Bail delivered

Postman released on kidnapping and three other serious charges

He entered the District “A” Magistrates’ Court today in chains and handcuffs and under the escort of prison officers.

However, to Wayne Sylvester Harewood’s relief, the only escorts he had on the way out of the courthouse were his relatives, after he was granted bail on four charges of kidnapping, wounding and robbery.

Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant granted bail to the accused postman in the sum of $10,000, with one surety.

When Harewood appeared in court yesterday, the police prosecutor Sergeant Neville Reid had objected to bail on the grounds that the offences were not only very serious, but that others were being sought in connection with the case. Reid also pointed out that investigators were still trying to recover property and that the accused could interfere with the investigations.

The prosecutor had also highlighted the fact that the injuries to the complainants were inflicted with a weapon, adding that there was a need to protect society from Harwood, who in his estimation was not fit for bail.

However, in appealing for leniency, Harewood said yesterday he wanted to protect his “small” job. He also called on the magistrate to take cognizance of the fact that he had turned himself in to the police, and was in the process of constructing his home.

He had also suggested to the magistrate that there could be a two-week adjournment to his case to allow his lawyer to make an application for bail on his behalf.

When the case resumed today, Harewood’s attorney Arthur Holder appealed for bail on behalf of his client, telling the court Harewood did not have any previous convictions and was willing to comply with any conditions imposed.

He also pointed out that there were people who could vouch for him and he posed no danger to society.

Holder also noted that Harewood, who has been working as a postman for the past 12 years, was currently awaiting word on his appointment. Therefore, a prison record would jeopardize present and future employment for Harewood, who he also said has a fixed place of abode.

The postman is accused of robbing Anthony Persaud of one ring valued at $1,500 and Raymond Gonsalves of one chain valued at $800, a cellphone valued at $1,500 and $400 in cash on April 3, 2016.  Harewood is also charged with unlawfully removing Persaud and Gonsalves from Bay Street, St Michael on April 3 without their consent and with wounding them with intent to maim, disfigure or disable them, or to do some serious bodily harm to them.

Following Holder’s submission, the prosecution advised it had no objection to his bail.

The Carrington Village, St Michael resident was therefore released, with no conditions attached to his bail. However, he was ordered to return to court on August 12.

One Response to Bail delivered

  1. Gailann Rouse
    Gailann Rouse April 27, 2016 at 6:25 am

    That football world cup dance did him no justice….. lol smh


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *