Fisherman pleads guilty to manslaughter

courtA 72-year-old fisherman today pleaded guilty to manslaughter, following the death of Caroline Roberta Forde nearly three years ago.

The 49-year-old fish vendor died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after she was brutally stabbed on August 19, 2013.

Appearing in the No 2 Supreme Court today, Garnett Levere Brome of Six Men’s, St Peter who has been on remand since then, said he was “not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter”.

According to the facts read by Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Donna Babb-Agard, QC, Brome, who was 69-years-old at the time of the incident, was involved in an intimate relationship with Forde for over ten years.

The two were employed at the Bridgetown complex and also shared a locker in which Brome kept his money.

Babb-Agard revealed that Brome and Forde were involved in a verbal and later a physical altercation after Brome’s money went missing and he confronted Forde.

The accused fisherman said that Forde told him, if he could not wait until she gives him the money, he could kill her or do whatever he wanted to do.

The court also heard that on the day of the incident, Forde went to the lockers around 4:30 p.m. to change her clothes when she was again confronted by Brome. She got angry and threw bleach water she was cleaning up with in his direction.

The court also heard statements given to police by several witnesses, including Ryan Omar Clarke, a fisherman from Bayfield, St Philip.

Clarke told police that he heard Brome say to Caroline, “you feel I is a c*** or a fool”, before he started hitting Forde in her face, causing her to fall back on some nets and rope, which were on the floor.

Clarke went on to say in the statement that Brome continued to hit Forde about the body and beat her with a piece of metal before taking a black handled knife from the cupboard and stabbing her about the body while she was screamed, “stop, stop, stop”.

The Deputy DPP also told the court that Police Officer 1397 Paul Goddard was in the area at the time and heard the woman’s screams for help.

Officer Goddard said in his statement that he noticed a woman with “blood on her head, face, hands and clothing . . . [who took] several steps in his direction and subsequently collapsed”.

After calling for back up, the officer said he approached Brome, who was “aggressive and uncooperative”, and cautioned him. The police officer said he told Brome “he was not obliged to say anything unless he wanted to do so”.

However, Goddard said Brome told him: “I stab she up, I mean Caroline Forde she did want killing every . . . since. She did f****** me up for 12 years now, I don’t give a . . . . if she dead”.

In an oral statement to the police, Brome again admitted to stabbing Forde with a “boning knife” which he had thrown “overboard”.

The knife was found by members of the Coast Guard following a search of the area pointed out by Brome.

In his statement to the police, Brome said he “snapped” after Forde threw the bleach water of him and revealed that the amount of money missing was $2,450.

Babb-Agard revealed that a post mortem examination showed that Forde died from multiple stab wounds.

Brome, who now uses a walking aid, is represented by attorney-at-law Verla Depieza.

He remains in custody at HMP Dodds after he failed to meet the $100,000 bail set in February this year.

A presentencing report was requested by his lawyer.

Brome returns to court on September 23.

3 Responses to Fisherman pleads guilty to manslaughter

  1. Dexter Israel
    Dexter Israel July 6, 2016 at 9:14 am

    never share ya money that way with no one…both parties wrong..sin on sin

  2. Bernard Codrington. July 6, 2016 at 11:07 am

    Twelve years in a toxic relationship and he dd not leave?

  3. BoboTheClown July 7, 2016 at 7:37 am

    He lost his money ,and she lost her life. That does not seem to me to be a fair exchange.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *