Child Care Board reacts to boy’s death

King and his mother Lasonta Gill in happier times.
Jahan King and his mother Lasonta Gill in happier times.

The Child Care Board (CCB) today in a statement revealed that they were investigating reports of child abuse prior to the death of six-year old Jahan King.

King, who lived at Jackson, St Michael, died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Monday morning in unnatural circumstances.

The statement comes just days after King’s grandmother, Margaret Gill, told Barbados TODAY that as recently as last week she was in a meeting with CCB officials discussing the alleged abuse of her grandson.

“The Board acknowledges that it did receive reports of injuries to the child and that its officers had been actively conducting investigations which were ongoing at the time of his death. The Board is presently undertaking a full review of the matter and gives the public its assurance that it will continue to vigorously execute its stated mandate to offer protection to all children in need of such services,” the CCB said in the statement released by its Chairman Ken Knight.

One of the photographs circulating on social media showing the boy's bruises.
One of the photographs circulating on social media showing the boy’s bruises.

The Board also extended its condolences to King’s family.

Police have already announced that they have launched an investigation into the death of the child.

Below is the full statement released by the Child Care Board today.

CHILD CARE BOARD ISSUES STATEMENT ON JAHAN KING

Chairman of the Child Care Board, Ken Knight, in a statement issued today, has extended condolences to the family of six-year-old Jahan King.

The statement said: The Child Care Board deeply regrets the passing of the child, Jahan King and extends its profound condolences to his family and loved ones.

The Board acknowledges that it did receive reports of injuries to the child and that its officers had been actively conducting investigations which were ongoing at the time of his death.

The Board is presently undertaking a full review of the matter and gives the public its assurance that it will continue to vigorously execute its stated mandate to offer protection to all children in need of such services.”

 

 

 

6 Responses to Child Care Board reacts to boy’s death

  1. Patrick Blackman July 4, 2015 at 3:16 pm

    We will await your full review and hope to be able to review it ourselves.

    Reply
  2. Harry turnover July 4, 2015 at 6:36 pm

    Of course the Board will now tell themselves that they were in the process of investigating before the boy died,obviously to clear their tracks .

    Well,they can’t tell me that,nor can they tell the boys’ grandmother that either.

    Reply
  3. Christopher Springer July 4, 2015 at 11:35 pm

    Pardon my ignorance in this matter. If stringer language could have been used to make a difference then it would have been the case.
    Who is the board there to protect? Themselves or the innocent lives of defenseless children? I believe it was their legal duty to have the child removed from the at the perceived fault for the safety of the child, which comes first, and if after investigations it is determined that the home of interest is not at fault, then you return the child knowing that the child will be safe. The board have failed the Child and in my eyes is guilty of the same crime committed against the Child whom they were supposed to protect.

    Reply
  4. Christopher Springer July 4, 2015 at 11:46 pm

    Correction. It should have read ‘the home at’ and ‘stronger language’ etc…

    Reply
  5. Tony Webster July 5, 2015 at 5:45 am

    A believe that child died ….from apathy. Not from one source…but from several. If I had been at school, and my friend had anything like that face pictured, I would have told my teacher immediately; plus I would have told my parents, who would also have checked ot out. My teachers would have picked up the phone immediately, and either called the police, or taken the child to a doctor. The child’s neighbours likewise. Grenada didn’ty have a Child Care Board, but we had lorts of loving, kind , compassionate RLP’s. Like Real, Live , People, and all knew God.

    This is a monumental shame and tragedy, and is yet another indicator that something awful rotten is in the state of Denmark.

    Reply
  6. Donna July 5, 2015 at 11:01 am

    I totally agree with Christopher Springer and Tony Webster here. The child should have been removed pending investigation. Less harm would have been done and he could have been returned if no abuse was found. People here seem to be more concerned with covering themselves than protecting the children. So are you telling me that they have to have PROOF rather than reasonable suspicion of abuse or reasonable evidence of abuse in order to remove the child? Well I guess they have their proof now.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *