St Joseph demolished

St George North beat St Joseph 5-0, compliments a brace from striker Terrell Hinds, when the two sides met this evening at the Market Hill Ground.

The National Sports Council/ Youth Development Programme Community Under-17 match actually became exciting a minute before the break when, St George North pressuring the St Joseph defence, had several attempts at goal. Akeil Selman’s shot was finally powerful enough to get pass the opposition custodian and shake the nets.

St Joseph’s most experienced player Jamon Phillips played well but could not affect the result, as his team still went down to a strong St George North.

St George North were not satisfied and added another goal just seconds before half time in the 30th when Hinds shot off his right foot from a very tight angle to give his side a 2-0 advantage.

It seemed St Joseph defenders, led by the ‘big fella’Almonte McConney, did not learn from their earlier mistakes, allowing St George North too much room on the flanks. 

A perfect example was Jalani Callender, who controlling a pass from the left flank, progressed inside the 18-yard box to bury it comfortably in the 34th.

St Joseph defenders were under lots of pressure and two minutes later in the 36th, a reckless tackle by Jamon Phillips earned St George a penalty, taken and scored by Hinds for his second on the evening.

After putting themselves in a good position, St George were down to ten, after Dwayne Cadogan received his second yellow card in the 40th.

That did not affect St George, however, and Jadon Pitt finished it off in style for the home side when he penetrated St Joseph’s defence for an easy tap-in in the dying stages of the game.

In the first game of the day, St Phillip North defeated St Phillip South 2-1 also played at Market Hill.

Maxwell Lewis (centre) scored the first goal for St Phillip South.
(Pictures by Morissa Lindsay)

South, playing in red, took an early lead in the 14th thanks to Maxwell Lewis on the left, dribbling pass two defenders and slotting home.

Those celebrations were short lived as one minute later, North equalized. Shaquan Toppin was given enough space to take an open shot, scoring to the right of diving South goalkeeper, Mikyle Gittens.

The second half was anybody’s for the taking and ten minutes before the game ended, Jakobe Moore decided he would be the one to take it for South.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *