Costly touch

Man must pay $500 for groping woman on street

A Guyanese man learnt a hard lesson Monday when he appeared in court for “grabbling” a woman without her consent.

Parmanand Mickey Lambert, 34, who resides in St Michael pleaded guilty to assaulting Shenelle Walcott on January 8, 2017.

Lambert was apparently enjoying some beers Sunday afternoon at the Caribbean Heat Bar along Tudor Street, The City, when Walcott passed by and caught his eye.

He approached her and grabbed her right hand.

“I admire how you look and I want sex from you,” Lambert reportedly told the young lady.

Walcott, according to police prosecutor Sergeant Rudy Pilgrim, pulled away and the two began to argue.

The matter was reported to the police and Lambert was later detained.

The maintenance man, who has been living in Barbados since 1998, explained to Magistrate Douglas Frederick in the District ‘A’ Criminal Court that he did not know Walcott and had not seen her before Sunday.

“I was drinking a Carib [beer] in the bar and at the same time [I saw her]. I just touch up she right hand and tell she she look sexy, that’s all,” Lambert said.

But Walcott, who attended Monday’s sitting, told the court that Lambert wasn’t telling the whole story.

“He did say so and grabble me on my right hand and I told him let go my hand. I was walking on the street and he get up and grabble me. He say he admire me and he want sex. I tell him go Bush Hill if he want sex and he ask me if I want a beer,” she said.

“I am so sorry that I touched you,” Lambert told Walcott.

However, for his actions, he has to pay the court $500 in compensation by Friday.

If he fails to pay the money in the stipulated time, he will spend one month at HMP Dodds.

12 Responses to Costly touch

1. Lennox hewitt January 9, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Keep ya hands to ya self dis not guyana we got laws here fa everything at least u find out cannot touch people so boy that’s assault good thing battery n put in .

2. Tara Dee Jarvis
    Tara Dee Jarvis January 9, 2017 at 11:48 pm

I’m glad

3. Hal Austin January 10, 2017 at 8:39 am

When we import foreigners we also import their culture. Google Bradford, Oldham, Bethnal Green, Birmingham – all in England – for reports on sexual attacks on young people by men from certain cultures and ethnicities. A leopard does not lose its spots.

• miche January 11, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Why is it,that A white person could come from Tim Buck Too,and be called a Tourist,,,And a dark skinned person from any og our neighbouring islands,, you call Foreigners…..

• miche January 11, 2017 at 11:33 pm

And Mr Austin,,,I think that you meant Change spots,as referring to the leopard…and even in that you would be incorrect,,for the leopard can change his spots,,,,,,,,just think about it…but then again Hal Austin And Think,, seems not be friends

4. Vonetta January 10, 2017 at 9:46 am

I like how they quick to insinuate that this happens in Guyana. Lennox Hewitt, I`m Guyanese born and raised until my late teens and this never happenedat home the men knew to keep their hands to themself, but it did happen here and not by one of my fellow Guyanese but by a Barbadian Born and raised, so next time be careful before you comment as it seems to be a caribbean thing.

5. Helicopter(8P) January 10, 2017 at 10:58 am

Fella don’t be like Arnold and be “Lifting big things and put them down”! You know the T.V commercial with Arnold Schwartznagger!

6. Roger Gibbons January 10, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Admire but do not touch also keep your mouth shut

7. Carol January 10, 2017 at 8:28 pm

@Hal Austin, same applies over here in Guyana. I’m not saying what he did is acceptable, but please don’t try embarrassing Guyanese because of his actions. I am one proud Guyanese although my ancestors ie great grandmother and great grandfather both came from Barbados I would never leave my beloved country to.live in yours.

8. Debera January 10, 2017 at 9:44 pm

What is that dirty remarks all about,this is not Guyana,I have an idiot living right next to that would not let me be,by the way he is not a Guyanese,and I am a married woman,so please read the media more.

9. jacob January 11, 2017 at 6:12 am

Wait wait wait. Hal Austin, if you are going to be racist at least be upfront about honest. Which ethnicities are more likley to rape people? You sound like a Trump supported who uses anecdotal evidence to back up ridiculous racist theory’s. Telling people to look up 5 names to prove a point about a nation of 50 million people? Only to the most fragile of minds is that convincing.

10. Sharon January 11, 2017 at 6:31 am

Guess it’s a bajan and she didn’t get money from him so she lie on him, and what the hell that this is not Guyana? Is barbados even better? Come on we guyanese ho there to help you bajan make Barbados how it is shine some lite.