Four testify

Maynard Murder trial continues

COURT TODAY BLOCKArthur Chadderton’s nephew and daughter both testified today of being at Salters, St George, days after his death, and hearing a man recount the role he played on August 2, 2011.

Albert St John was giving evidence in the No. 5 Supreme Court in the trial of 41-year-old Deon DaCosta Maynard, who is accused of murdering Chadderton and his son-in-law Gerhard Stock on that date.

Both men were shot while at Chadderton’s home in Salters, St George. Stock, his wife and three children were holidaying in Barbados at the time.

Justice Jacqueline Cornelius is presiding over the trial.

St John testified to identifying his uncle’s body at the morgue, in the presence of a coroner and Police Inspector David Griffith.

A few weeks later, on September 1, the witness said he and other family members were at his late uncle’s house when police brought a man there.

He said the man went towards the kitchen, pointed out certain areas, made some statements and apologized for what had happened. He further recalled the man saying that at the time of the incident, he was in the kitchen with children and an old lady and while there, he picked up a knife. The children were screaming and he told them to stop.

Sandra Rogers, Chadderton’s daughter, also took the witness stand today. She told the court of being at her parents’ home when a man was brought there by police officers. “This person described what he did; how he entered the property,” she said.

“Were you close enough to hear what the man was saying?” asked Principal Crown Counsel Anthony Blackman.

“Yes I was,” Rogers replied.

Rogers went on to say that the man explained to police how he crawled through the bush from a neighbour’s property, waited until it was dark and came into the house through the front door.

She said the man further said that he took her mother and nieces into the kitchen but when he heard shots, he ran through the door.

According to the witness, the man said he had no idea what he did with the knife after that and he also apologised, saying he had only gone there for money.

Asked by the prosecutor where the police officers were at the time the man was speaking, Rogers said they were “standing around in the area where he was”.

During cross-examination by accused Maynard, Rogers agreed that she gave a signed statement to police, which included that one man was dark, slim and about 5ft. 5 ins. tall.

The day’s last witness, Sergeant Patrick Bennett, recalled seeing both Arthur Chadderton and Gerhard Stock lying on the livingroom floor when he arrived at the Salters, St George residence.

He was met and taken inside the house by Charles Chadderton, Arthur Chadderton’s brother and neighbour. The elderly man’s body was face down and he noticed what seemed to be blood coming from the left side of the head.   

Meanwhile, Gerhard Stock’s tee-shirt was pulled up around his chest and he was repeatedly saying, “call the ambulance.” Bennett said he saw what looked like a bullet wound under Stock’s left breast.

The lawman said he spoke to ambulance personnel, secured the scene and was still there when the ambulance arrived and left with Stock. He later handed the crime scene over to Sergeant Carlos Lindo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *