Watch out!

Jones has advice for Inniss on potholes

Maybe they cannot drive very well.

That was the less-than-subtle impression that Minister of Education Ronald Jones gave of motorists who complain of damage to their vehicles as a result of the myriad potholes in the country’s roads.

They would include Jones’ Cabinet colleague Donville Inniss, who earlier this month expressed outrage that a pothole had damaged his car tyre for the second time in quick succession, the first costing him approximately $3,000 in repairs.

Speaking with the media Wednesday afternoon following the signing of an agreement on economic and technical cooperation between Barbados and the Republic of China, Jones said he felt sorry for Inniss and others who suffered damage.

However, Jones said he had never suffered a similar fate because “I drive carefully”.

“I can’t speak about anything with the Minister of Commerce; I can speak about Ronald Jones. I drive on the streets of Barbados and I don’t drive on all pristine roads [and] I have not had a flat.

“I drive carefully on the streets of Barbados. I am not saying he [Inniss] doesn’t because I wasn’t there, but I have not had a flat, I have not had to spend money on tyres or anything like that.

“You will find that there are thousands upon thousands of Barbadians who have not been in this circumstance. I feel sorry for him, I feel sorry for any person whose car has been damaged, but there is a process as well where you write the Chief Technical Officer of the MTW [Ministry of Transport & Works] and you make your verifiable claim,” Jones said.

The minister, known for tackling controversial issues not related to his ministry, argued that the pothole crisis was nothing new, contending that Barbadians were essentially reacting to the inevitable wear and tear caused by road use and heavy rains.

He made reference to a popular calypso about potholes by Red Plastic Bag, stressing it was written during the reign of the Barbados Labour Party, as he insisted that it would not have been prudent to repair the craters while it was raining.

“Sometimes you would find that there is major disturbance to a road particularly when you have a large deluge of rain over a period of time. To me it didn’t make any sense moving in when you saw one pothole and try to fill it in with rain threatening. Wait until you have some major abatement as you are having now and move in with alacrity, deploy your workmen from your various depots as in this instance where we have brought C O Williams on board and one or two others to help with the rehabilitation,” Jones stressed.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart earlier this month caused an uproar when he responded to the public outcry about potholes by saying they were simply one of the inconveniences of life.

During a reception for repeat visitors at his official residence, Stuart downplayed the issue, saying even tourists understood and expected to encounter potholes.

“They don’t behave as though they’ve never seen potholes in the roads in their lives, and they do not behave as though their societies are crime free,” Stuart said at the time.

colvillemounsey@barbadostoday.bb

12 Responses to Watch out!

1. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith January 18, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Look who is speaking on the topic of driving careful,they really taking bajans for fools.

2. Wayne T Griffith
    Wayne T Griffith January 18, 2017 at 11:07 pm

So because you never had a flat it’s everyone else at fault. Ok.

3. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell January 18, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Another Dennis Kellman.Their ministries in disarray yet they always have so much to say relative to other ministries.

4. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell January 18, 2017 at 11:14 pm

And the comedy continues

5. The Negrocrat January 18, 2017 at 11:20 pm

AN ARSE OF GREAT PROPOTIONS.
    This joker continue to talk down to Bajans. The same man who was in independence square shedding tears to get reelected

6. Common Sense January 19, 2017 at 1:39 am

How about getting on with the business of finding solutions to the problem, instead of all the silly talk which doesn’t help anyone.

7. harry turnover January 19, 2017 at 7:17 am

Jones STOP WUKING UP…….the pot holes now are BIGGER LARGER and more NUMEROUS and wunna din gine fix them IF PEOPLE DIN COMPLAIN.
    Jones NUFF people cars went into pot holes but the MAJORITY WERE NOT DAMAGE and YOU know that and I bet you …you is one ah dem.
    Jones I TOO does drive CAREFULLY and my car DROPPED into pot holes NUFF times but so far I HAVE BEEN LUCKY and NUFF people would tell you the SAME thing.
    Jones how many claims were submitted to the Ministry when the Bag sang that song and at this time.
    Jones NUFF people does drive CAREFULLY but still end up DEAD in accidents ..ya IDIOT.

8. Naks January 19, 2017 at 7:34 am

This same minister was in an accident up to last year in Lowlands Junction, Christ Church and pleaded guilty to ‘driving without due care and attention’ but here saying, “I drive carefully on the streets of Barbados”….can someone tell this guy “Shut up!”. His statements are so insensitive and it goes to show him, the Prime Minister and whoever on their side really don’t give two hoots about the people of Barbados on this matter. You ministers need to ‘pull up your socks’ and get your act together.

9. Zeus January 19, 2017 at 8:02 am

BT I love this newspaper …just get a minister say the sky blue and he will be cussed lol

10. Peter January 19, 2017 at 9:23 am

Read through the lines people. The man was not referring to the average Bajab driver, he was referring to Donville Inniss, Implying that Donville cannot lead (drive) this Island. Read and understand what he is saying He said he suffers the same fate (criticisms) because he “drives” (manage his portfolio) carefully. They’re feeling the effects of internal division.

11. Ossie Moore January 19, 2017 at 11:24 am

But Mr Jones dem kindo’ drivers had low numbers pum dum car like T-4 and T-7 , G-1 and G-9! and don’t forget O-4 !

12. Helicopter(8P) January 19, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Jonesy! Dem kind o’ safty conscious drivers had Low numbers. Such like L-1, T-4, T-17, G-3, X-6 and so fourth.