Battle on

Graydon Sealy, Harrison College reach under-16 basketball final

Miguel Gibson’s game-high 24 points for Deighton Grifith proved insignificant as Graydon Sealy today secured their place in National Sports Council’s Co-operators General Insurance Under-16 Knockout final against Harrison College.

In the first of two semi-final games played this afternoon at the Barbados Community College Graydon Sealy continued their unbeaten run with an exciting 55-50 victory over Deighton Griffith after leading 14-8, 27-23 and 42-27 after three quarters.

Meanwhile in the second semi-final clash Harrison College had their way both on offence and defence against The St Michael School who struggled throughout and were mauled 52-22 in a one-sided affair. At the intervals, Harrison College led 19-4, 25-9 and 41-15 and 52-22.

Harrison College (maroon) made light work of The St Michael School.
Harrison College (maroon) made light work of The St Michael School.

Interestingly, Graydon Sealy will play Harrison College in both the knockout and league finals respectively. The knockout final will be contested tomorrow at the BCC starting at 3 p.m. and both teams will look to claim bragging rights heading into Saturday’s league final.

In the first semi-final the scores were tight at half -time as Graydon Sealy came from behind to take a four-point lead at the mid-way break.

At the start of the third quarter Deighton Griffith locked the scores at 27-27 but in no time Graydon Sealy took the advantage through point guard Makahya Shaw with a layup and a three pointer to take them to 32. Shaw had a top score of 14 points and Renaldo Simmons, 12.

Graydon Sealy also utilized their players well especially centre Araio Pope who was a presence in the paint on both the defensive and offensive end. They eventually picked up momentum and reached a lead of 40-27 with fewer than three minutes to play.

Graydon Sealy’s coach Sean Jones rested his players coming on to the end of the penultimate quarter and Shaw was one
of them.

Renaldo Simmons (left) watches as Makahya Shaw (with ball) makes a move on Deighton Griffith’s defenders.
Renaldo Simmons (left) watches as Makahya Shaw (with ball) makes a move on Deighton Griffith’s defenders.

In the fourth and decisive period Deighton Griffith finally began to get some momentum going with Jahiem Eversley drilling a three pointer. Shem Aymes also assisted with the scoreboard ticking over and netted one of two free throws for Deighton Griffith to reach 30.

It was seven minutes and couple seconds into that quarter that Jones decided to bring back on Shaw after Deighton Griffith began to show a bit more aggression and progressed to 39 points when Aymes and Griffith scored respective twos to carry their team to 43 to make the match more interesting. Graydon Sealy were up by only six points with two minutes and 25 seconds on the board. Jones called time out to settle his players and at the resumption of play there was a scramble on the floor for ball possession which won by Simmons and followed by a layup that saw the boys in maroon reach 51 points.

Simon Hinds of Deighton Griffith fouled out to the delight of Graydon Sealy supporters but Kyon DaSilva picked up another gear when he made a last minute run for his school scoring seven points coming on to the end to take his team to 50. But it was not enough to stop Graydon Sealy who have not reacedh the knockout final in three years.

The other semi-final match was not as exciting a contest because it was usually one-way traffic in favour of the Crumpton Street, St Michael school. Harrison College, who have made it to three straight finals including last year’s when they lost to Queen’s College, were the clear favourites this afternoon.

Top scoring for Harrison College was Jaden Walker with 15 points and Joshua Franklyn who netted ten points. Joshan Grant had eight points for The St Michael School.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *