BSTU not consulted on Combermere move

The Barbados Secondary Teachers Union (BSTU) is not at all happy with the way in which Government went about relocating the fifth and sixth form students of Combermere School.

On November 16, the Ministry of Education closed the school until further notice to allow for further investigation into the environmental problems at the Government-run Waterford, St Michael institution.

The ministry had also said it was in the process of securing alternative accommodation for staff and students.

It made good on that promise last week, announcing that sixth formers would resume classes yesterday at Erdiston Teachers Training College, while classes for fifth form students would recommence today at the Samuel Jackson Prescod Polytechnic (SJPP).

In the meantime, the authorities said they were making every effort to find alternative accommodation for the remainder of the school.

However, BSTU President Mary Redman told Barbados TODAY this afternoon that neither the union nor its membership was consulted on the relocation process.

“They [the teachers] were just told that this was arranged. They knew of the arrangement the same day when classes started,” Redman said, while pointing out that not all teachers owned vehicles.

The union leader contended that out of respect and courtesy, there should at all times be consultation beforehand so teachers could point out any potential problems and seek to address them early.

Redman said she could not speak to how the classes had gone so far at the two locations, but revealed that some teachers had been holding classes at the union’s headquarters in Belleville, St Michael.

“In terms of how the transition to Erdiston and SJPP went, I am not sure,” the BSTU president said.

18 Responses to BSTU not consulted on Combermere move

1. Hal Austin December 7, 2016 at 5:36 am

Can someone please get this woman some counselling. Does she believe that managing a school is a joint enterprise with the union? How can someone who is obviously so self-obsessed and, to my mind, stupid, be head of a union? How can intelligent teachers vote for her to be their leader?

2. Wayne P Hoyte
    Wayne P Hoyte December 7, 2016 at 6:05 am

Smh

3. Cheryl Downes
    Cheryl Downes December 7, 2016 at 6:43 am

I normally don’t comment on certain issues……but I’m tired, fatigue, exhausted with this Combermere issue that has been going on too long. Isn’t it about time that something is done cause at the end of the day the children are suffering. I know my daughter is! As a parent there nothing I can do but listen to her vent about her disappointment in the system that is failing her and her friends. Ministry of education, union, teachers, principal….please get it right! You all certainly don’t look good in the eyes of the students. Have any of you really took the time to listen….especially to what these children are saying about you and your behaviour…I’m telling you it’s not good. As a parent, I’m pleading with you to please fix it!

• Stacia Joseph
      Stacia Joseph December 7, 2016 at 7:24 am

And fix it fast. My daughter now entered the school and she’s not happy about being home…..r they really concerned about our children?????

4. Mike Baje
    Mike Baje December 7, 2016 at 6:44 am

Does Mary Redwoman have children?.

5. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith December 7, 2016 at 8:12 am

This woman just plain stupid makes noise because she could,my daughter goes too Combermere ,and is one of the sixth formers who were transferred too Erdiston I knew of this a days before hand ,we don’t have transportation but she have to get there,Ms Redman just like to make a fuss of every unnecessary thing,I went there on the first day students were there ,workers were there,teachers were there nobody fussing,she needs to stop,why would she have to be informed.
    And besides you think if the students and parents knew before hand the teachers only knew on the same day,I fail to believe this,everything seem to be going fine.

6. Philip Clement
    Philip Clement December 7, 2016 at 8:49 am

what’s wrong with this woman..?

7. Gail Agard Wallace
    Gail Agard Wallace December 7, 2016 at 9:02 am

Something is also fishy about this school issue. How does this happen anyway?

8. Honey Greenidge
    Honey Greenidge December 7, 2016 at 9:22 am

This woman is sickening

9. Dave Person
    Dave Person December 7, 2016 at 9:24 am

We brecker than most think.

10. Sherlock Holmes. December 7, 2016 at 10:59 am

Only sickening? I often wonder if she really does the job she is paid for? She loves being relevant, sad thing thing is, she does not know that she is not, poor thing.

11. Kevin December 7, 2016 at 12:01 pm

The prinicpal of Combermere supported Jeff Broomes in his saga at Alexandra. I guess the BSTU did not take kindly to that.

12. harry turnover December 7, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Redman real miserable fa real……Ms ???…no wonder

13. RC December 7, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Why did the very well paid Union Officials not recommend to the Ministry of Education a suitable venue to resite the Combermere students? I actually heard that a few of their teachers do not teach the Students at all….and when the parents complain their kids recieve 0% on all of their assignments. If my kid was at that School I would have begged for a transfer long time ago.

14. Alex Alleyne December 7, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Simple, if you “spit” this person will call just to be in the news.

15. BIG SKY December 8, 2016 at 4:44 am

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT SHE IS GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE.Everything that is done or said has to be rebutted by her. I think she is in the wrong profession,she should be AN ATTORNEY.

16. Donnie Smith December 8, 2016 at 6:54 am

This woman wants to be relevant, she causes confusion and opposes everything. Why did she advise teachers at combermmere not to mark papers despite the ruling of the Solicitor General.