Ex diplomat Glasgow dies

Barbados has lost one of its accomplished sons of the soil.

Former diplomat and Order of the British Empire awardee Earl Glasgow died at 8 a.m. Tuesday after a brief illness. He was 85.

The late Earl Glasgow

Glasgow was Barbados’ Consul General in New York between 1986 and 1994, serving Prime Ministers Errol Barrow and Erskine Sandiford, now Sir Lloyd.

His son Andrew Glasgow told Barbados TODAY that while their father will be missed, the family has had time to prepare for his passing.

“Dad has been ailing since the 7th of December so the family had a little time to adjust to what has happened [yesterday] morning. His sickness was renal failure but we as a family are close-knit and we are rallying around each other.

“So we are prepared for this moment. We recognize his age as well and we are grateful that he exceeded the [biblical] allotment of three scores and ten. We will sorely miss our father; he has been a great provider over the years,” Andrew said.

8 Responses to Ex diplomat Glasgow dies

1. Collin Colliie Chase
    Collin Colliie Chase January 18, 2017 at 10:11 pm

My condolences to the Glasgow family R.I.P.

• Gayle Rudder January 20, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Mr Glasgow was the first Consul General I worked with in NY, some of my fondest memories. RIP Glassie. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

2. F. Andrew Rudder January 19, 2017 at 11:38 am

To the Glasgow family I extend my condolences to Betty, David, Andrew and Mrs Glasgow! I could always count on Mr Glasgow for sound advise. I will always remember those Summer holidays when I would come to Messiah Street to spend time with your neighbors The Speede family and he would be coaching the youngsters on good deportment and manners!

3. Marsha Clarke January 19, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Condolences to the Glasgow family. May your Dad rest in peace.

4. Damien Glasgow January 20, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Rest in paradise grandad u would be truly missed love u ..

5. Pamela Linton-Samuel January 22, 2017 at 3:25 pm

My sincere condolences to the Glasgow family, may he rest in peace.

6. Imogene Holiday-Connor January 23, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Condolences to the Glasgow family. Noel, your family and you especially are in our thoughts and prayers. Sending love from South Carolina.

7. Randolph goddard son of pearson earl bother January 29, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Rest in peace uncle when I came to Barbados in October I phone you but I didn’t know that you was that i’ll or I would of make time to come and see you I remember the last thing you said to me when I told you that I was getting married in Barbados you said not to listen to any one just go ahead and do it sorry I didn’t get to see you me and the wife said rest in peace uncle and merle stay strong