Loiterer to spend half year in prison

A 50-year-old man who was caught loitering on the premises of Kensington Oval in the wee hours of this morning will spend the next six months in jail.

Ronald Anthony Chesterfield Deane, who was suspected of being on the cricket ground to commit theft, today pleaded guilty in the No.2 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court to the charge.

The court heard from police prosecutor Sergeant Janice Ifill that when lawmen were responding to a report on Fontabelle, St Michael around 12:55 a.m., they heard bottles rattling in the area of the Oval.

They then received a report from Terry Springer, the caretaker of the cricket ground, that Deane was seen on the compound with a case of bottles. When lawmen approached Deane, he ran off with the bottles. He was pursued and was captured near Esso Holbourne.

“They does got parties and I know bottles here that I could thief and get money to buy drugs, cause I got a drug problem,” the man, who had no fixed place of abode, reportedly told police when he was apprehended.

Asked further by the lawmen whether he had gotten permission to go on the property, Deane replied: “No, officer, but I know I could get money for them bottles. I saw them behind there and I took them to buy drugs.”

He was arrested and taken into custody. When told that he was being charged for the offence, Deane allegedly said: “I gine go court and tell them I mad, cause wunna is de f****** criminals and I ain’t gine no jail.”

On hearing the facts, Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant asked Deane whether he had anything to say to the court.

“I pleaded guilty and that is all I got to say,” was his reply.

13 Responses to Loiterer to spend half year in prison

1. Ricardo Bascombe
    Ricardo Bascombe December 8, 2016 at 8:56 am

Well he would be fed

2. Dwayne Gittens
    Dwayne Gittens December 8, 2016 at 10:06 am

At least he gine get ham fa Xmas lol

3. Sonia Romain
    Sonia Romain December 8, 2016 at 11:48 am
  4. kathy-Ann Clarke December 8, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Lol, oh boy, his comments are quite funny tho…

5. Whitehill December 8, 2016 at 1:48 pm

No doubt this man got time only because of his remarks to the cops. Time and time again its been highlighted the speed of which some poor black bajan is sent to prison for stealing a tin of corned beef while another group literal gets away with murder.
    Regardless, this man needs help and a custodial sentence will not accomplish that.
    One day hopefully I’ll see a Barbadian jurist who has the balls, man or woman to act as swiftly and decisively with those who are bringing the guns into Barbados and selling to those punk ass boys.

6. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva December 8, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Babsie Bynoe if is a big word. He did not attack anyone, he was honest to his situation and more importantly it is clearly evident the man is in dire need of help. Prison is not a place for drug addicts and petty criminals. It is highly doubtful he would of received the help he needs had he gone to a doctor, social worker, police officer, or anyone in authority and asked for help. He would have been ignored, getting into trouble with the law was probably his best opportunity to receive help, However, I stead he was sent to jail. It’s sad because this man has no hope in hell to an opportunity to turn his life around even if he was willing and wanted to. The system is his worse enemy.

7. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva December 8, 2016 at 3:08 pm

He looks worn out and is perhaps hungry, tired and needs food and rest. This may very well be his intention like you say. According to statistics It is not uncommon for the homeless to go this route especially at this time of year.

8. Antonio Cozier
    Antonio Cozier December 8, 2016 at 4:19 pm

The hideous inhumane extremely dangerous act of loitering these types of crimes destroy our educational system or healthcare system or Central Bank and so on it’s best to incarcerate him

9. Andrea Atkins
    Andrea Atkins December 8, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I wasn’t aware that loitering was a crime worthy of imprisonment! smh

10. Jeoffry December 9, 2016 at 8:07 am

6 months for stealing bottles? Well done

11. Chris December 9, 2016 at 8:08 am

6 months for stealing bottles? Well done

12. The Negrocrat December 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

So for the next 6 months we have to house, feed and buy drugs for him.
    STUPID

13. Veronica December 10, 2016 at 8:51 am

SMDH . . . Speechless after that (the shaking of my head), it gonna soon fall off! B. O. T. T. L. E. S yuh . . .