Shemar’s verdict

No criminal charges in Weekes’ death – DPP

No criminal charges will be brought against Shemar Weekes’ mother, or anyone else for that matter, in relation to the unnatural death of the 12-year-old boy last year. At least, not for the time being.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Charles Leacock, QC, told Barbados TODAY this morning that having examined the police file and recommendations from Coroner Manila Renee, he found “insufficient evidence” to recommend prosecution.

“There is insufficient evidence in the police file and in the Coroner’s recommendations to recommend that criminal charges be brought against anyone,” the DPP said.

Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Charles Leacock
Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Charles Leacock

However, Leacock said he had advised the police to keep the file open, and in the event any new evidence surfaces, the file would be returned to him.

Shemar’s case thrust the issue of child abuse here into the limelight after the former Coleridge & Parry student was found hanging at his Fryer’s Well, Checker Hall, St Lucy home on May 14, 2015. His death, just over a month before that of six-year-old Jahan King, was later ruled a suicide by a pathologist, who had also said that the 15 injuries found on Shemar’s body could have been caused through the normal course of play, although he did not rule out abuse.

Shemar Weekes
Shemar Weekes

Fingers were pointed at his mother Julieanne Weekes and the Child Care Board, which admitted during a coroner’s inquest into the boy’s death that it had acted inappropriately after receiving complaints that the child was being abused.

The coroner had in August referred the case back to the Commissioner of Police for further investigation, ruling that there was sufficient evidence to suggest that a crime had taken place and that it was better suited to be handled by a criminal jurisdiction.

Leacock revealed today that Acting Commissioner responsible for Crime Management Lybron Sobers had sent him the file on October 4, 2016 and he had replied on November 7, 2016, adding that since then the document had been with the police.

The inquest into Shemar’s death heard from 16 people, including the police, neighbours, relatives and officials of the Child Care Board.

During the hearing, the police officer who had recorded Julianne Weekes’ statement three days after the incident told the inquest that the mother had said she and her son had had a good relationship until he entered secondary school, after which he began to give her “back chat”. She said she had beaten him with her hand but was never “excessive in my mode of punishment”.

Weekes, who was the only one present when the boy died, had also said that on the day he died Shemar had appeared normal and not depressed.

In wrapping up the case, the coroner had dismissed the pathologist’s ruling of suicide as a “fallacy”, and had pointed to inconsistencies and contradictions in the evidence given by the boy’s mother and stepfather Shawn Greaves.

Weekes, who was in court at the time, broke down in tears when the coroner was describing the noose by which the boy is alleged to have used to kill himself.

emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

18 Responses to Shemar’s verdict

1. Philip Clement
    Philip Clement December 6, 2016 at 12:28 am

what….?

2. Philip Clement
    Philip Clement December 6, 2016 at 12:31 am

so then this crime stoppers hotline and the CCB was a waste of time… so was ours….
    I am so sorry Shemar… we tried..

3. ch December 6, 2016 at 12:42 am

Weak, wishy-washy lack of a decision. Where are the child advocates?

4. Janelle King
    Janelle King December 6, 2016 at 12:48 am

God will have the final verdict. Your tears and pain have not gone on deaf ears. The Lord will vindicate your death Shamar. Gone too soon.

5. Janel Howell
    Janel Howell December 6, 2016 at 1:47 am

God will sort that out too. DON’T WORRY. EASY SO MY GOD WILL SORT THAT OUT.

6. Sugar V Outerbim
    Sugar V Outerbim December 6, 2016 at 1:52 am

What the hell went wrong

7. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry December 6, 2016 at 1:54 am

God will deal with she…

8. Tony Webster December 6, 2016 at 2:27 am

Shame. Shame. Shame. I hope his spirit disturbs the sleep of those who have neither shame or competence.
    At least, this child has indelibly seared his charming smile on my mind, for as long as I live.

9. Sonnie Leawat
    Sonnie Leawat December 6, 2016 at 3:11 am

Hope they find the evidence on review and something helps to bring about a prosecution . Don’t want to wait for God to deal with them .

10. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria December 6, 2016 at 3:46 am

Smdh. No justice.

11. Patsy Yearwood
    Patsy Yearwood December 6, 2016 at 3:59 am

God is not sleeping he is wide awàke

12. Goody Smarts
    Goody Smarts December 6, 2016 at 5:00 am

All you people that keep saying that this God does not sleep, remember to sleep one must have to exist in the first place. There is clearly no factual evidence to show a God existing in reality far-less not sleeping. Sorry to say but Shemar Weekes is dead and gone for ever. It is painful to lost a love one but it is all part of reality. , no afterlife , no heaven , no hell or no god to return tom, death is final.

13. Goody Smarts
    Goody Smarts December 6, 2016 at 5:00 am

All you people that keep saying that this God does not sleep, remember to sleep one must have to exist in the first place. There is clearly no factual evidence to show a God existing in reality far-less not sleeping. Sorry to say but Shemar Weekes is dead and gone for ever. It is painful to lost a love one but it is all part of reality. , no afterlife , no heaven , no hell or no god to return to, death is final.

14. Phil December 6, 2016 at 10:03 am

Again I say we have a lot of qualified idiots working in Barbados. They are educated yes but do not apply truth to their undertaking. I believe in Karma. What goes around, comes around. Justice is profound and whomever is at fault will suffer seven times the worse. So be it written, ASo shall it be done.

15. GUY SMILEY December 6, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Thats the police for you in Bim. Not enough evidence, without ‘confessions’ i dont know where we would be

16. Clarista Daniel January 12, 2017 at 7:08 am

Cannot believe my eyes as I just read the DPP report.although it does not surprise me.I am Shemar’s great aunt and I grieve for him every day.Julieann may not have killed him but she contributed to his death.For the rest of my life I will carry the guilt that I did not foresee what happened .I took him out of the situation as much as I could but that was not enough.I feel like I have wasted my time testifying at the inquest and they have wasted the time of the Coroner and the other witnesses.The Coroner did a fantastic job and she along with the witnesses have done justic to Shemar’s memory.Julieanne there is a higher justice and you will pay.I will now try to release Shemar in God’s hands and hope he gives me the strength to forgive Julieann before I die