Sonics, Cavs make short shrift of opponents

It was predicted and it came to pass when Urban Vybz St John Sonics and Station Hill Cavaliers trounced their respective opponents at the Wildey Gymnasium last night.

When round two of the Co-operators General Insurance-sponsored Barbados Amateur Basketball Association’s Premier League continued last night, Cavaliers had no problems taking a comfortable 76-55 win over Combined Schools Trident.

And if that was a blowout, Sonics were ever more clinical as they outplayed VYB Patriots in every facet of the encounter to embarrass them with a 75-46 score line. They led 25-12, 47-20, 59-35 after three quarters in what was the final game of the night. After being on court for 32:36 minutes Kevin Robinson top scored with 15 points for Sonics, Dwayne Kellman had 13 and there were 11 points each from Tyrel Clarke and the big man Akeem Marsh who had just under 38 minutes of court time.

Akeem Marsh of Urban Vybz St John Sonics (center) blocked several shots taken by the Patriots. (Pictures by Morissa Lindsay)
Akeem Marsh of Urban Vybz St John Sonics (center) blocked several shots taken by the Patriots. (Pictures by Morissa Lindsay)

Damien Gaskin opened with a two-point shot for Patriots and for the most part of the first quarter the scores were close with Sonics leading 7-6 at the early exchanges. But the St John men began to separate themselves starting with a collective effort from Robinson who nailed a trey to start the ball rolling. There were contributions from Clarke and especially Marsh who made it look so easy. During one play he drove through Patriots’ spacious defence and slam dunked to extend Sonics’ lead.

With less than three minutes to play in the period Patriots netted six points during an offensive burst but were made to work very hard for each point they scored. Frequently their passes into the key were intercepted by good defensive play, especially from Marsh. Sonics were ahead 22-12 with less than 30 seconds left to play when Stefan Clarke scored another three-pointer to give his side further advantage at 25-12.

Kevin Robinson of Urban Vybz St John Sonics takes another three-point shot.
Kevin Robinson of Urban Vybz St John Sonics takes another three-point shot.

Ironically at the beginning of the first three quarters Patriots accounted for the first set of points scored and eventually reached 20 compliments Cheyne Freeman. But Sonics never allowed them to get too far ahead and then took complete control.  It all started when Marsh missed a shot in the second quarter and Robinson came to the rescue and found the basket, Stefan Clarke made a free throw and Marsh then made up for his mistake with a steal, he dribbled past Neil Yearwood and made good on his three-point attempt.

With four minutes to go in the period, and 34-20 to Sonics, Patriots called a time out. That hardly helped as Robinson scored two consecutive three-pointers after the time out as their lead ballooned. So much so that at the end of the penultimate quarter Sonics had extended their lead to 24 points. Patriots’ chaotic on-court communication did not help them either.

In the fourth quarter Julian Walcott showed some fight coming on to the end for Patriots with the score at 64-37 to Sonics. Walcott netted two free throws and then worked his way to the basket for a lay-up to put his side on 41 but it was all a little too late and a cause long lost. To put icing on the cake for Sonics Mark Watson showed that his shooting touch by hitting a three-pointer and then a two to the delight of his teammates and Sonics’ fans.

Meanwhile in the other game Cavaliers commanded the first three quarters 22-18, 45-34 and 62-51 over Tridents thanks to Darren Hunte who collected 21 points and Jamai Puckerin who chipped in with 16. For Tridents Jehu Lafeuille had 14 and Kadeem Brathwaite scored 13.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *