ronnie they cant release any name as at this stage it would be just an accusation until it goes to court and you know how the court system works here, could drag on for years thats how these scammers get away with it again and again

2. Terisha Farrell
    Terisha Farrell February 1, 2017 at 12:29 am

Jermaine Clarke

3. Derek Edwards
    Derek Edwards February 1, 2017 at 12:41 am

Been happening long time. It’s about time

4. Tony Corbin
    Tony Corbin February 1, 2017 at 12:44 am

The police should be made aware of this

5. Chrissy Pantoja
    Chrissy Pantoja February 1, 2017 at 12:44 am

I feel for the couple. If there was a lapse between management but were given access to the apartment, there really shouldn’t be a question of them being able to stay there. Confusing for the new management and visitors perhaps, but is it good business practice to kick them out?

6. Stephen Taylor
    Stephen Taylor February 1, 2017 at 12:53 am

Feel sorry for them. Not positive advertising.

7. Sally Sims
    Sally Sims February 1, 2017 at 1:02 am

Place getting wilder by the day ..

8. Hunte Omar
    Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 1:09 am

This to me sounds like an over reaction. If what is reported is true, then this is a matter for the police and law Court. You are a victim of dishonesty. Rather than pulling down Barbados, why not seek legal guidance, as to a breach of contractual obligation and general damages . Hope you do not let this matter go unattended.

• Alicia February 1, 2017 at 7:55 am

I so agree with you. I have never heard of such a thing in Barbados but you never know but why cry down the entire country. I work in the hotel industry and most of the time its guess not wanting to pay their bills. Nevertheless. Hope they get it solved.

• Heather Thompson February 1, 2017 at 8:08 am

This doesn’t sound like over reacting to me! I was born in Barbados and when I go back I try to be very careful as far as money goes! Because I live in another country SOME people in Barbados think that I am loaded and try every trick in the booked to pull one over on me! you then get the extremes where other people can’t do enough to help – by going that extra mile out of pure kindness! sadly it’s the bad deeds that make headlines. As for seeking legal guidance this couple would be out of pocket! legal guidance cost money and it would cost about $3,000 to bring a court case! so most people just give up! knowing that they money has long been gone. This sort of thing is really giving Barbados a bad name. Some might say that the police don’t want to know because this is a civil matter and not criminal one! surely taking money under false pretences is fraud and therefore a crime.

• Baje Mcg
      Baje Mcg February 1, 2017 at 8:52 am

It only an over reaction when it’s not your money….some of these “Realtors” try to take advantage of people sometimes. It is certainly not a reaction…I was born in bim and visit a couple times a year…last year some friends and I rented a villa, $1450/night and when it was time for out trip the realtor tried to add on additional cost, which of course we refused to pay.

• David Wyndoze
      David Wyndoze February 1, 2017 at 9:15 am

Tummuch thiefin in Bim!!

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 9:15 am

They have every right to bring this to the attention of others, going to the media is the best way of doing so. Now tourist can be aware and take precautions in order to prevent it from happen to them. We need people to come forward on these matters. They should file charges as well with the RBPF.

• LadySparta M Mapp
      LadySparta M Mapp February 1, 2017 at 9:35 am

What u mean pulling down Barbados? The citizens who doing such act is who pulling down Barbados. I had my share of scam in bim also wdf. I know how they but at least I wasn’t scam that much money. It’s wickedness amd they shud get justice….

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:36 am

David Wyndoze Not only in Bim bro.

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:41 am

Baje Mcg This could happen any part of the Globe. This kind of dishonesty is not confine to Barbados so why attack the Country , that to me is an over reaction. I am sure there are avenues where a matter like this can be addressed.

• hcalndre February 1, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I`m tired of hearing from some bajans when there`s a problem, whether its pot holes, robberies, shootings or what ever, even the politicians would say that it is in their country too, but if I leave my country and came to barbados, I did not pay my money to encounter those problems, it would been better that I stayed in my home town.

• Baje Mcg
      Baje Mcg February 1, 2017 at 9:48 am

Of course if can happen and does happen all over the world but that is not the point. Where ever it happens should be brought to light
      …I don’t think anyone just picks money up off the street…and dishonest people should be exposed….I have been lucky so far…making reservations right not for my next visit and I certainly hope I do not have to deal with one if these dishonest people

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:50 am

LadySparta M Mapp They reaction to the incident would suggest the couple had a problem with the Country ad not only the person they did business with.

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:59 am

Maria Leclair Dasilva correct

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 10:00 am

Whether or not theft happens in other places other than Bim is irrelevant. The point is this theft took place in Barbados and needs to be dealt with.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 10:03 am

Hunte Omar their reaction to me suggest they are pissed off, disappointed, angry and the fact that they mentioned Barbados should not be taken literally.

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 10:07 am

Maria Leclair Dasilva Sorry you missed my point. It is quite disgusting each time a visitor experience a challenge with criminal behaviour, they reaction, ‘I am not returning to the Country’. As though the Country do you something wrong. The point is , don’t matter where you go to vacation or visit, the criminal behaviour will be a challenge. However, you seek to legal redress deal with the situation .

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 10:13 am

Maria Leclair Dasilva I am human and understand their bad encounter and that is why they should seek exploring avenues of civil action against the offenders.

• Helene Bernard February 1, 2017 at 11:35 am

I agree, Barbados like so many other countries have frauds.
      Don’t blame the 99.9 % honest people of Barbados.
      If you were ever in Barbados with the best experience you would never leave.
      I have been there over 15 times and never had a complain. Stayed at Sunset cress in the studios, Villas etc never had an issue
      just awesome Bajans

• J. Payne February 1, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Law courts where????? They would get restitute by the courts sometime between now and never ever ever…

9. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor February 1, 2017 at 1:15 am

I ain’t see no mention of these ppl calling d police……

• Julie Michele
      Julie Michele February 1, 2017 at 6:25 am

Police would not be interested as its a civil matter not a criminal one!

• Reece Wyld
      Reece Wyld February 1, 2017 at 9:36 am

If the agent is indeed no longer responsible for the property, having still rented it out is grounds for fraud. Police can get involved.

10. Destiny Tina Weekes
    Destiny Tina Weekes February 1, 2017 at 2:01 am

Yes they should of call the police to much thief and tricksters in Barbados and bloody liars

11. Rebekah Alexander
    Rebekah Alexander February 1, 2017 at 2:10 am

Ummm okay…so a couple things not making sense here. These people will write off a whole country over an isolated incident involving a few people? These people planning on staying a whole year and $2,500 forces them to abort their plan? You can’t be planning to stay anywhere a whole year and allow a relatively small amount to throw your plans off like that. Common sense ain’t so common.

• Kemar Sandy
      Kemar Sandy February 1, 2017 at 3:08 am

2500CDN security deposit. The property management wants them gone they want back their deposit or apply it towards rent. Management doesn’t want too.

• Ali Johannes
      Ali Johannes February 1, 2017 at 7:27 am

$2500 should hardly be regarded as a small amount to lose. I doubt you would feel that way if that happened to you. That might be the same thinking of the agent or whoever is responsible and why they think they could get away with it. If it were $25, they still have a right to cry out for their money. People are too dishonest!

• Rebekah Alexander
      Rebekah Alexander February 1, 2017 at 7:35 am

I’d be mad as hell. But, I wouldn’t blame an entire country. I’d also make sure I had contingency funds because yes, it’s a lot of money to lose but in the grand scheme of two people over the course of a year it’s relatively small. Travel brings the unexpected and requires resilience.

• Linda Malsbury
      Linda Malsbury February 1, 2017 at 8:08 am

They don’t blame the entire country. They have simply turned sour from their experience. This is normal.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

I don’t think they are literally blaming the entire country. They are pissed off, wouldn’t you be?

12. Pee Parris
    Pee Parris February 1, 2017 at 2:31 am

How they got permission to stay a year I don’t understand, nevertheless I think this kind of publicity is not good for a country already going through turbulent times, I hope the matter is resolved amicably

• Lesley Butler
      Lesley Butler February 1, 2017 at 5:59 am

Yes, I was the thinking the same thing. Visitors permit is 3 months isn’t it?

• Nisha Shari John
      Nisha Shari John February 1, 2017 at 6:43 am

No its 6 months

• Dan Rm
      Dan Rm February 1, 2017 at 6:48 am

This is not bad publicity. It just shows how careless they were not to research.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 9:22 am

What is there to research? They trusted the information given to them as to who the agent was (who they paid their damage deposit to and rent) what further more should they have done?

13. Wayne February 1, 2017 at 2:50 am

I am confused, they had to get a key right? Who gave them the key? If the agency no longer manages the property who gave them a key??? Hmmmmmm

14. Olive Kate
    Olive Kate February 1, 2017 at 2:56 am

Sunset crest condo… wonder if it’s golden view Trina Olivieri-Keller

15. Sam February 1, 2017 at 3:12 am

I agree with above this thing happens every day in London, tourists turn up to apartments they have rented ‘online’ by scammers millions miles away on Internet. Everyone should check and double check or book through a recommendation where you know someone has already stayed. This is a matter for Police, would not put me off staying on beautiful Barbados.

16. Hal Austin February 1, 2017 at 3:38 am

Have you spoken to the owner and agents? Who are they? Again, poor news reporting. There are two – sometimes more – sides to a story.

17. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett February 1, 2017 at 3:38 am

It is sad that they feel this way about my beautiful Barbados. Not everyone in Barbados are dishonest. Yes, you did the right thing by going to the papers to let other people know what these fraudulent monsters are doing but you all should also go to the police. I am sure you all have names of the individuals of the Management company that you all dealt with. Please seek legal help to recoup your hard earned money. You deserved to be able to stay and enjoy your years stay in Barbados without this stress. Hope this matter get resolved as soon as possible.

• hcalndre February 1, 2017 at 5:20 am

Seeking legal help maybe another problem, this should be a small claims`court matter, how much would it cost them to get their $2,500? they may still be at a loss.

• Sue Williams
      Sue Williams February 1, 2017 at 10:24 am

Unfortunately, the legal help may cost more than the money than they are owed as a refund.

18. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall February 1, 2017 at 4:02 am

Call the fraud squad

19. Valerie Da Costa Greaves
    Valerie Da Costa Greaves February 1, 2017 at 4:30 am

Never yet been allowed a year’s stay six months usual stay??

20. Elvin Brome
    Elvin Brome February 1, 2017 at 4:47 am

Hope we get the rest of this story

21. John Herbert
    John Herbert February 1, 2017 at 4:56 am

Remember folks, and we should always be so guided…this is just one side of the story. How can you be asking for names when you do not know if this is true? The last couple who said that they were robbed of thousands of dollars in Jewelry, it turned out to be a scam.

22. Sandra Gollop Jackson
    Sandra Gollop Jackson February 1, 2017 at 5:33 am

Call the police because all of us are not like that. Please believe me

23. Looker February 1, 2017 at 5:34 am

I’m sorry but put yourself in the shoes of these visitors and you feel you are being scammed ALL parties have to feel the weight Country, police,agent,owner bti bhta allllllll

24. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim February 1, 2017 at 6:03 am

Should have taken that $2500 plus accommodation funds and call Sandy Lane…… Or Waves Hotel….. Those Condominiums especially on the west coast, most of those owners are overseas and placed with agents. So if a thorough review was never done on the agency who is you to blame a whole island? Oh please!!!! #getalawyer

• Baje Mcg
      Baje Mcg February 1, 2017 at 8:58 am

What is a what is a thorough review??? I travel to bim a couple times a year and the only information I have to go by is what I see online when booking my lodging…there is no guarantee what you will encounter when dealing with people. …you can check all the reviews but there is no guarantee you will be dealing with an honest person. Fortunately for me, I have not run into a situation that hasn’t been resolved yet

25. Shamar Reece
    Shamar Reece February 1, 2017 at 6:03 am

So instead of them doing their own due diligence from start they decided to blame Barbados for one person’s fraudulent behaviour??? Stupse dear tourists people are swindled alllllll over the world. Secondly, instead of seeking legal redress you went to the media with this story….I seriously doubt your seriousness in trying to recoup your money.

• Mary Anderson February 1, 2017 at 9:15 am

Unfortunately, there are people everywhere who just don’t care who they cheat, lie, or steal from. Happens everywhere and ALL THE TIME. This rental company KNEW they were cheating people and should be made accountable for it. Not the owners. You don’t even know who these renters are, how do you know they did not research thoroughly. They were cheated by the thieves in Barbados. Why would they want to go back? They may not have extra money for lawyers. You know nothing of these tourists. I go for 3 weeks every year and I am far from rich. I scrimp and save ALL YEAR to be able to go. If I had a bad experience there, I would certainly not want to go back.

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:43 am

Correct and that is they error.

26. Carolyn Gill Humphrey
    Carolyn Gill Humphrey February 1, 2017 at 6:25 am

I feel sorry for their situation, but they lost me when they blamed Barbados for this. This sort of thing happens everywhere – it is a risk anyone takes when they rent accommodation. Even with due diligence they may not have been able to avoid this, unless there were negative reviews about Rival doing this to other people. Barbados is not to blame for this.

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar February 1, 2017 at 9:45 am

Hope the couple read this very well spoken.

27. Dan Rm
    Dan Rm February 1, 2017 at 6:45 am

So you’re never coming back because you were cheated by someone??
    1st world countries are the head places that you get scammed.
    Next time do your research and use some common sense.

• Angus Benn
      Angus Benn February 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

I think that you missing the point. What research you are speaking about .you didn’t read what take place between the owner and the agent. You can’t see that the agent refused to let the owner of the building know that they collect money from these people.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

What research should they have done?

• Dan Rm
      Dan Rm February 1, 2017 at 9:27 am

Research as in find a place with a solid reputation. This doesn’t happen to everyone and people do leave reviews. Do you just wire money overseas to a company just like that??

• hcalndre February 2, 2017 at 6:26 am

Dan RM, you think that they should have taken a flight to barbados with the money give it to the honest agent, instead of by wire, do you know that is called wire fraud, then return to their country until they`re ready for their holiday. Some people are asking why blame barbados? every one should know what they mean, its just like how bajans are quick to blame america even when the problem happens in barbados and by their own.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva February 1, 2017 at 9:57 am

They thought they did have a place of solid reputation when they found this agent. This could have happened to anyone. It appears as though the agent was also scamming the owner of the property by not letting him know the place was rented while they were collecting rent.

28. Sherlock Holmes. February 1, 2017 at 6:48 am

This seems to be an act of deception on the part of the agent. Therefore the services of the police fraud unit should be solicited.

29. Andréa Andrews-Farley
    Andréa Andrews-Farley February 1, 2017 at 6:49 am

Catherine Byer. Read this!

30. Roger Singh
    Roger Singh February 1, 2017 at 7:02 am

In Barbados we don’t do business like what is being express the first thing to do was to get your contact and payment recite and turn up at the police station. And no body could have put you out of the apartment. But knowing how the north Americans do things the probably wanted to get something free

31. George Brathwaite
    George Brathwaite February 1, 2017 at 7:06 am

Most unfortunate although all things are not adding up. Further investigations needed, and the couple must be given the benefit of the doubt and showed that there is a better side to Barbados and Barbadians.

32. Ann Batey
    Ann Batey February 1, 2017 at 7:16 am

Surely if they paid by credit card they can claim it back through the CC company?

• Ali Johannes
      Ali Johannes February 1, 2017 at 7:28 am

No, they don’t operate like that. Only the payee can reimburse.

• Ann Batey
      Ann Batey February 1, 2017 at 8:04 am

No the cardholder is the one who claims

33. Samantha Foreverbless Harris
    Samantha Foreverbless Harris February 1, 2017 at 7:28 am

Get the police involved ,this is fraud.

34. Sunil Brome February 1, 2017 at 7:49 am

At this point the agent seems to be at fault. The owner would have engaged the agent for bookings. Clearly the owner was not aware of the booking.
    First of all the agent seems to be dubious I see no mention of police. This could happen anywhere unfortunately.

With the absence of police mention why are you turning to the media, your legal position has not been exhausted. If it is as clear as you say it is go to the police you have been defrauded. Call credit card company you have been defrauded.

35. Sunil Brome
    Sunil Brome February 1, 2017 at 7:59 am

Bull…

First of all a year is not guaranteed by immigration.

Secondly no mention made of police interaction.

Thirdly payment made by credit card…you were defrauded pick up the damn phone call somebody.

Lastly without mentioned attempts at the police or credit card company what is this article to acheive? Should we hold their damn hands and walk them into the Police station? You have a consulate office here not so? And Barbados Today this publication is worldwide this article is irresponsible.

36. Linda Malsbury
    Linda Malsbury February 1, 2017 at 8:11 am

While it seems reasonable to go to the police, my experience with the police in Bim has been dismal. I have gone to the police. I have had reports written. I have had NO (I repeat: NO) followthrough. It may be the case for non-nationals only. (?) But it has been the case for me. It only adds to the feeling of helplessness.

37. WatchfulWarrior February 1, 2017 at 8:24 am

I hope this newspaper print what I want to say…nevertheless…
    Bajans who pray for this nation…love this mation…dont you find it strange that within the last few days there have been increasingly stories from visitors concerning this island … And that its coming from UK visitors…
    I have watched news reports of people who are letting their homes…condos for rwent and having nightmares for renters…people who steal.trash the place…overstay their welcome…use stolen credit cards …
    But those news reports tend to have a moment where they go to the accused to get their side even if they don’t respond.
    Please news outlet… Do not go ahead with sensational news reports on your own nation without just cause…Not every story is true…Test the validity of a story…
    If the hotels..condos..apartment.. And house owners of this nation had to come out with the horror stories that “visitors” put them through the world would accuse us of slandering the good name of people who come to our island..
    Visitor Misunderstandings… Mid fortunes happen all over the world…As someone who work in tourism I will tell you … Seek both sides of the story…

38. Elvis Burke
    Elvis Burke February 1, 2017 at 8:40 am

If the money was paid by credit card it is easy to recover

39. Helen Phillips
    Helen Phillips February 1, 2017 at 8:43 am

The owner should have picked a better mangement agent. The personal touch is so much better than agency

40. Pam Fazio
    Pam Fazio February 1, 2017 at 8:44 am

Race was not even mentioned. Has nothing to do with this.

41. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily February 1, 2017 at 8:55 am

Sounds like a case for the police to me. Can’t tell people not to come to Barbados when that’s just your one bad experience. I can understand you not recommending the company or Sandy Crest but there are many other places of accommodations others can seek. On the light side, your tan looks lovely. I’m sure you like that.

42. Aileen Smith
    Aileen Smith February 1, 2017 at 9:03 am

This could happen anywhere and they should recoup the $2,500 from the company they paid it to.

43. Martine Boyer
    Martine Boyer February 1, 2017 at 9:04 am

I never heard about this company and I am afraid to rent from some owner in England on sites such as Homeaway or others. I like to rent from Altman and we never had a problem with them.

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner February 1, 2017 at 9:16 am

I am an owner in England and advertise through Owners Direct/Home Away and I can assure you that all my guests get their deposits back. They pay online with a credit card to Owners Direct/Home Away which protects them from just such an incident as this. This is an isolated incident which is very unfortunate but it’s good to do homework upfront and perhaps not go through an agent who obviously nobody has ever heard of!! Just saying……

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner February 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

Hey Martine, I’m off tomorrow :)!!! X

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner February 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

Look out pics 🙂 🙂 :)!!!!!!

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner February 1, 2017 at 9:31 am

for pics I mean!!!!

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner February 1, 2017 at 9:32 am

XXX

44. KathyAnn February 1, 2017 at 9:11 am

Yes you can stay a year you will be given six month and then you will get extension for each month after which is a cost once you have everything in order you can stay 1 year and over as a tourist. In connection with the treatment there got it is indeed sad for us as a country to have this in the news but the fact here is these persons where wronged and therefore whether tourist or if it was local something need to be done people need to stop this scamming after people work so hard for them money. This could have happen to anyone even if you had investigate as some people got it set up so well. To the couple I am sorry there got the wrong hand of our lovely country but I hope some aid would be given to them. God bless

45. Martin McCormick
    Martin McCormick February 1, 2017 at 9:11 am

No such thing as typical white people. There is such a thing as ignorant racist comments though

46. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn February 1, 2017 at 9:28 am

THE AGENT IS THE ONE AT FAULT.THE AGENT WAS HAIRED BY THE OWNER OF THE APARTMENT. THEY COLLECT MONEY ON BEHALF OF THE OWNER AND REFUSE TO LET THE OWNER KNOW THAT THEY HAVE GUEST COMING IN THE APARTMENT. JUST LIKE IF YOU ARE LIVING IN LONDON AND YOU SEND MONEY TO A LAWYER TO FINISHED PAY OFF FOR A HOUSE. YOU HAVE THE KEYS BUT THE OWNER TOLD YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE HOUSE BECAUSE THE HOUSE STILL OWED MONEY ON IT.

47. Chris February 1, 2017 at 9:32 am

@Dan Rm. they were not careless and there is only so much research you can do. This can happen to anyone! Many ‘ligit’ companies have been found guilty of these acts. Maybe you should do your research.

48. Johnathan February 1, 2017 at 9:32 am

Surprise the number of comments you get on gossip and not serious matters that affect our lives.Bajans for yuh…

49. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn February 1, 2017 at 9:34 am

Their is a lot of dishonest people out there.That agent should charge for fraud.,and license taken away. It is giving Barbados a bad name.once those people go home and they complain to their authority it is going to have effect on Barbados.We don’t know who they connected to.

50. Lisa Europe
    Lisa Europe February 1, 2017 at 10:00 am

My father is a Bajan and most of my family is still living there, I live in Canada and visit BIM at least twice a year. Barbados honestly has the nicest people and IMO some of the most trust worthy! One of our trips about a year ago we lost our apartment and car keys at Oistins on a Friday night, not only did they search they called the lady late at night who owned the restaurant where they were being held to come open up!! Our keys were returned and the following Friday when we returned we were greeted with warm hugs and a free meal!! Barbados is a beautiful island so to blame the whole island for one persons actions is really unfair !!

51. Silleta TooHot Davis
    Silleta TooHot Davis February 1, 2017 at 10:19 am

Denita DaEmpress Davis

52. Brewster February 1, 2017 at 10:20 am

Firstly, can’t understand the 1 year stay! Secondly, if I had been in a property renting and somebody entered with a key. I would have called the police immediately, who I presume would have contacted the booking agent to find out what was happened. The police would have a documented note for fraud and so on. Thd deposit made by cc should have been refunded if all details are correct. Can’t understand how long they were into their stay before this happened. Please don’t blame Barbados for this. As you well know fraudsters are allover the place. Use tripadvisor as an indicator when choosing locations or recommendations via tourist offices for long stays. Research online before departing with large sums of money. Anyway, this is not acceptable and should be followed up legally.

53. Dean Fritz
    Dean Fritz February 1, 2017 at 10:24 am

I’m Canadian and spend a great deal of time in Barbados..saying you will never come back to Barbados is your loss…Barbados is the safest island in the Caribbean, some of the nicest people you will ever meet…This should not even be making headlines…This happens everyday in Canada…While I’m sympathetic to your loss, tarnishing an entire nation is not the way to go about it…3 sides to the story…

54. Aneta February 1, 2017 at 11:11 am

People. It is still a reflection on our country. This is not the first case nor will it be the last. I know of another family of 10 who paid their monies for a rental. On arriving the pictures posted did not reflect what they paid for. Can you imagine being showed rooms to accommodate 10 and when you reach the property could only accommodate 6? This family could not get back their monies and had to seek accommodation elsewhere. We have a culture of scammers in this country. Our people is a reflection of our country though. Just my thoughts

55. Tony Waterman February 1, 2017 at 12:29 pm

@Hunte Omar!!!! You are a part of the PROBLEM, that as printed in this Article was a HOIRRIBLE way to treat anyone Tourist or Native. and what’s with this Foolishness of Pulling Down Barbaados, Barbados is the Sum of it’s People so when the People act badly, in my view Barvbados acts Badly, who do you think they should blame for this Thuggery.
    You are asking VISITORS to the Island to get involved in the Judicial System in Barbados ?? is something wrong with your Head??
    @ANN BATEY!!! There is a Limit to the time one has to make that Claim or put a Stop to the Payment, and it seems to me that they prepaid long before they arrived in Barbados, so that time window might have closed.
    @Kate Turner!!! Sorry!!! This is NOT Isolated, i know of someone here in Ottawa, who went through this in Barbados, Unfortunately no one heard of this Because the Guy involved is what one would call “SEEDY” and took matters into his own Hand, i will tell you that the Money WAS Returned in full and in CASH.(no more about that one)
    @Elvis Burke!!! No it is NOT see above.
    @Aneta!!! Thank you so much, what is happening in Barbados, is that everyone seens to have their Heads stuck in the Sand, not Realising that their ASSES are exposed.
    Why Do i ahve the feeling that no one seems to realise that thgese two entities
    Rival Enterprises.and the Current Mnagement is at Loggers Head, and these people are caught in the Middle.

The visitors claimed they suggested that the deposit could go towards rent.

@ Hal Austin!!! Please re read the Article, as far as i have comprehended, they have spoken to ALL involved with NO Positive results.

If they want to, not advising them to, Yes the should report this OBVIOUS FRAUD to the Police.

I an certain that our Judicial must be Modern enough to accept Depositions in Writing, as long as they are signed by a Canadian Lawyer(Law Firm)

BTW!!! no need to think that going to the Media is pulling barbados down, These Fraudlent Fools are doing a great job of that.

one one coco does full basket.
    Losing Tourists one Couple at a time.

56. Mikey February 1, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hal Austin, if you have a problem with POOR REPORTING, well please start a NEWS PAPER, or GO WORK FOR ONE and give Barbadians GOOD REPORTING. A few accolades have gone to your head ??? PLEASE IF YOU CANNOT START SOME GOOD REPORTING, SHUT UP AND LET BARBADIANS UNDERSTAND WHAT IS SAID AND PRINTED WITHIN THE NEWS MEDIA.

Better yet , get a Mason with a “cold chisel” to remove the Chips off your shoulder !!!

57. JOHN TITHERIDGE February 1, 2017 at 1:54 pm

They paid by Credit card so the company will refund

58. Janice Gittens-Forbes February 1, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Down to Brass Tasks at it’s best!

59. George February 1, 2017 at 2:25 pm

The solution is to name names – who is Rival. What are the names of the people with whom the renters dealt with initially? Who are the new players, owners whatever. NAME AND SHAME CAN BE A VERY USEFUL TOOL.

60. peter February 1, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Please do your own investigation and you will see this is not an isolated situation with him.

61. Roger Gibbons February 1, 2017 at 4:53 pm

That crook had intentions of defrauding that couple from the beginning maybe it was done to other people. The mere fact the agent did not informed the owner beforehand that they were renting the condo shows. That could happen to any of us who travel. Hope they get their funds back.

62. Anonymous February 1, 2017 at 9:08 pm

This shall get very interesting in the coming days!!
    Let’s wait and see.

63. Peter webster February 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm

The agent had a problem with the owner and took it out on his (the agent’s) client (tenant). Does anyone realise that this will happen again. and again. Unless something is done about it.

64. North Point February 1, 2017 at 9:52 pm

they SHOULD STOP THE TALKING AND REPORT THE MATTER TO THE POLICE FRAUD SQUAD WITH OUT DELAY, THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED {paper trail} and come back soon and enjoy de place, there are many people in BIM that are willing to put wunnah up at hobby class price, see wunnah at crop over.

65. buck February 2, 2017 at 1:13 am

This kind of things happens all over the globe. However, governments in other countries put in place small claims court to deal with such crime or fraud without getting expensive lawyers involve.

66. Ella February 8, 2017 at 4:32 am

The man who has retained the deposit is known to be crooked.

The scammed tourists are still enjoying Barbados

Rival should be avoided by anyone booking a trip to Barbados

67. Jenn D March 5, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Jan & Cyndi Oster are my Dad and his wife. They retired to Barbados because we used to live there 35 years ago (early 80’s). The agent misrepresented himself and never should have shown the apartment if he had no affiliation with the new owners. He stole $2500 from two retirees on a pension. This is disgraceful and to all of you shaming them for tarnishing Barbados, you have your heads in the sand. They tried to get the money back before contacting the media… The police & judicial system do nothing. The media was their last resort, and they said they will spend more time in Barbados if this gets resolved – did you not read the article fully? They are leaving because there is no resolution and they don’t want to be there anymore. They are living on a tight budget and losing $2500 is a lot of money. They brought it to the media in an attempt to warn others who could be scammed too. Dad & Cyndi, we love you and hope your next adventure is much better than your experience in Barbados. It’s sad, because we all have such fond memories of Barbados from the 80s.