All clear!

Worthing Beach has once again been declared safe for bathers, as the awful stench which has been prevalent for several weeks now has also virtually disappeared.

And so confident were Minister of Health John Boyce and Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy of the water quality that they dived right in for a dip this morning in full view of the media, in a move designed to reassure Barbadians and tourists that the situation was nothing like what was being portrayed on social media.

Richard Sealy in conversation with colleague minister John Boyce.

Government created a storm when it announced over the weekend that it was closing Worthing Beach due to the poor quality of the water, with a number of potential visitors taking to the travel website TripAdvisor threatening to cancel their holiday travel plans to Barbados.

Residents and business owners on the south coast had been complaining for several weeks about raw sewage on the roads and sidewalks, and later, the beach.

One businessman with an apartment on Worthing Beach told Barbados TODAY on Friday that the awful stench and sight of faeces had been posing a threat to the businesses in the area, which is popular with tourists.

“The apartment that I am associated with is fully booked until April next year. It is located right below by the way of the flow of the current, where all of this crap going on. So whenever my tourist come out on the beach, they’re looking out and seeing water that is murky water, which is sewage coming out. That is not what they are paying hundreds of US dollars a night to come and enjoy,” he said.

The authorities have had a tough time convincing people that raw sewage had not seeped into the water, and as he announced this morning that the Environmental Protection Department had given the all clear for the beach to be re-opened to the public, Sealy lashed those he claimed were providing “negative publicity” to the situation because of “mischief” or ignorance.

“At no time was the beach threatened [by sewage],” Sealy proclaimed.

“Negative publicity is just that, negative. It is worse when it is negativity borne out of an absence of knowledge or understanding of the issue, or worse than that, mischief. Unfortunately, I think both are factored on this issue.

“This beach is where I am a couple mornings a week and this has been going on for many years. It is just unfortunate that people thought that they could capitalize on a natural part of this particular beach,” the minister said.

Sealy said what people had been noticing was the natural flow of brackish water from the Graeme Hall wet lands into the sea, and he accused the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) of spreading public fear over the issue.

Opposition Leader Mia Mottley Monday led a team of BLP parliamentarians to the beach, from where she called on Prime Minister Freundel Stuart to take charge and clean up the mess.   

“I felt I needed to do what had to be done in the face of opposition aspirants bringing people from miles away to try to whip people up into a frenzy for something that is natural,” Sealy stressed.

The Member of Parliament for St Michael South Central expressed hope that with the right public relations effort, such as this morning’s exercise, any damage to the country’s reputation would be quickly undone.

Meantime, Boyce admitted that his ministry had not done enough on social media to counter the negative stories, as he underscored the importance of Government using social media to correct misinformation.

“Because of the power of social media – and our task is of course to respond and to respond with the facts – we have to get on social media and put the correct story out there,” Boyce said.


colvillemounsey@barbadostoday.bb

18 Responses to All clear!

  1. Boyce Jr Angus
    Boyce Jr Angus December 9, 2016 at 3:19 am

    Lol…..everything that happens is the opposition fault….not poor communications or even no communication by u & ur ministers…….. Smh……try actually getting in front a situation & not just playing the blame game after the fact…..remember governments are supposed ta govern not lay blame someplace else

    Reply
  2. BIG SKY December 9, 2016 at 5:10 am

    WUNNA SHOULD A GONE A WEEK OR 2 AGO

    Reply
  3. michael parker December 9, 2016 at 5:16 am

    photograph shows a towel draped over his shoulder, but did he actually go into the sea, it would be more psitive to your readers to have a picture of him actually bathing in the sea.

    Reply
  4. Santini More
    Santini More December 9, 2016 at 5:32 am

    Yes I know we were stupid enough to put you buffoons in power, but do you really think this blatant piece of PR nonsense will fool anybody?

    Reply
  5. Jasmine December 9, 2016 at 5:50 am

    Sirs,

    What are the current levels of Indicator Bacteria, according to tests you have performed?

    These tests need to be weekly and the public updated. Perhaps through a website or social media.

    Reply
  6. Pamalea Payne
    Pamalea Payne December 9, 2016 at 6:02 am

    Can’t please people

    Reply
  7. Shari A Lobo
    Shari A Lobo December 9, 2016 at 6:44 am

    Declared safe by whom? Nothing in this report states what entities has declared it safe; only eludes that it would be MoH. Didn’t NCC declare it closed? Did NCC remove the signs?

    Where are test results? More importantly where is the plan and vision for GOB to have on going testing of the sand that will hold and breed the multitudes of bacteria that will multiply?

    Reply
    • Debbie A.Leon
      Debbie A.Leon December 9, 2016 at 7:21 am

      They are using their authority for nonsense. This is a show. Citizens health are at risk.

      Reply
  8. Brian Hurley
    Brian Hurley December 9, 2016 at 7:00 am

    Give them 2 weeks just to be sure. Lol

    Reply
  9. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd December 9, 2016 at 7:03 am

    BIKINI SWAMP GIRLS

    Reply
  10. Charly Bamboo
    Charly Bamboo December 9, 2016 at 7:08 am

    The damage already done bunch of muppets.

    Reply
  11. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray December 9, 2016 at 7:10 am

    The two of them want sick leave to

    Reply
  12. Akeeba Holder
    Akeeba Holder December 9, 2016 at 7:13 am

    Smh it’s a damn shame it took Mia and her people to visit this area for Dem to come and actually address this issue. But with all due respect just because you addressed it, that does not mean the issue disappears. I hope wanna tails don’t end up in QEH this weekend.

    Reply
  13. Rechelle December 9, 2016 at 8:03 am

    They should have drank some of the water too. Well they already full of….

    Reply
  14. John Walmark December 9, 2016 at 8:18 am

    The only way I will believe them is when The OPERATIONAL PLAN TO CLEAN UP THE SEWAGE SPILLING IS MADE PUBLIC. Lets see the plan to fix the sewage plant so this wont happen in future.
    Ironic that they were not in water at SLUICE GATE OPENING….

    Reply
  15. jrsmith December 9, 2016 at 9:51 am

    Bajans stop trying to give you all selves heart attacks, you all are expecting too much from a bunch of , rum , corned beef and biscuits politicians .. who only wear new suits and ties , but their trustworthy is still backa yard.
    We should have breath a word in (His Majesty’s Prince Harry’s ) ear , to have a word with his gran on arriving back in the (UK) asking for a team from Westminster to come and put things right in little England….
    We have become as like most countries on the (African Continent ) ,if you want anything done you will have to bribe the person or persons who is doing what ever for you….

    Reply
  16. Sheron Inniss December 9, 2016 at 10:19 am

    The song Shame Shame Shame comes to mind in this fiasco.

    Reply
  17. John Walmark December 9, 2016 at 10:38 am

    it behooves the government to make public the operational plan they say has been approved to correct the sewage leakage .
    Plain and Simple

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *