New envoy eager to share Japanese culture with Bajans

New Japanese ambassador to Barbados Teruhiko Shinada says he is eager to present Japanese culture to the citizens of Barbados.

During a courtesy call on Barbados TODAY this morning, he also said he looked forward to greater cooperation in the area of sports, as Tokyo prepares to host the 2020 Olympic games.

Japanese Ambassador to Barbados Teruhiko Shinada presenting a gift to Barbados TODAY’s CEO and Editor-In-Chief Kaymar Jordan during today’s courtesy call.

Shinada, who has already held discussions with Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports, Stephen Lashley and representatives of the Barbados Olympic Committee on the upcoming games, said he was also very focused on promoting cultural exchange.

“By cultural I mean to present Japanese culture to the citizens of Barbados because while Barbados and Japan have very good relations, due to the geographical distance, your citizens do not know very well about Japan.

“Very few people from Barbados visited Japan and vice versa, so I think it is very important to introduce the true picture of Japan through cultural activities, that includes art, traditional habits, also sports. It’s very important and it should be followed by exchange of people, students,” he said.

Tokyo, which already had consulates in Trinidad and Trinidad, formally opened its embassy in Bridgetown last year.

Ambassador Shinada said based on its own experiences, Japan was in a good position to assist the region in tackling issues such as climate change, the environment and disaster management.

“As you know the climate change issue is very important not only globally but also for Caribbean islands.  And of course environment protection, and also disaster management in terms of hurricanes and earthquakes.

“Japan is a country which has been suffering very frequently [from] natural disasters. We have developed many ways to overcome [such disasters], so I think Japan has a lot to offer to CARICOM countries,” he said, while pointing to a US $1M disaster management programme which was signed last year.

During the courtesy visit, the Japanese envoy also shared some of his experiences since arriving in Bridgetown last October.

“I’m still new here but I want to say that I am enjoying [it] very much, people are very friendly, very good food, the climate is very good for swimming,” said Shinada who has made the time to sample the local cuisine and enjoy Barbados’ attractions.

“I’m kind of a gourmet, so I tried the local menu like flying fish cutter. I have experienced for the first time, green bananas,” he said, adding that he also sampled cou cou and flying fish, which is the national dish.

The envoy is also pursuing his passion for sailing.

8 Responses to New envoy eager to share Japanese culture with Bajans

1. Juliet Barnes
    Juliet Barnes January 20, 2017 at 9:20 am

Omg bajan living in Canada. Go to Japan 3x a month. Wonderful clean polite hospitable courteous oh a Did i mention WONDERFUL CLEAN POLITE COURTEOUS AND HONEST YES I KNEW I FORGOT ONE.PEOPLE

2. Alex Alleyne January 20, 2017 at 11:35 am

With almost all of the automobiles on the road in BIM and the need of serious road repairs , I think its fitting to get some $$$$$ out of this visit from Japan.

3. Alex Alleyne January 20, 2017 at 11:46 am

To name some of the automobiles from JAPAN that covered the streets of BIM
    TOYOTA, HONDA , NISSAN , SUBARU ,MADZA , MITSUBISHI , SUZUKI. How much US$ flow from BIM to JAPAN for imports.?. What do BIM export to Japan that worth a fraction of the dollars going out.

4. seagul January 20, 2017 at 2:38 pm

More potholes the more new Japanese imports–he knows this with courtesy…..

5. J. Payne January 21, 2017 at 6:56 am

Funny that some on here would essentially say “Hey Japan, do you have any money?” rather than “Hey, leader from Japan. How can we get some Japanese companies to open local business and industry in Barbados and get Barbadian people up and building a more resilient nation like yours?” No inquiry on seeing if all these regional Japanese cars can be built / rebuilt in Barbados at a local factory or opening a large service center in Barbados for the rest of the region, or how Japanese can maybe help with Wave-Energy projects. Nothing so? THAT is what an Ambassador wants to hear. Not, can you give me your money like if they come to Mr. borrowing’s son.

6. J. Payne January 21, 2017 at 7:00 am

[I hit enter too fast.]
    None the less, welcome Mr Teruhiko Shinada. I hope you enjoy your stay.
    P.S. Any interest in Japanese banks or Wireless/Mobile/Cable companies launching a brand from Barbados and expanding regionally?? Perhaps like a Softbank (who owns Sprint) or the like?

7. Hal Austin January 23, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I hope the editor is not thinking of accepting a free trip to Japan. The offer will come as night follows day.
    In some countries this is called corruption.

8. Anonymus February 20, 2017 at 9:10 pm

He came to my school today and it was a great experience meeting him.