Mottley: I told you so

Opposition Leader Mia Mottley is demanding that Government makes public the findings of a recent test carried out on the Worthing canal outflow.

Her demand came in response to a suggestion made last week by Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy that Worthing Beach should never have been closed.

“I want Richard Sealy to tell the country what the public health test showed on Monday last week, with respect to the water that was sampled, and whether the tests for the water closest to the sluice gate could have been read, or if it was off the charts,” she told a large crowd at Top Rock, Christ Church last night.

Suggesting that there may be a high level of contamination, Mottley also countered a statement by Minister of Health John Boyce that the overflow of discoloured water into the sea was caused by heavy rains two weeks ago.

“It didn’t start, John Boyce, with the rainfall on the 29th of November,” she said, quoting numerous media reports “from as early as the 4th of November of sewage being seen all along the south coast.

“There was no deluge of rain at that point,” Mottley stressed.

The Opposition Leader had first publicly rang alarm bells on the state of the south coast sewerage system in October 2015, when she read at a BLP annual conference at Foundation School, excerpts of a report to the Barbados Water Authority by the Ministry of Health’s biochemist and water quality consultant Patricia Inniss.

However, Mottley said back then she was “mocked” by Prime Minister Freundel Stuart after she warned him about the non-functioning south coast sewerage plant.

“But 14 months later, what do we have?”, asked Mottley, who last night quoted extensively from a memorandum titled, Funds Are Needed For Our Collapsing Sewerage System, which was reportedly sent by Inniss to the BWA Chairman Dr Atlee Brathwaite and copied to the Minister of Water Resource Management Dr David Estwick.

“If funds are not urgently sequestered to correct the multiplicity of problems plaguing both our sewerage treatment plants and their surrounding networks, we face the real possibility of their soon collapse,” the memo from Inniss reportedly said.

“You are aware that the South Coast Sewerage Treatment plant has been virtually non-functioning for over a year, as over 90 per cent of the sewage entering the plant is now being diverted from the influent pumps to the effluent pumps.”

Mottley, who had earlier called on the Prime Minister to instruct his Minister of Finance to make the necessary funds available to the BWA, also referred to customer complaints that sewage was contaminating the Graeme Hall Swamp, as she quoted from the memo.

21 Responses to Mottley: I told you so

1. Hal Austin December 13, 2016 at 2:59 am

When Guyana, the basket case of the Caribbean, can lose confidence in the Barbadian dollar we are in a bad state. We need a general election now.

2. Santini More
    Santini More December 13, 2016 at 7:03 am

This issue alone should force this useless Govt to fall. These incompetent fools are endangering our health and they are choosing to ignore the warnings of industry experts.

3. Greengiant December 13, 2016 at 7:05 am

I guess Trinidad needs one too brother Hal as they stopped taking Trinidad dollars as well.

4. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd December 13, 2016 at 7:16 am

RICHARD SEALY YOU HEARD THE DOC

5. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd December 13, 2016 at 7:20 am

SEALY LOOK WHAT LIES CAN CAUSE TO YOU

6. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore December 13, 2016 at 7:21 am

Since becoming PM in Oct 2010, Stuart has been ignoring sound advice on almost every issue. Miss Mottley is still being punished with laughter while we the policy holders of Clico suffer. The price we are paying for electing a complete buffoon.

7. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan December 13, 2016 at 7:22 am

Why aren’t any of the people who predicted this fallout years ago, talking now.. There was major opposition to the building of the sewage plant in the marshlands and this was one of the concerns.. Is everyone who raised these concerns dead? Looking back now the old bajan adage is true…if yuh start wrong yuh will end wrong!

8. Antionette Sealy December 13, 2016 at 8:17 am

@Jai Khan, you are perfectly correct. At that time they were also warned that a combine sewage system which transports both run off water and sewage was not the answer to the problem. This was the first time since it was installed, that it was tested. We experienced 6 inches of rain which it couldn’t handle. This problem is akin to a patient who can”t walk and the doctor treating the person for arthritis but the primary reason for the disability is stage 4 cancer of the spine. Miss Mottley should be aware of the primary reason. Wasn’t her Government in power when the sewage system was ordered and installed?

9. Antionette Sealy December 13, 2016 at 8:27 am

@ Hal, your comments usually make sense but this one makes me feel that somebody else posted it using your name. How could have Guyana lost confidence in the Barbadian dollar? Has it been devalued? Isn’t it pegged to the U.S dollar i.e two Barbadians dollars to one U.S dollar. Read the article again. If you want an early election, find another reason .

10. Hugh Roberta Ferguson
    Hugh Roberta Ferguson December 13, 2016 at 9:36 am

NEVER EVER will the DEMS tell the truth.!!!

• Sherlock Holmes. December 14, 2016 at 12:59 pm

YOU sir would not recognize the truth if it smacked you in the face.

11. jrsmith December 13, 2016 at 10:11 am

Oh dear , Oh dear, our Barbados makes me feel like crying , we have a bunch of people who suppose to be the government , it would be nice to see them all placed on a rocket and sent on the journey to Marssss…………. Sometimes I wonder if these people live in Barbados. they have no regards or respect for Barbados or bajans…….. sad very sad….

