Mum stole to ‘give daughter birthday gifts’

A 50-year-old woman was granted bail today when she appeared in court on two theft charges.

Juliette Patricia Merritt, of Upper Carters Gap, Christ Church pleaded guilty to stealing two portable phone chargers worth $86.99 and a $153.99 pen belonging to Duty Free Caribbean (Holdings) Limited on January 2.

She also admitted to stealing two gift bags worth $9.98, a pocket dairy worth $14.99, and a handbag charm worth $34.99, belonging to the same company.

The court heard from the prosecutor that Merritt was observed by a staff member carrying a company bag. The alarm was activated as she was about to leave the establishment and that led to a probe by a senior sales assistant and a security officer and the items were found. Merritt was asked to produce a receipt for the pen and chargers but she was unable to do so.

Sergeant Neville Reid said investigations at the Massy Supermarket in Worthing, Christ Church, at Pages Bookstore which is owned by Duty Free Caribbean revealed that the items had not been sold but were in Merritt’s possession.

Addressing Magistrate Douglas Frederick in court this afternoon, Merritt said: “I made a horrible mistake. . . It’s been hard [for] me since returning to Barbados [from the United States].”

The magistrate then asked her why steal trinkets that “you could pick up for $1.99 or 99 cents in the States?”

Merritt responded: “It was wrong, but as a mom I wanted to give my daughter who is celebrating her 21st birthday [something]. . . I am remorseful for what I have done.”

The magistrate then informed Merritt, who was scheduled to travel on January 7, to surrender her passport and to report to the Probation Department.

She was released on $1,500 bail, which she secured with one surety and will return to court on January 13.

111 Responses to Mum stole to ‘give daughter birthday gifts’

1. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt January 4, 2017 at 5:04 am

Sad

2. Kim Gaskin
    Kim Gaskin January 4, 2017 at 5:19 am

Woman…. this is very disappoint n.

3. Liz Richards
    Liz Richards January 4, 2017 at 5:26 am

That’s why these European Holidays need you be banned. They have made ppl lose their damn minds trying to fit into a culture that has nothing to do with them……Maybe she should blame it on Santa like how Mary blame it on the Ghost
    ……

4. Carol Jones
    Carol Jones January 4, 2017 at 5:41 am

She ah crazy fool

5. Bryan Mayers
    Bryan Mayers January 4, 2017 at 5:43 am

How dumb can one be?

6. Cathy Beda
    Cathy Beda January 4, 2017 at 5:44 am

Theft is theft. It costs the store money when people do these things as alot of products are imported.

7. Delthia Ismael
    Delthia Ismael January 4, 2017 at 5:55 am

Nothing’s Sad She Should Know Better……#Disappointing

8. Koko Skinner
    Koko Skinner January 4, 2017 at 6:02 am

Blessings all she had to do is to explain to the child why she can’t have a gift. The politicians were giving out gifts the churches were and other Organizations, to PROUD TO BEG YOU ARE SHAME BY STEALING.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith January 4, 2017 at 6:32 am

The child is a 21 year old woman,please.

• Tessa Stuart
      Tessa Stuart January 4, 2017 at 7:23 am

Took the words out my mouth Michelle Griffith

• Pat BB
      Pat BB January 4, 2017 at 9:52 am

What child what, she stole for a big woman, that is the kinda example she set for her daughter, so does this mean she will follow her mother?? If she want something she can’t afford she gine thief too?? Damn foolishness

• miche January 4, 2017 at 8:21 pm

The child,,as she put her,,was being used here as a sympathy card…A get out of jail free card,,,,all the years spent in uh mur ker ,in all she cud bring hey is she thiefin skills,,,Douglas should have given her a GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL CARD,,,DO NOT PASS GO,DO NOT COLLECT BAIL

• miche January 4, 2017 at 8:10 pm

The child,,as she put her,,was being used here as a sympathy card

9. Tessa Stuart
    Tessa Stuart January 4, 2017 at 6:03 am

Things hard with me too that live here alone, but does that mean I should go on a stealing spree? Stupseeeee. Nothing sad about this, it’s just plain foolish!

• Angel Maria
      Angel Maria January 4, 2017 at 6:10 am

If my kids were hungry, I don’t know what I would do to feed them. Probably anything, but definitely not to buy them gifts. A gift is a want, not a need.

• Tessa Stuart
      Tessa Stuart January 4, 2017 at 6:11 am

If my children hungry I ain’t stealing, birthdays come and sometimes I don’t give them anything and they understand, and they way younger than 21.

• Doreen Waithe
      Doreen Waithe January 4, 2017 at 6:23 am

U no a soon or later that same child would steal

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke January 4, 2017 at 6:56 am

If with you Tessa 100%. I lost my leg when my children were still in school . What little I got went towards meals n school supplies . They understood that they were the gifts . None ain’t hate me for it . In fact I was told once I spend time with them they happy . We need to stop making excuses for these dishonest ppl out there . Steal to buy gifts my ass

• Ras Baracca Ellison
      Ras Baracca Ellison January 4, 2017 at 10:41 am

Bible reference? about that

• Carmela Charles
      Carmela Charles January 4, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Lame excuse.

• Veroniva Boyce
      Veroniva Boyce January 4, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Tessa Stuart , Exactly!

10. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks January 4, 2017 at 6:15 am

She is just a damn thief, it’s just that she get caught now, she should be still sitting in jail, i am sorry,

11. Nisha Griffith
    Nisha Griffith January 4, 2017 at 6:17 am

Wow nothing she could of do things hard out there may be the child’s father wasnt there for the child so she did her best.well if it was me and that’s my mother I would had cry my eyes out .

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith January 4, 2017 at 6:30 am

The child as you said is a 21 year old woman,most times I can’t afford to give my daughter birthday gifts but I don’t steal.
      Here we go again another mother doing something stupid.

• Angel Blossoms
      Angel Blossoms January 4, 2017 at 6:48 am

What child are you talking about she’s 21 old enough to understand . SHE was planning to travel so she would get gifts there cheaper.

• Tessa Stuart
      Tessa Stuart January 4, 2017 at 7:26 am

I would cry my eyes out in shame! That’s not no example to set so don’t make no excuses.

• harry turnover January 4, 2017 at 8:40 am

What child father you now want to bring in? the child father din TEEF anything…the CHILD MUDDA is he one who TEEF…and furthermore if you did understand what you read,you would have realized that the child is TWENTY ONE years old that the MUDDA went TEEFING for…SO SHE SAID…BUT I doan believe she one bit.
      …..and I don’t believe that she began TEEFING at age 50 either.
      How do you know that the father wasn’t there for the 18 years that he was LEGALLY bonded to do ?
      Far from crying my eyes out in SYMPATHY for her,I would be crying that my own mother was about to give me STOLEN items as my BIRTHDAY gift.

12. Drey Fredericks
    Drey Fredericks January 4, 2017 at 6:34 am

Lol….thank God it’s a fruit of their own soil and not one from Guyana….lol..such a shame

13. Araya Sunshine
    Araya Sunshine January 4, 2017 at 6:37 am

Seems like she’s a habitual thief. Just got caught this time. 21 year old though ?? SMH.

14. Valarie Saunders
    Valarie Saunders January 4, 2017 at 6:38 am

Who says we always have to give material things,what about two of them spending quality time together. Could be at the beach,a park ,ect

15. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett January 4, 2017 at 6:38 am

Maybe she is a share holder,she took what she wanted lol

16. Angel Blossoms
    Angel Blossoms January 4, 2017 at 6:51 am

My daughter’s 37th birthday was yesterday I give her love something we can’t buy with money. Foolish woman the daughter is 21 years old not 2 . Times are hard on most of us doesn’t mean one should go out and steal.

• Richelle Bourne
      Richelle Bourne January 4, 2017 at 7:09 am

I agree with you.

• Pat BB
      Pat BB January 4, 2017 at 9:46 am

Exactly my point, these women real damn ignorant,
      D day I can’t give my children a gift, I does bake some sorta cake and they r satisfied….
      Some a these women so damnwell ridiculous yuh

17. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore January 4, 2017 at 6:54 am

So things are hard yet you have a ticket to travel, why not buy a gift for her in the U.S.? Smh

18. Sabrina Brathwaite
    Sabrina Brathwaite January 4, 2017 at 6:54 am

I went to comment and say this is sad, then I read and see, she stealing for her daughter that is 21. Man wtf I hearing.

• Claire Battershield
      Claire Battershield January 4, 2017 at 9:08 am

Alright then .Wanna live beyond their means .Guess if I stole those things I would not have to spend what I have

• Pat BB
      Pat BB January 4, 2017 at 9:54 am

21….that is down right ridiculous

• Sabrina Brathwaite
      Sabrina Brathwaite January 4, 2017 at 10:16 am

Yes it is. But you know, some children are spoilt. She probably had hers spoilt

• Pat BB
      Pat BB January 4, 2017 at 10:20 am

Yes one of these idiots that can’t tell their children no..
      Her ignorant backside still ain’t no wiser coz I’m sure the daughter feels worse now than if she didn’t get a gift

• Sabrina Brathwaite
      Sabrina Brathwaite January 4, 2017 at 10:21 am

True

19. Lennox hewitt January 4, 2017 at 6:59 am

So she cannot give she child gift without stealling gift but she got travelling money may be over 2000 us dollars if things hard u dont travell she barely lieing all happen she now get catch may be she accustom to do those things .

20. Hazelanne Lewis January 4, 2017 at 7:04 am

I can understand if when a person has children and no job. And then may resort to steaing food. But to come from the States and decide to steal good for a big crusty 21 year old. Who in truth if there is going to be any gift given. Its the daughter that should be giving the mother a gift . Doesnt make any sense.

21. Hazelanne Lewis
    Hazelanne Lewis January 4, 2017 at 7:08 am

At 21 years old you are not a child. Why attempt to steal presents for an adult.

22. Richelle Bourne
    Richelle Bourne January 4, 2017 at 7:19 am

I won’t point fingers at her but what she did is wrong and I believe she did what some people on Fb does only thing is she get caught. The problem is most people make children believe Christmas and birthdays are all about what you get, why not teach the child about the gift of love and appreciation. If she had taught that child those things the girl would know and understand when mummy say I can’t afford to by a gift. We give children gifts all through the year just that the are unwrapped. When you by a school supplies, shoes, clothes, technology during the year, what makes it different at Christmas or birthday time besides the $1. Sheet of paper you pay extra to wrap it in? Well I guess she learnt her lesson and others that read this would learn to stay to hell home out the people store when they don’t have money.

• Bella Deon
      Bella Deon January 4, 2017 at 8:20 am

I totally agree with you, I would shake your big toe for this comment!

• Mazie Taylor
      Mazie Taylor January 4, 2017 at 12:51 pm
  23. Divina Mitchell
    Divina Mitchell January 4, 2017 at 7:30 am

Mom I feel for you.but ur a foolish stupid thief.look what a shame you bought on yourself families relatives and friends of you and your daughter.woman the part that got me offset with you.is you looks intelligent and well kept and td person.you also travel.why can’t your daughter wait until you return from your trip to get whatever god gave you to give her for her birthday. Why would you go to such level.sometimes u got to make do.why would someone love a child so dearly as to take such drastic measure.we as mothers father’s got to teach our kids to accept us even when we don’t got $$$ gifts etc.and love us for who we are.i got 1 child she’s 10. And I’m a bajan by birth . However I teaches her each day when it dey it dey.when it ent dey do with what we have.my 40th birthday was September and I spent it marvelous.i hadn’t no $$.things didn’t work out how I had planned.i look up in my fridge find a half of duck and stewed it up in some curry with lentils rice and give God thanks and praises tb alive.it wasn’t my last day in the world . We human beings allows material things to get to us too much . rather than focus on if we gine live to see another day.this is that most stupid woman I ever read about in Barbados.and everyone got a right tb angry with you sister. You disgraced us.you gone too far.just for a birthday. You could’ve have begged a man or someone for a $20 or $30 and buy sain cheap and nice for that so special occasion that cost you to be so embrassed in front of the whole world.as one of my famous artist mr tarrus riley sang .don’t let materials things get me jumpy.some peoples is allowed their kids to control their minds body and soul.so wait if you had told your daughter you cannot afford her a birthday gift.what would have happened.that pushed you to steal sain to give to her.wow , well , well.

24. Browne-love Jan
    Browne-love Jan January 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

She has a gift….LIFE!!!

25. Timothy St Pierre
    Timothy St Pierre January 4, 2017 at 7:39 am

stick to the script

26. Timothy St Pierre
    Timothy St Pierre January 4, 2017 at 7:41 am

so many judges

27. Aquilla E French
    Aquilla E French January 4, 2017 at 7:49 am

Really lady, if you don’t have you don’t go steal.

28. harry turnover January 4, 2017 at 7:59 am

You mean to tell me that a big hard back woman who was SCHEDULED TO RETURN to the STATES stealing petty items for a BIG 21 year old CHILD ? and then got the gall to say things were hard since returning to Barbados and that cause she to TEEF ?…you teefing things to give to a 21 year CHILD ?…shows you just doan care about that child…you were about to give YOUR CHILD STOLEN ITEMS as a birthday gift.
    Wonder though why she must report to the Probation Department and return to Court when she could have been FINED forthwith ..which no doubt would have been paid and would of course be more than the total of the items she TEEF

29. Icenie Joseph
    Icenie Joseph January 4, 2017 at 8:27 am

no matter what you give SOME of them its never enough give them love from early it dont cost a cent and everything will fall in place

30. kathy-Ann Clarke January 4, 2017 at 8:28 am

Stupid reason she gave, sounds so silly.

31. David Wyndoze
    David Wyndoze January 4, 2017 at 8:32 am

Emotions over logic?

I see it all the time!

32. Georgia Gittens
    Georgia Gittens January 4, 2017 at 8:37 am

I’ll never judge u,I feel your pain, but u know what my son didn’t have many birthday or Xmas gift, I explained to him y but we talk a lot about not watching what other children have ,but getting the best education.

33. Michele Antoinette
    Michele Antoinette January 4, 2017 at 8:42 am

No justification, no excuses. She is a thief plain and simple. She just got caught. No lot of long talk.

34. harry turnover January 4, 2017 at 8:48 am

Should have read….” Legally binded to do…..”

35. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield January 4, 2017 at 8:52 am

21 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ?No , she gave her life , she has reached thus far what more does she have to give her ?Cook a special meal or go out and done with that .

36. Sheryl Smith
    Sheryl Smith January 4, 2017 at 8:53 am

What is wrong with telling your child I can’t afford it now?

37. Vashti Brathwaite
    Vashti Brathwaite January 4, 2017 at 8:55 am

I am a tad baffled she said things were hard since returning from the USA , am I to assume that she was deported ? No one opts to return from the USA if they have a choice #justsaying

38. Juan Dottin
    Juan Dottin January 4, 2017 at 8:56 am

Sigh, christmas is not about physical gifts. It’s about the GIFT, now what examples are you setting for your daughter. Step up parents.

• Lisa Iniesta
      Lisa Iniesta January 4, 2017 at 10:30 am

Yall hate to read *sigh*

• Juan Dottin
      Juan Dottin January 4, 2017 at 11:42 am

Sorry Lisa my bad was reading the comments and just respond to it. Now read the article, it was a b’day gift. So sorry that i mislead someone.

39. Joan E Small
    Joan E Small January 4, 2017 at 9:03 am

This is minor!! Talk about more important stuff ! She will take care of that!! The pot holes in the streets! The daily shootings!! The deplorable infrastructure! So quick to judge another Sister!! Should never be on Facebook!

40. Hazel Leacock
    Hazel Leacock January 4, 2017 at 9:04 am

Thou shall not steal . Be happy with what you have .

41. Eve Watts
    Eve Watts January 4, 2017 at 9:16 am

This time she in even do it for her daughter . But because it so happen dat her daughter birthday was that day she use her daughter as a pawn . Guess her daughter mussy feel bad . This may be not de first time she been doing it but get catch now . 21 ???

42. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner January 4, 2017 at 9:16 am

Ok but her daughter is 21 not 12 can she not look after herself this is very interesting.

43. Andrew Headley
    Andrew Headley January 4, 2017 at 9:40 am

Adults in this day and age making excuses for doing the absolute wrong thing and they say we going forward?????

44. Pat BB
    Pat BB January 4, 2017 at 9:42 am

Y ppl don’t make their children understand how life is and that they can’t always get everything they want?? She prefer to steal to make her children feel good, reality check idiot, ur child feel worse now than if they didn’t get that gift….

We need a degree for every blasted thing else except Parenting….sickening is hell.

45. Margaret Lorde
    Margaret Lorde January 4, 2017 at 9:42 am

I’m sure that her daughter would be more upset having her before the court than to wait on a gift, she’s an adult she’ll get over it if her mother didn’t give her something material which is worth nothing really. Poor life choices have tough consequences.

46. Kerry January 4, 2017 at 9:54 am

That sounds like an excuse so she can get a little mercy from the judge. That is just what I think.

47. Oats Walton
    Oats Walton January 4, 2017 at 9:59 am

Sad at 50 yrs old and Travelling on the 7th January . Woman u head either trip or u plain lawless. This is sad. Travel and buy something for the child.at 21 yes that child understands and knows life she is a young adult not 2 yrs old . Pray and let God guide u through the year. We all make mistakes no one is perfect.

48. BaJan boy January 4, 2017 at 10:11 am

Funny how all of these comments against this lady and it does not in any way affect any of us. Had this been Chris Sinckler or Freundel Stuart imposing another tax little would have been said. Bajans fuh yuh boy….

49. Marline Goodridge
    Marline Goodridge January 4, 2017 at 10:25 am

You think I didn’t steal to give my children milk and pampers when I was in my teens and I gine and do it in my middle age HELL NO

50. Pbdos Ciana Price
    Pbdos Ciana Price January 4, 2017 at 10:27 am

First of all, some the items don’t even seem like gift items, 2 not 1 portable chargers, a pen worth $150.00. This is something she does all the time. Just got caught this time around. Yet she has money to travel and who came up with the $1500. bail?

• Carmela Charles
      Carmela Charles January 4, 2017 at 1:10 pm

She wanted them to either sell or keep for herself. Remember the Canadian girl last year stole similar items and it was not the first time.

51. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore January 4, 2017 at 10:28 am

Why not just wrap a breadfruit an give her:)

52. Taurus Bull
    Taurus Bull January 4, 2017 at 10:36 am

What gift what, if things hard your daughter would appreciate a nice cook meal than your face in the papers looking like a lost sheep.

53. Allison Miller-coombes
    Allison Miller-coombes January 4, 2017 at 10:38 am

Children have to learn the when u can give there have to do with out

54. Allison Miller-coombes
    Allison Miller-coombes January 4, 2017 at 10:38 am

Stealing is not the answer

55. Tessa Trotman
    Tessa Trotman January 4, 2017 at 11:10 am

21 is an adult doe bag trinkit u take up a bunch a crap u want jail for being ughh

56. Sybil Marshall
    Sybil Marshall January 4, 2017 at 11:19 am

Foolish thief! I could understand stealing food or a bed or gas or a house etc

57. Ann Szebenyi
    Ann Szebenyi January 4, 2017 at 11:23 am

These are expensive items, probably not the first time…

58. Ailse Ogazi
    Ailse Ogazi January 4, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Can parents stop trying to buy their child’s love. Love is something you can never buy it’s a feeling so significant smdh stealing is in the 10 commandments so what are you going to say to God “oh my daughters birthday came around” plzzzzz pull the other one lady

59. Glenn Carlo Theopholus Watson
    Glenn Carlo Theopholus Watson January 4, 2017 at 12:12 pm

…A pocket DAIRY????

60. Pamela Jones
    Pamela Jones January 4, 2017 at 12:29 pm

She already have the gift of life if u had to steal to feed her I would understand where is your love this is downright selfish on your part

61. Carla Yard
    Carla Yard January 4, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Now really then parents drill to us about the Bible thou shall not steal

62. Maria Paul
    Maria Paul January 4, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Could she not buy something when she traveled?ticket Money dead now

63. Jennifer Yarde
    Jennifer Yarde January 4, 2017 at 12:53 pm

So sad

64. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce January 4, 2017 at 1:18 pm

What an IDIOT! She ain’t got no Pride. A roof over the child head, food for the stomach, clothing and all the love and care I can splash on thee. All she had to do is explain she’s unable to give a birthday present. Buy a 21st Birthday Card or write her a poem or even give her a piece of her jewellery. It’s the thoughts that count. Her daughter is old enough to understand that her mum butt up on hard times.
    Unless mum trade is shoplifting, I keep telling people that live abroad BIM is not a soft touch. Forget it! otherwise wunna checking in at Hotel Dodds.

65. Jackie Griffith
    Jackie Griffith January 4, 2017 at 1:21 pm

The man who stole the shirts worth way more than that got a slap on the wrist. How biased is the system?

66. Shirley Simpson
    Shirley Simpson January 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm

What is she teaching her daughter.. smh

67. Adelia de Silvia
    Adelia de Silvia January 4, 2017 at 1:59 pm

This woman is a crook.

68. Allison Miller-coombes
    Allison Miller-coombes January 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm

She was traveling she could have waited

69. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba January 4, 2017 at 3:25 pm

POOR, VERY POOR, LADY WHAT WERE U THINKING? AS THE OLD PEOPLE SAYING YA WANT LICKS

70. Esther Parsons Rhynd
    Esther Parsons Rhynd January 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm

birthdays comes once a year ,I never had a birthday gift I had food ,give her some love that’s free.no jail time put you to work cleaning the streets of bdos.

71. Sandra jones January 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Just read this to my Daughter and we were both in agreement without I even prompting her that a simple Happy Birthday would have to be enough for her if I did not have the money to buy her a gift. Parents need to communicate with their children, don’t assume that material gifts is what going to make a child happy unless you bring up the child that way, it comes down to parenting, I have an only child and she gets only what I can afford to give and when I can’t I tell her why, I am not going to steal so she can be happy or in this case embarrassed.

72. Observer January 4, 2017 at 8:04 pm

What a dumb thief that’s the best you can do as a dumb thief you have just made a complete fool of yourself i really hope you take a look in a mirror and what a dummy u r,they shouldn’t even let you back in the for being dumb

73. Taleta Seales January 5, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Cud dear this time de poor daughter ain’t know a thing bout nah birthday gift. Just the mother’s excuse cause she get ketch.

74. EP January 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm

my response is a little different. I believe that she has a problem and maybe a cleptomaniac. she may have been stealng for years and only now got caught. the reaponse she was stealing for her daughter does not make sense. She has a passoort and a visa which suggests she prob has a job or had a good one…. she also has a ticket to travek and perhaps got spending money… A gift gor her daughter she would easily get overseas… So please while we may see it as stupid and dishonest it may actually be a condition that she cannot help herself from doing….