Fire destroys two homes, damages another

A young Water Hall Land, St Michael man was rendered homeless today after an early morning fire consumed his home.

Tourism worker Corey Brewster lost all his possessions in the blaze, which started around 8 a.m.

29-year-old Corey Brewster (right) standing with his brother.
29-year-old Corey Brewster (right) standing with his brother.

The fire also destroyed an adjacent one-bedroom house, caused slight damage to another, owned by 99-year-old Rosalie Bailey, and extensively damaged a car that was parked in front of Brewster’s home.

The 29-year-old Brewster was not at home when the fire started, but got there in time to see his home being consumed by the flames.

He said he attempted to save some of the contents, however, the heat and billowing smoke proved too much for him.

The charred remains.

“I feel lost, just like the house,” the young man, still in disbelief, told Barbados TODAY this afternoon as he watched the charred rubble.

“I loss everything, even the dog dead. I even had lumber in there that I buy to do some small repairs. I had paint, a brand new marble counter, sinks, bathroom fittings that ain’t get installed yet,” he lamented.

It was just in late February this year that Minister of Social Transformation Steve Blackett handed over the $75,000 house to Bailey under the Poverty Alleviation and Reduction Programme.

Bailey’s granddaughter Caroline, who lives at the house with two of her sons, wept bitterly at the scene this morning. She later collapsed and had to be taken by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for medical attention.

This afternoon, Bailey sat in her dining room, thanking God for sparing her home.

 99-year-old Rosalie Bailey
99-year-old Rosalie Bailey

“I have to thank God because it happen just as I was reading my Bible and praying and asking God for deliverance from everything. But it happen so sudden that I just couldn’t understand what happen,” Bailey told Barbados TODAY.

Just after nine, ten fire officers under the command of Divisional Officer Ormond Fenty brought the fire under control. Two fire tenders and one water tanker were deployed to extinguish the blaze. (AH)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *