The die is cast

Rendezvous, BDFSP to contest Cup final

Rendezvous came from behind with a vengeance to trounce Weymouth Wales 4-1 and secure their place in the final of the Banks Championship Cup where they will come up against the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme (BDFSP).

University of the West Indies were in with a chance after playing so well against BDFSP but a late goal from midfielder Rashad Jules in the second half allowed the soldiers to win the first semi-final encounter 1-0 at the Wildey, St Michael AstroTurf last night.

The crowd turned out in their numbers to see who will go forward and claim this year’s cash prize worth $20 000. They could not have asked for a better match up for the July 12 final than that between BDFSP and Rendezvous. The BDFSP have beaten Premier League leaders Rendezvous twice for the season.

BDFSP midfielder Rashad Jules (left) looks to clear the ball away from the UWI defenders. (Pictures by Morissa Lindsay).
BDFSP midfielder Rashad Jules (left) looks to clear the ball away from the UWI defenders. 

Rendezvous definitely have a score to settle with BDFSP and last night it appeared as though Wales could have deprived them of the opportunity to meet the soldiers in next week’s final showdown.

Wales took an early lead in the ninth minute when Rendezvous goalkeeper Kenyan Lynch brought down defender Jadai Clarke inside the box and referee Trevor Taylor awarded a penalty which was taken by striker Kemar Headley who comfortably netted it past Lynch.

Wales who were the champions last year looked good on the ball and Rendezvous who seem to have lost some form lately were on their toes at the start of the first half chasing Wales. However Rendezvous managed to equalize in the 17th minute when their captain Jeffrey Williams who was busy in the midfield found the back of the nets.

It all started from the left flank with fellow midfielder Carl Joseph who struck the ball over to Narel George on the right flank who played it to Williams inside the 18-yard box and Williams made no mistake as he buried it past Wales’ goalkeeper Bentley Springer.

The playing field was level at 1-1 at the end of the first half and poised for a good second half. When the decisive period commenced Rendezvous were literately handed the lead when Wales’ defender Shawn Clarke tackled Shandel Samuel inside the danger zone and referee Taylor did not waste any time in blowing the whistle and pointing to the spot yet again. George stepped up to take the shot and scored in the 66th minute of play to give Rendezvous the lead 2-1.

Rendezvous striker Shandel Samuel chases after Kemar Bartlett of Weymouth Wales.
Rendezvous striker Shandel Samuel chases after Kemar Bartlett of Weymouth Wales.

Samuel was eventually substituted and Ramano Snagg came on and quickly got in on the action in the 11th minute when Joseph who was on the left sent in a cross inside the box and Snagg eased it past goalkeeper Springer.

Wales definitely needed to pull one out the bag to stay alive but down 3-1 to Rendezvous perhaps needed a miracle and that never materialised. And it seemed whatever coach Randolph Cox instructed from the sideline paid off as Snagg delivered another goal in the 90th minute to bury the opposition.

It was a good move from Snagg down the right flank as he took on Jadai Clarke who he outran, then cut the ball inside and took a shot at goal but was denied by Springer. The dynamic midfielder did not give up and managed to score on the rebound.

In the first semi-final encounter BDFSP defender Rashad Jules became their hero in the 89th minute when he struck a free kick which sailed over UWI’s defence and curled past goalkeeper Tazieo Riley in the back of the net to the delight of their supporters.

(Photographs by Morissa Lindsay)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *