‘I choked her’

Man admits to taking girlfriend's life

A St Philip man has admitted to killing Laurette Diana Skeete almost five years ago, but said he didn’t mean to take her life.

“I was frustrated and fed up,” Anthony Frederick Francis said in a statement to police after he was arrested following Skeete’s death in August 2012.

He pleaded guilty to manslaughter when he appeared before Madam Justice Jacqueline Cornelius recently.

Francis, who was 47 years old at the time, was charged with causing Skeete’s death sometime between August 3 and 4.

Skeete’s body was found by her daughter Sherie Lewis on August 4, 2012 at their Marchfield Close residence, with a cord around the neck.

Senior Crown Counsel Anthony Blackman told the No. 5 Supreme Court that Lewis last saw her mother alive early on August 3.

In the early hours of August 4, she knocked on the door of the house and called out to her mother but got no reply.

Francis later opened the door and Lewis questioned him about her mother’s whereabouts, asking whether she was asleep. Francis replied that Skeete was, and Lewis went to her own bedroom.

Later that day, while still at home, Lewis called her mother’s cell phone but the call went to voicemail and she began worry.

She went into the living room and realized that her mother’s shoes were still at the door.

Lewis then entered her mother’s bedroom and found her body on the floor covered with a bed sheet.

She raised the alarm and neighbours went to her assistance. Police were alerted.

The prosecutor said investigations were conducted and Francis was taken into custody.

“Officer, yes I am responsible. . . . I don’t need a lawyer,” Francis told officers who questioned him.

He then dictated a statement to police detailing what occurred.

“I want to say I is who choke Junnie and I want to say how I did it,” he said.

Skeete said that on August 3, after several interactions with Skeete, he tried to hug her but she kept pushing him away. A quarrel ensued.

“She start to say things that hurt me,” said Francis who revealed in his statement that he then went to the kitchen, took up a cord and went back into the bedroom.

The fight resumed and he tried to hug Skeete again.

“She fight up . . . and I put this cord over she head,” he admitted.

Francis said they continued to struggle and he kept “pulling” on the cord in a bid to “control she” and then “realized she was not moving and she fall down”.

He then went into the kitchen and took some “tablets” that she had in a cupboard and went back into the bedroom but he vomited.

Francis told the police he went to his house the next morning, took a bath and got on a bus to town.

He apologized for causing Skeete’s death, saying: “I was frustrated and fed up.”

Francis said he was not working and Skeete was not taking care of him and the situation was “overbearing”.

“I gave she everything. I feel that she was taking advantage of me. I sorry,” Skeete’s statement continued.

After the facts were presented, the judge ordered a pre-sentencing report and psychiatric evaluation on Francis, who is represented by attorney Philip McWatt.

The matter was then adjourned to March 16.

13 Responses to ‘I choked her’

1. DeAmour Murrell
    DeAmour Murrell January 31, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Wth I now read? 🙁

2. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield February 1, 2017 at 12:08 am

No though ,no .And sorry is all that he can offer

3. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore February 1, 2017 at 12:17 am

But tell me this, how ya is dont mean to kill somebody, I puzzle 🙁

4. Gail Agard Wallace
    Gail Agard Wallace February 1, 2017 at 12:33 am

I guess he was just going to choke her a little. What a nut cake.

5. Lisa De Souza
    Lisa De Souza February 1, 2017 at 12:43 am

So because she hurt his “feelings” he went to get a cord to put around her neck in order to “control her” … No, you don’t play that ish. He meant to do it. #whatdidijustread

6. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor February 1, 2017 at 1:11 am

Wa wunna worrying wunna head bout? He gine spend he time and come back out and get a woman! Nutcase or not seems Bajan women like men dat went prison…. RIP Lauren…. His retribution will be handed down by God!

7. Ejd February 1, 2017 at 7:58 am

I am indeed sorry for both. I can understand the man’s pain. People seem to think that men are made of stone. Once a man is not working and is not in a position to give a woman money, he is kicked to the curb. Some think that only women can be depressed. What he did was wrong but we do not know anything of the man’s mental or psychological strength.

8. Clyde Thompson February 1, 2017 at 8:21 am

Another insane domestic abuse by a man who don’t really care for women and see them as weaker and just want control.
    Let him pay for his action which should life behind bars.
    Maybe he is expecting her resurrection..as oppose to not meaning to kill her

9. kathy-Ann Clarke February 1, 2017 at 8:58 am

He ain’t sincere at all, lock he up and burn the keys.
    This is so sad, sad

10. Roslinda February 1, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Being hurt and frustrated. Trying to control her? How can a cord around her neck control her? I guess he was trying to control her neck not her arms from fighting. But he did not say what he was trying to control. And he is charge with manslaughter? Wow.

11. Nubian Empress February 1, 2017 at 2:28 pm

It takes at least 20mins to half hr to fully choke a person to death
    He had ample time to realize what he was doing and to stop. He was determine to kill her and he knew what he was doing. He knew she was dead, he then covered her with a sheet and said she was asleep and his intent started from the time he went to the kitchen and got the cord. Premeditation does not carry a sorry with it.
    The only thing here that carries merrit is that he confessed upfront, but he’s of sound and stable mind. And should be punished to full hand of the law.

12. North Point February 1, 2017 at 10:00 pm

choke he back as well, put a piece of rope round he neck too, end of story.
    “I gave she everything. I feel that she was taking advantage of me” .
    wait brother man she put a gun to your head and took the items, you gave them freely yuh fool.
    men like you think that material things is all.
    where was the “LOVE”. Hang de SOB.

13. flogiston February 2, 2017 at 8:06 am

Well well well the police in bim get another confession !!!!!!! hear dat ? another confession.