Where’s the justice?

Pilgrim wants equal treament for all

Outspoken attorney-at-law Andrew Pilgrim, QC, today took another swipe at Barbados’ justice system as he made a strong appeal for the dismissal of two serious charges against one of his clients.

Stephen Michael Leroy Stuart, of 11C Rosemont, Deacons Road, St Michael,  is accused of inflicting serious bodily harm on Dereck Jones on July 9, 2016 with intent to maim, disfigure or disable him. He is also facing the indictable charge of using a firearm without a valid licence.

He has been on remand at HMP Dodds since August 3, 2016.

When the matter came up before Magistrate Douglas Frederick today the prosecution requested that the case be adjourned.

However, this did not sit well with Pilgrim who pointed out that the complainant had informed the court that he was no longer interested in proceeding with the matter.

“I could be mistaken, [but could] someone point to me [or] tell me the case that was done in this country of wounding without a complainant. This is a fallacy that we do to lock up people,” Pilgrim charged.

He also pointed out that the second charge was use of a firearm and not possession of the actual weapon.

“In other words “we ain’t got [no] gun.

“So the question then becomes, how are you going to prove that this firearm was used by this man to shoot someone who is saying ‘I am not proceeding against this person [and] not giving any evidence for whatever’?”

He appealed to the magistrate to dismiss the case, while suggesting that it could be relodged by the Director of Public Prosecutions.

“There is no remedy to give back Stephen Stuart the time he up in prison losing the colour off of his face . . . we cannot give him back these days from August to January . . . relodge it please!”

Pilgrim argued that the same should be done in Stuart’s case as had been done in matters involving police officers accused of “shooting people” whose victims had come to the court to have those matters dismissed.

“How do you justify doing it for a police [officer] and not for another person?” Pilgrim asked.

“What kind of person would I be if I sit by and watch a system that says, ‘I will unjustly lock you up in circumstances I know I have no real right or authority so to do’? This is an insult to the intelligence of the Barbadian people and I don’t know why I didn’t make the submissions [before]. It means that I am obviously sleeping on the job too, because I have come to accept these things as normal and reasonable and fair.

“So what is it that we are doing? Anybody please show me the justice in this that will make this seem like the right way to be practising law, running a court, running a prosecution,” he said.

The prominent attorney again asked that the matter be dismissed in order for the prosecution to “soberly reflect on how to do a wounding case without the victim.”

The matter was adjourned until February 8, 2017.

6 Responses to Where’s the justice?

1. Hal Austin January 12, 2017 at 3:08 am

When is officer Gittens going to be put on trial? What is holding up the |Guyana-born DPP from and the registrar from fixing a date?
    When is the Guyana-born DPP going to retire?

2. Sherlock Holmes. January 12, 2017 at 4:41 am

Theatrics by the same actor again,once again another hit for six,Stupesssssssssssss!

3. The Negrocrat January 12, 2017 at 6:43 am

Justice is not for all. Those who think so are fools.

4. Whitehill January 12, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Errol and Tom were attorneys, this fellow now as prime minister is an attorney; in additions, quite a few of the past and present elected political representatives are attorneys. One day the reason for the injustice black Barbadians have been experiencing for decades will be made known.
    The best Errol offered was that black Barbadians should avoid Coleridge street if they were looking for justice, did he fix the problem? He got a statue and a holiday. He even acknowledge at a political meeting on river road near Reddifusion that the policemen who beat the crap out off some accused weren’t the ones to take the written “confession”, thus, when asked if the policeman giving evidence in court were the ones who who beat and squeezed his balls, obviously the answer was no. Errol knew these thing but yet did nothing about it. Tom had I believed two boys lynched in the early ’80s.
    Fruendel, poor fellow, can’t even control his cabinet, can’t even fix the pot holes in the roads.
    I guess we should heed Errol’s advice, stay away from Coleridge st. and White park road.
    By the way, when are you gonna fix the road at White Hill prime minister? I know you’re having challenges with pot holes and White Hill, St. Andrew is much larger, but must you punish the residents indefinitely?

5. jus me January 12, 2017 at 6:17 pm

ALL HAIL HAL,
    Yes yes yes.
    That stink DPP shouda be outed evah since.
    Wunna feel so .
    Speak here .
    GUYANA MAN GET GONE.
    Justice fuh Bajuns by BAJUNS.

6. Greengiant January 12, 2017 at 6:18 pm

White Hill you all have been punishing up the hill for decades. Boy George should have relocated you all and declare up there a farming area, but he hold onto you all to fill the ballot box, so don’t blame Stuartie only.

George had many years support from you guys, yet he left you people deep in the jungle and now picking his vitamin c in Orange hill. As I always say and I notice some commentators here are realizing the only solution is ” get the lawyers out of parliament and back in Coleridge St. And Whitepark Rd. Let them do what they were educated with our tax dollars to do, that’s get the wheels of justice turning clockwise, at the moment it’s going anti-clockwise.