Corruption lowest under Dems – report

The perception of public sector corruption was at its highest two years before the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) was voted out of office, and was at its lowest under the rule of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP), according to the New York, USA-headquartered Trading Economics, an online platform that provides historical data, forecasts and trading recommendations.

In an analysis of Transparency International’s (TI) Corruption Perceptions Index for 2004 to 2014, Trading Economics indicated that Barbados averaged 73 points out of 100 during that period, with a low of 67 points in 2006 when the BLP was in power, and a high of 78 in 2010, two years after the DLP assumed office.

Trading Economics says it provides “accurate information” for 196 countries and its data is based on official sources.

It said on its website that Barbados Corruption Index was last updated this month. However, Transparency International’s recently released report for 2015 did not include information on Barbados.

“Public sector corruption isn‘t simply about taxpayer money going missing. Broken institutions and corrupt officials fuel inequality and exploitation –– keeping wealth in the hands of an elite few and trapping many more in poverty,” TI said in presenting the index which ranked 168 countries.

“Based on expert opinion from around the world, the Corruption Perceptions Index measures the perceived levels of public sector corruption worldwide. Not one of the 168 countries assessed in the 2015 index gets a perfect score and two-thirds score below 50 . . . . More than six billion people live in a country with a serious corruption problem,” added the organization, which states that its vision is of a world free of corruption.

In the analysis presented by Trading Economics, Barbados fell two points in its international ranking in 2014, down from a score of 76 for its then ranking of 15th in 2012.

It was reported then that Barbados scored higher than the United States of America and no fewer than a dozen European nations including the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Austria, Portugal, Italy and Greece in 2012.

However, by 2014 it had fallen seven points below the United Kingdom and two points under the United States.

The 2015 index lists Denmark as the world’s cleanest country with a score of 91, down a point from last year. Finland, Sweden, New Zealand and the Netherlands round off the top five.

According to TI, the Corruption Perceptions Index “aggregates data from a number of different sources that provide perceptions of business people and country experts of the level of corruption in the public sector”.

It ranks countries and territories based on how corrupt their public sector is perceived to be.

In August last year former Chief Justice Sir David Simmons charged that there was a high level of corruption here, which was being swept under the carpet.

While he did not cite specific examples, Sir David had said there was evidence to suggest a rising incidence of corrupt practices both at the private sector and Government levels, with the business community offering bribes to people in the public sector.

This was supported by the umbrella agency of private sector organizations, which had stopped just short of admitting that some of its members engaged in bribery and corruption.

While making it clear he did not have any evidence that business people were bribing politicians, Chairman of the Barbados Private Sector Association Charles Herbert had stated in any case, if there were an easier way of conducting business here, there would be no need for bribery.

“It is very hard for us to know how much of it [corruption claims] is true. What I would say is, when there is an ease of doing business, bribes go away, because you don’t need a bribe to get something done quickly. The minute there are delays, it opens the door for bribery because there is something to bribe you to do. So we can get rid of it by solving the ease of doing business,” Herbert told Barbados TODAY at the time.

colvillemounsey@barbadostoday.bb

26 Responses to Corruption lowest under Dems – report

1. Tristan John
    Tristan John January 5, 2017 at 12:53 am

*Turns on Notifications*

2. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock January 5, 2017 at 1:26 am

This isn’t telling a true story!

• John Herbert
      John Herbert January 5, 2017 at 6:15 am

Can you prove otherwise?

• Rawle Maycock
      Rawle Maycock January 5, 2017 at 6:32 am

If you read what we all read you should have the very same conclusion!

3. hcalndre January 5, 2017 at 5:15 am

No one goes to jail in Barbados or even goes before the courts accused of corruption so there must be none in Barbados. At one time Barbados and the US had the same rating at about 21 and the US with over 300 million plus in population and Barbados with 275 000, the US could find the accused people guilty and jail them. What is that telling you about Barbados?

4. Sunshine Sunny Shine January 5, 2017 at 5:36 am

Absolute rubbish. Anyone can draw up a few charts after doctoring figures to suit whims and fancies.

The TI index statisticians state that ”… the Corruption Perceptions Index “aggregates data from a number of different sources that provide perceptions of business people and country experts of the level of corruption in the public sector”. What and who are these sources that provided data or say so? This is bare shyte.

• Donild Trimp January 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Sunshine Sunny Shine, did you not read the article.

In the very first paragraph it clearly states who the sources are, here it is: “accurate information for 196 countries and its data is based on official sources”.

I agree with you here: “This is bare shyte”.

Depending on who the “official sources” are, you will get either a subjective view or an objective view, so once again i concur, “This is bare shyte”.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine January 5, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I read the article Donild, and the reference to the official sources is just a laugh and half. That too is bare shyte.

5. Johnathan January 5, 2017 at 6:38 am

The first paragraph is a senseless one and surely is not consistent with the story. What am I missing???

6. Zeus January 5, 2017 at 6:58 am

I can’t believe some of these responses ….when it doom and gloom articles about this administration persons respond with glee sometimes orgasmic now this article is one of unbelief and according to one person bare shyte lol …..others it seem have there own statistics and facts ….why don’t you publish your own articles …..just proves that some people prefer to hear doom and gloom rather than anything positive about Barbados do you truly love this country

• The Negrocrat January 5, 2017 at 9:28 am

It is just that some of us know better.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine January 5, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Tell me who are the official sources that provided the data for this lie. You would got to be a one eye blind sympathiser to think that the index is truly representing what goes on in Barbados. The political class already said they work hard for their money in order to buy certain luxuries on a politician salary. We already have one minister on record throwing his two cents back at the business class for giving them campaign money. Looka you think I give a rats azz about what you are saying. You really do not know the SSS here. I have nothing good to say about none of the Parties until laws are put in place to hold them accountable – LOCK UP LAWS TO BE MORE PRECISE

7. Peter January 5, 2017 at 9:21 am

I, like Johnathan, am somewhat bewildered by the first paragraph. However, in my opinion experience is perhaps the best measure. Under both administrations, I personally have encountered corruptive issues. I think it is well organized and protected. It is often disguised by a contact person within the network. It is most popular within customs though they deny it vehemently. Here’s just one experience. This happened about 12 years ago. I was given a 60 inch LCD television by a relative who was a senior executive at Citicorp Bank. He bought it for USD$ 2250.00 I shipped into Barbados. I was told by the young customs officer at the port that He did not care how much was paid for it, He determined the price. I produced a genuine invoice, and offered to let him use my mobile phone to speak with the actual salesperson at BrandsMart. He refused. Heworked out the duties based on his evaluation which he determined to be BDS$ 10,099.00 He added 40% duty, 1% environment levy, added Freight and Insurance, then added 15% VAT on all that. I descreetly told him to cut the chase, How much does he want? He took my Mobile number and told me to have a seat, he will call me. After about 45 mins. I received a call. ” yeah, Yeah. This is the trucker. My man want $750.00 I told him I’ll have to write him a cheque to which he bluntly refused, demanding cash only. I agreed and went to the ATM in Fontabelle, withdrew the money and paid him. He call the officer and told him I paid up. He asked me for directions to my house. I gave him. He told me to go home and wait. He will deliver the item. I could not believe that when I got home about 30 minutes later, He was there waiting on me. I heard of a customs officer being paid $10,000.00 for a European vehicle he let slip through duty free.

8. The Negrocrat January 5, 2017 at 9:31 am

Peter, that trucker is now delivering for men in high places, including the ministries.
    I don’t know if they mean ministry as in religion, but the ministers are getting filthy rich.

9. Zeus January 5, 2017 at 9:36 am

Peter if that story is true you had all the ingredients for the police to get involved in that matter including the customs officer’s superiors but the slight issue there was that small statement you used “cut to the chase how much you want ” it’s you who started the corruptive action …you were part of the act …you went to the atm withdrew the money …made the phone call …gave the address where you wanted the item delivered ……you had a right to appeal the duties charged to you that day ……again if the story is the truth you took a chance because that customs officer could have accused you of trying to bribe a government officer …..come again man

10. Allison Skeete January 5, 2017 at 9:47 am

Well said Zeus. Well said

11. Leroy January 5, 2017 at 11:52 am

“The perception of public sector corruption”, i only read further because I love reading but this story aint worth the $ for the bits and bytes it took to reach my computer.

12. jrsmith January 5, 2017 at 12:35 pm

The last (AUDIT GENERAL’S ) report , if reprinted by today news just to show bajans how corrupt our politicians are and all the others surrounding them..
    Look at the life style some godly people , also customs officers and lots of others in the public sector, they haven’t won the lottery or have dead relatives leaving them lots of money , but that kind of life style on bajan wages, come on people……

• hcalndre January 6, 2017 at 6:40 am

@jrsmith, What really is mind boggling how can a these persons as you said have not won any lottery nor inherit any wealth can become rich on bajan wages in 5 or 10 years, while other people been working since they left school 40 years and more and don`t have 2 pennies to rub together.

13. Ann Thomas January 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm

This article obviously refers to Barbados in an alternate reality, where the DEMS and BEES have changed places. When i attended Cave Hill Campus there was a first year course Use of English and one of the set books was “How to Lie with Statistics. These people have clearly read that book.

We who live here know better and that is what is important.

14. Helicopter(8P) January 5, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Peter I know you could use a leg o’ lamb after that fiasco!

15. Alex Alleyne January 5, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Corruption is corruption , so if you do admit that there is corruption under both DLP and BLP, then “lock-up-some.people”……then.

16. Peter January 5, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Zeus. That story is very true. I’ve been around too long and am too experienced not to notice when someone in that capacity has something up their sleeve. Yes I asked him what’s the bottom line and he asked me for my Mobile number. He directed me to have a seat and wait which I did, then I received a phone call from someone whom I never my number to, and who claimed to be the truck driver and he was who told me the financial synopsis as was directed by that officer. I know no names. I paid the truck driver the $750 in good and trusting faith. I have a wealthy female friend who told me two customs officers turned up at her well appointed residence in Sandy Lane, to clear her 40 foot container she said had personal effects. they wanted $10K each. She told them to wait while she called a friend who will bring over cash which they wanted. That friend who was the former wife of a Prime Minister turned up. When they saw her, they promptly left. promising to return the next day. Well Zeus, and Allison whom I believe is either a customs officer or is related to one, My friend told me the matter was resolved internally by a very senior official and that was that. Another friend , a Former high court Judge told me he brings in expensive whiskey non request by certain friends in customs. I have at least five other personal experiences. Zeus.

17. Greengiant January 5, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Are some of you too party supportive or affiliated to admit that both parties suffer from the same ailments? I say this constantly in this forum. The fact is there’s evidence of a high level of corruption with both parties in government, all second terms is terrible with contaminated corruption and we shouldn’t deny this.

By the way, for those of you who continuously talk about the Auditor General’s report. Check Mr. Trotman’s report for each year since he assumed that responsibility and even reports from his predecessor. Our ministers and permanent secretary has been mismanaging our taxes for several decades under both parties. If any party supporters or members from either side care to dispute what I’m saying here we can arrange to go to Government printing department on Bay Street together purchase the reports and publish the findings for all to see.

18. North Point January 5, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Corruption lowest, who the hell cares, sin is sin, there is no big and small sin, both takes you to hell. all I want to know is who thieving, call some names, “Gabby” I want to see the “LIST”, don’t wait until election time, now is de elected time, have you ever been stung by a “BEE”. ask “DEM”

• hcalndre January 6, 2017 at 6:52 am

@North Point, you should know that in barbados you don`t have the freedom of speech so when the calypsonians pen a song of that nature for it to be played on the radio stations they have to get the same lawyers to say if it can be aired, so that`s one of the reasons that they get a free ride.