Trial ends

COURT TODAY BLOCK“This is my life and my last chance for you to see me and to hear me.”

And with those words to the jury, Deon Dacosta Maynard held the attention of everyone inside Court No. 5 of the Supreme Court for almost an hour this afternoon as he sought to convince them of his innocence.

Maynard, 41, a former barber of Rendezvous, Christ Church is accused of killing Arthur Frederick Chaderton and his son-in-law Gerhard Stock on August 2, 2011 at Chaderton’s Salters, St George residence.

During his 55-minute summation, Maynard told the 12 jurors that the evidence presented by the prosecution did not prove without a reasonable doubt that he was in the Chaderton home that day.

Furthermore, he insisted that the police officers involved in the case had not properly carried out their investigations to indeed prove he was responsible for the double murder.

Maynard said police had failed to fingerprint either the car he allegedly used to commit the crime or the knife which they said he had used as a weapon during the incident.

He also questioned why police had never applied for a warrant to search his home.

“For how long do we continue to allow police to pick innocent people? I don’t want pity, I don’t want compassion, I want justice!” Maynard emphatically stated.

Additionally, he argued that none of the family members present during the ordeal had identified him as the culprit.

“I’m asking you to pay attention to the facts and not speculation. The prosecution has failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I was in the Chaderton’s home that day,” he insisted.

“The evidence is plain before us, it is just for us to see it.”

While the diminutive Maynard admitted to signing several of the documents used during the three-week long trial, he said he did not do so voluntarily.

“How do you sign a statement to say that you voluntarily killed two people?” he asked.

Maynard also argued that there had been several discrepancies throughout the trial, including statements from police officers.

After he finished his summation at 2:26 p.m. Justice Jacqueline Cornelius adjourned the matter until Tuesday at 9:30 a.m., when she will sum up the case.

Principal Crown Counsel Anthony Blackman is leading  the prosecution.

One Response to Trial ends

  1. H Alison Tyson-Davis
    H Alison Tyson-Davis February 13, 2016 at 7:34 am



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *