Showers dampen holiday

Persistent showers this morning seem to have dampened the mood for the outdoors today.

The scores of families and church groups which customarily flock to the popular picnic spots, were noticeably absent today.

“We planned a family lunch today but it seems like the rain cause a lot of the family to stay home. But we are enjoying ourselves because the sun came out brilliantly later and the place is just cool and nice for the few family members that came,” said one gentleman, who was part of a contingent of seven, picnicking at Three Houses Park, St Philip.

However, while others felt that the early rains may have played a part in keeping people home, they also expressed the view that most would have already exerted themselves at their various New Year’s Day family luncheons on Sunday and were now taking the opportunity to rest before the work week begins tomorrow.

“Our church picnic [at Farley Hill National Park, St. Peter] did not have the numbers we had hoped for and a lot of our members had indicated that they expected to be all tapped out from activities the day before. So, I wasn’t surprised but we were hoping that more would have come nonetheless,” said David Birch of Youth for Christ Academy in Bank Hall, St Michael.

While the picnic spots were largely vacant, the beaches had a hive of activity as both tourists and locals were busy frolicking in the surf or lounging on the shores. (CM)

9 Responses to Showers dampen holiday

1. steel donkey January 2, 2017 at 4:52 pm

May be they are broke??

2. One love January 2, 2017 at 7:28 pm

PARKS AND BEACHES ARE STILL FREE IN BARBADOS. MAYBE VERY TIRED; THEY DESERVE TO REST, THAT IS WHAT I’M DOING

3. Peter January 2, 2017 at 8:29 pm

God is a good, loving God. For he so love the world, that he sends earthquakes, tornados, volcanos tsunamis, hurricane, floods, landslides, oh I can go on. These “acts of God” as insurance companies say they are, takes out tens of thousands each year and some people call it cleansing. The good, the bad, the religious, the innocent, the children, All, every one gets taken. Besides, “God knows best” I would like an explanation. I am not being facetious.

4. steel donkey January 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm

@Peter – Just stay on that narrow path of obedience and you won’t get taken out.

• Peter January 3, 2017 at 8:28 am

I really hate to refer to you as steel donkey because a jackass I think you are not. Anyhow God can take me out any time he (or she) desires. I have no say on that. I follow three basic principles. BROTHERLY LOVE, – love for all, RELIEF – a Form of charity, and TRUTH – honesty and sincerity. Thank you for your kind advice.

5. F.A.Rudder January 3, 2017 at 10:17 am

We are very glad to hear that our island has been receiving showers of blessings for the New Year! As you homelanders know we desperately needed these showers for our farmers and individual households due to low water levels in our artesian lakes. We would hope that this new year would bring us a more precipitated weather pattern with a normal rain-fall distribution! We wish those surfers out on the East Coast some competitive white caps and safe competition. Good Luck and a Happy New Year one and all!

6. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley January 3, 2017 at 12:46 pm

and cold, and fog !!

7. MIIB January 3, 2017 at 1:15 pm

So tornados, hurricanes, floods and landslides etc are acts of God? Seems someone was sleeping in geography?

Smh

• Peter January 3, 2017 at 7:33 pm

MIB Those disasters mentioned are considered Acts of God by INSURANCE COMPANIES. I have “A” level Geography. I think I can teach you Geography.