Walrond to know fate in the New Year

A 27-year-old St Michael man currently on remand on firearm and ammunition charges will know his fate in the New Year.

Sentencing in the case against Travis Alexander Walrond of Block 9B, Bottom Close, Wildey, St Michael was adjourned Tuesday by Madam Justice Jacqueline Cornelius to January 20, 2017.

The decision came after Walrond, who pleaded guilty in November last year to possession of a .38 semi automatic handgun and six rounds of ammunition, apologized in the No.5 Supreme Court.

Reading from an exercise book, the 27-year-old said: “I would like to apologize for my actions . . . . Since my incarceration I have had time to reflect on my behaviour and my life in general . . . I have come to the conclusion that my actions which caused me to appear before this court [were] lawless and irresponsible.

“At this stage I have decided to change my life around and focus on the more positive side to life. I am sorry for the event on the 24th of February 2014 which is [a] result of my behaviour and actions.”

After his lawyer Andrew Pilgrim, QC, addressed the court, Senior Crown Counsel Krystal Delaney recalled that Walrond was found in a nightclub in St Joseph in the possession of the illegal weapon and ammunition.

When he was being searched by police officers he tried to run away; tried to resist and had to be physically subdued by lawmen, Delaney reminded the court.

She said there were no mitigating factors in Walrond’s case apart from his early guilty plea as he was found in a public place with the weapon.

Pointing to the presentencing report she stated that Walrond admitted he was in possession of the firearm to protect himself “in the event that he was threatened while at the gathering”.

The prosecutor recommended a sentence of four to six years for each count.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *