Drop in applications for school reallocation

There has been a steep drop in the number of applications for secondary school reallocation received by the Ministry of Education following the Barbados Secondary Schools’ Entrance Examination, commonly referred to as the Common Entrance Examination.

According to Minister of Education Ronald Jones, the figure has been reduced from approximately 900 applications in 2008, to no more than 70 at present.

“We have gotten down now to very, very good numbers. There are about 60 or 70 who come, but when I first came to the ministry it used to be 900 persons seeking reallocation. I always wondered if person made mistakes in their choice in the zone or out of zone,” Jones revealed during the recent Speech Day and prize giving ceremony at The St Michael School.

Jones attributed the decrease to parents having a better understanding of how the allocation process works and the ministry’s firm approach to dealing with the issue in the initial stages of his tenure.

“I don’t have any duty in allocating anything; it is all done technologically based on parental choice. I do not intervene in the process of allocation, I might intervene in the process of reallocation and every year I therefore said when we were speaking to the media that there would not be any reallocations.

“I came to the conclusion that parents [at the time] did not understand essentially what they were doing in the choice,” he said.

The minister explained that the cut-off varied from year to year based on the students’ performance in a particular year, meaning if the overall performance in a given year was exceptional, the cut-off mark would be higher.    

However, he said, parents acted on
the belief that the entry marks for the considered top schools remained static over the years.

“Some will say to me ‘but my child got the mark to go to St Michael, Queen’s College or Combermere’. Yes, but you would only know the cut-off base when the results are returned. So it doesn’t work like that at all,” stressed Jones, who noted that sometimes exceptions were made if space was available.

7 Responses to Drop in applications for school reallocation

  1. Macmood Tata
    Macmood Tata December 15, 2016 at 5:16 am

    We want Jones n wuk up relocated as well. Just out of government

    Reply
  2. Jennifer December 15, 2016 at 7:14 am

    I am sure there are ways around going to a particular school if you knew the right person – (only in BIM). The truth is that this problem would not exist if schools were standardized and the Common entrance removed. But people like it this way i guess. And the thing is that this system will produce the same master or slave end results for all attendees.

    Reply
  3. Zabeeda Abdool
    Zabeeda Abdool December 15, 2016 at 7:37 am

    Really….these children are the future of barbados….

    Reply
  4. Realist December 15, 2016 at 8:06 am

    Help me, who is Jones n wuk up? You mean Jones in his old age likes to wuk up that much? Well if that is the case, he sure is wuking up more than he works.

    Reply
  5. Bonita Weekes
    Bonita Weekes December 15, 2016 at 8:56 am

    Since there is a drop in applications , why is it that a person who has been waiting since last year to get her child reallocated because of a problem cannot get a reply from the Ministry of Education.

    Reply
  6. Mr Non Education December 16, 2016 at 6:49 am

    This man made a rambling, in-coherent and political speech at St. Michael’s school speech day. So bad that people walked out. Even the faces of the teachers said it all – it was an embarassment that he was invited to speak and had nothing prepared! It was if he was high on something! There was literally nothing inspiring for the students to listen to, no theme or sentence that made any sense. Parents were even heckling him! He went on for over an hour, when he was to speak for 20 mins. When the headmistress told him he was over his time, he told her “don’t worry about dat!” and proceeded to talk more! It was so bad, that they had to cancel the student entertainment that was prepared, because he had such little respect for the time he was given to speak. God awful! This man has no right being elected to any position of Government. I don’t even think HE would pass the 11 plus exam!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *