UPDATE: Woman found dead in St Peter home

Police have released the identity of the woman who was found dead in her Mount Brevitor, St Peter home this afternoon. She is 48-year-old Sophia McClean.

Around 12:40 p.m., police received a report from Emergency Medical Technicians who had responded to residents of the area where the body was discovered.

Barbados TODAY understands that lawmen are treating her death as unnatural.

Sophia McClean

Neighbours told Barbados TODAY they were under the impression that McClean, who had a mental history, was visiting her mother for the Christmas holidays.

“I thought that she had gone back up by her mother but we realize now that she was in there. Her son and some relatives came this morning to look for her, they called for her and she would not answer,” one neighbour said.

“They went through the window [and] found the body partially decomposed . . . in her bedroom,” the neighbour said.

She explained that McClean, who lived alone, kept to herself, especially when she was sick.

“My daughter usually goes and checks on her, but [recently] we didn’t get an answer. When she is sick she does not answer . . . when she good, she good but when she getting sick she keeps to herself and she keeps the house shut up,” the neighbour explained.

She also described McClean as “a very friendly person” who was loved by everyone, “so, everyone is shocked to know that she was in there [dead].”

“People started crying” [when they learnt of her death]. “She is not a bad person,” the neighbour added.

16 Responses to UPDATE: Woman found dead in St Peter home

1. Elizabeth Astwood
    Elizabeth Astwood December 27, 2016 at 6:45 pm

R.I.P

2. River Vanderbilt
    River Vanderbilt December 27, 2016 at 6:49 pm

So awful my sincere condolences to her family and friends may she rest in peace.

3. Coreen Lashley
    Coreen Lashley December 27, 2016 at 7:10 pm

May she rest Rest in peace

4. Sandra Mahone
    Sandra Mahone December 27, 2016 at 7:36 pm

this sad news it me like a tone a bricks this is my friend my classmate RIP condolences to the family

5. Rico Hasani Hoyte
    Rico Hasani Hoyte December 27, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Rip

6. Shelly-ann Britton
    Shelly-ann Britton December 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Phil Broomes that’s Sophia that used to work with us…..

7. Sandra Alleyne-Richards
    Sandra Alleyne-Richards December 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Sophia is my neighbor. I am sadden by her death. May she Rest in peace

8. Rosebud December 28, 2016 at 8:00 am

do not know her but hearing the way she died made me cry

9. Yvette Griffith
    Yvette Griffith December 28, 2016 at 9:21 am

RIP Sophia

10. Rupert Greaves December 28, 2016 at 10:17 am

A Funeral Director once said that if a body comes in from overseas it must be accompanied by a Death Certificate which would have stated on it the reason for death. He went on to say that “unnatural death” is not a reason and would not be accepted. Yet I am always reading that the Police are treating someone’s death as unnatural. Who is right?

• Ric December 28, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Rupert its called an unnatural death until the investigation is completed and the determination made as to whether it was by natural causes, suicide, a homicide, etc. The police, et al can only call the death unnatural because its just that until the determination is made usually by the coroner or pathologist and the initial police investigations.

11. Deborah Lashley
    Deborah Lashley December 28, 2016 at 1:15 pm

She is st.L.G.S may her soul R.I.P.

12. North Point December 28, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Rupert I want to enlighten you that the undertaker and the police has two different roles to play when it comes to dead bodies, the undertaker is in it as a business person, and the Police has to investigate all deaths, weather natural, or unnatural, all deaths are treated as unnatural until investigations are completed, then the death would be given its title. some one might report a death of an individual, the police arrives at that residence, view that body to make sure that there are no marks of violence, they might call the Coroner who is a Magistrate and inform her/him of their findings and then a postmortem might be given to the deceased to see the cause of death, and then a certificate of death will then be issued. so Rupert its not a case of who is right or wrong.

13. Alex Alleyne December 28, 2016 at 9:19 pm

What a beautiful smile.
    R.I.P

14. Wendy Phillips December 30, 2016 at 2:17 pm

RIP Sophia my good friend and old scholmate. My deepest condolences to the entire family.

15. Flair Won January 5, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Sophia is my friend. She has always been nice to me…. a really sweet woman.