12. John Walmark December 13, 2016 at 10:51 am

Sealy must make the water testing reports public. Also he is quoted as saying ” an operational plan” is now in affect so the sewage plant will not spill raw human waste into the Swamp and then into sea with Sluice Gate is opening on a regular basis.
    I thought it was ironic that Sealy took a Dip at the far end of Worthing Beach and could not have been further away from the Sluice gate . We know that beach well, having spent 20 years annually in Barbados and on that beach. I also take exception to Mr Sealy when he blames social media about spreading false info. Let me tell Mr Sealy, I sent at least 10 emails to various government people including you . In all cases I received not one reply. Only replies I got from your office was that my email can’t be received . Same issue with BWA. I even tried to make sure I had correct email address.with a call to BWA I had correct email … We love ❤️ ….. we don’t like the way the politicians are refusing to make sure it stays pristine.
    Mr Sealy, please release the test samples of waters , test the waters inside sluice gate and detail the ” Operational plan you refer to .
    John walmark, email jfwalmark@hotmail.com

13. Antionette Sealy December 13, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Sorry Mr Walmark that you did not get a reply from Mr. Sealy but Barbados would be the first country in the world where John Public can write Ministers of Government and get responses from them. There are Heads of departments who are paid to respond to letters of that nature. Just name one of the ”various Government people” apart from Mr. Sealy to whom you sent these 10 emails. I think you should have checked the protocol which exists in this country before sending letters to ”Government”’. By the way , would you be kind enough to publish the ”correct” BWA email to which you sent your complaint? I observe from your posting that you know Barbados South Coast fairly well. I hope that you are mobile and can walk a few metres to the pristine beaches/waters on Dover or Rockley. The National Conservation Corporation maintains those two beaches in tip top shape. And finally sir, don’t let the local politicians, especially the Opposition Party spoil your holiday with fear mongering. It is two years before elections are called and they are battle ready. If you checked last week’s papers , you would have seen the Leader of the Party and the candidate for Worthing area talking to the press without face masks or holding their noses. Was the stench absent for the time she was on the beach? Please continue to enjoy your holiday on the South Coast, West Coast, East Coast and North Coast. A route 27 Transport Board bus will take you to Speightstown . On your way there, you can disembark on the West Coast where there are equally pristine waters/beaches. If you decide to complete the journey to Speightstown, you can get other buses to take you to the North and the East Coasts. Season’s greetings to you and your family.

• John Walmark December 13, 2016 at 5:38 pm

thanks so much for your reply. Protocol can be followed , like it is here in Canada . I can send a letter directly to any member of Parliament and its also very unlikely , initially , I will get a reply directly from them. I usually get a reply almost by return that someone from their office will respond. In the case of Mr Sealy, his email is published in the government web site . If it is to onerous for that Minister to respond, just have any emails to them get forwarded automatically to their Staff for reply.
      I will list all emails in a day or 2.
      Many reply’s we error 550… that means my e,mail went to spam in their system.
      if anyone out there has the details of the operational plan to correct the sewage leakage , please , for the sake of everyone, please publish it .
      As far as taking a bus to another beach,,,, help me out here… if we are on a beach ,why would I go to another beach ? We regularly tour the island and we use the ZR as well as city bus. we regularly take the bus to Bathsheba ,,, the only way to meet Bajans like yourself. Its a wonderful island with great people,, and like all countries , has politicians that once elected , only try to get reelected,, and wont deal with tough issues.

14. Antionette Sealy December 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

@ John Walmark
    I forgot to inform you that the bus fare to Speightstown and back is only 2 U.S dollars. Wow . In Herefordshire where I work periodically, a pint of beer costs 3 pounds sterling i.e 4 U.S dollars. In Barbados you can get the bus ride and two cold Banks beers for the said same 4 dollars. Continue to have an enjoyable holiday and forget the local politics.

15. Loretta Griffith December 13, 2016 at 4:27 pm

I saw persons whose tone of speech did not sound like mine, openly purchasing US dollars from taxi men. Without fear of being prosecuted and I wondered where else could this be done openly other than in Barbados.
    I love my country and I felt deceived at a time when we are crying out for foreign exchange that persons could be boldly raping our country.
    I honestly think something needs to be done about this.

16. Eleanor jess December 13, 2016 at 5:15 pm

What am I hearing we are surrounded by water, that should not be happening, take better care of our barbados.

17. Antionette Sealy December 13, 2016 at 7:51 pm

@John Walmark
    It is a pleasure conversing with you. I was recommending alternative sea-bathing as a temporary measure. I am sure that you have not been inconvenienced each time you come to Barbados by whatever made you uncomfortable on this year’s visit. I am no engineer but I know that the current sewage system used in Barbados , like similar ones used worldwide, malfunction whenever there is a deluge . They are not designed to transport sewage and large quantities of run off water simultaneously. Only last month the southwest coast of England was battered by storm Angus and raw sewage was seen on the streets and beaches of Devon and Cornwall due to the combined sewage systems failing. The answer to the problem here and in other countries, is to install separate systems for run off water and sewage. However it is very costly to install separate systems. May be you can tell readers of this newspaper what type of system your country uses since I have only spent two weeks in Canada and it was a scorching summer 2000 with a low rainfall . Again I wish you and your family all the best for the holidays and hope to have you back next year, even if you have to reside away from the Worthing area.

18. Troy December 13, 2016 at 9:52 pm

RPB sang a song a few years ago ” The country sick, the country ain’t well…” Gabby sang …” politicians mekking mock sport at we” Why does it seem that the populous have gone asleep. These bunch of power hungry blood suckers that we elected will continue in their illiterate ways unless we stand up and say enough is enough. Our fore fathers shed blood sweet and tears and are probably rolling in their graves to see that the country that their left for generations to come is being run by a group of liars. Shame on you PM Stuart for taking such a lackadaisical approach on these issues. Your band of cohorts will get a rude awakening come 2018.

19. Antionette Sealy December 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm

It is better for Stuart to be silent till it is necessary to speak than for Mia to speak and be told ”Silent please” . Case in point, the IMF denying her report. I agree with you and Gabby ”She mekking mock sport at we”