Not her fault

Irate parent to take her concerns to the Ministry of Education

Upset over the comments made by her daughter’s teacher on Facebook, the mother of a second form student of the Graydon Sealy Secondary School says she will be taking her concerns to the Ministry of Education tomorrow.

Laura Grant-Hall, who is the mother of Leilani Grant-Grace, had earlier taken to the social media platform to share a copy of a letter, dated April 29, 2015, in which she expressed concern that her daughter had received “double punishment”, in the form of lashes from the principal and detention, for failure to complete a project even though she had explained that there was no ink in the printer at home.

lauraletter_8715 lauraletter_8716 lauraletter_8717

“Leilani did the project but was unable to print the items because I have no ink in the printer,” the mother explained in her letter, addressed to the school’s principal, and posted on Facebook.

She further complained that her daughter had been given “double punishment” for something that she had no control over.

“Leilani is a student. She has no job, so she has to wait on me to buy ink,” the mother said. “So in my eyes maybe you should have lashed me, [as] the parent [who] is supposed to provide ink”.

“How can you both lash and give detention, since her failure to print the project is my fault?, she asked.

Graydon Sealy principal Beverly Bancroft
Graydon Sealy principal Beverly Bancroft

When contacted this evening, the mother told Barbados TODAY that the matter had since been resolved to her satisfaction and that the principal Beverly Bancroft had given a commitment that Leilani would be given a flash drive to submit her outstanding project by tomorrow.

However, the mother said she was taken aback by comments made by one of her daughter’s teacher, who she said had told her daughter she did not want any excuses and had referred the matter to the principal on Friday April 24, 2015.

“On her Facebook page, [the teacher] is saying that I visited New York recently and could not buy ink, pens and paper. I do not know what that has to do with her. She took the time to go on her Facebook Page identifying what I did. That is time she could have taken to assist the child in having the project printed,” an upset Grant-Hall argued.

“My issue now is [the teacher’s] behaviour on Facebook. Yes, I went on Facebook and posted the letter I wrote. She saw it fit to respond via Facebook but it is her response and subsequent comments that I have a problem with, seeing that my child has to go and sit in her class tomorrow.”

The irate parent is therefore threatening to go to the Ministry of Education tomorrow to lodge a complaint against the teacher whose behaviour has been called into question.

She told Barbados TODAY that even though the teacher had since removed all of her comments from Facebook, she had copies of the comments in her possession.

She also threatened to seek legal advice on her child’s behalf.

106 Responses to Not her fault

1. Lucia Aniela Parris
    Lucia Aniela Parris April 30, 2015 at 10:02 am

Very silly move teacher… Sometimes you’ve got to bite the bullet… You should’ve let the parent stay in the wrong… I saw this coming.

2. Tiffany Jones
    Tiffany Jones April 30, 2015 at 10:05 am

Had the parent visited the School from inception (I remember when this actually use to happen), this whole mess could have been avoided. If having no ink was genuinely the issue, couldn’t the School’s Computer Lab be utilized to print the assignment? Did the assignment need to be done on a computer or could it be done by hand? Part of the letter was an attempt to ‘attack’ the teacher, so why shouldn’t she respond to clear her name via the same Facebook which was used to ‘tarnish’ it? This letter should never have been posted on Facebook, there is a right way to do things.

• Baj Beau
      Baj Beau April 30, 2015 at 10:52 am

In 2015 NO ONE has an excuse for not printing anything. TOO MUCH technology and printers bout de place. Last time i check EVERYBODY knows AT LEAST 1 person who can print stuff even if for a small fee(education comes with a price). The time spent writing the letter 3 and 4 times could have been spend looking for some where to print. 4 weeks and you aint find anywhere???? Hhhmmmm
      I agree, the child should not have been double punished but the question stands; what exactly did the child say was the problem? Did we get a direct quote from the child to teacher or did we get from what the child said to the parent. SOMETIMES children play their parents because the child knows how the parent will react. Furthermore it is down right tacky and juvenile to use facebook to get your point across. Civil speech has died?? Do we as parents nit now yet how to solve a problem without inviting others through out actions to jump on the bandwagon?? What position has this action put the child in?? Are all who come in contact with this going to embrace it or will they have a hands off approach???

Just thinking out loud.

• Tiffany Jones
      Tiffany Jones April 30, 2015 at 10:56 am

Yeah, I definitely don’t agree with the double punishment; I think that should be investigated but I agree with you about the alternatives and everything 100%. Baj Beau

• Adrian Richards
      Adrian Richards April 30, 2015 at 12:28 pm

def not on Facebook …a mythical place where everyone knows everything

3. Lady Jay
    Lady Jay April 30, 2015 at 10:07 am

and i was waiting for it when i saw the reply from the teacher didn’t think she should respond on facebook

4. Krystal Chase
    Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 10:11 am

Back when I was going to school, this silly, flimsy excuse of not having ink would’ve NEVER worked!!! I blame the parent in this situation. Whatever happened the old-fashioned method of WRITING???

• Sisi Kitty Greenidge
      Sisi Kitty Greenidge April 30, 2015 at 10:13 am

I here looking at the response.

• Tiffany Jones
      Tiffany Jones April 30, 2015 at 10:14 am

I can’t understand the excuse of no ink. In school I didn’t always have a printer…so I use to beg to have stuff printed or have it done in the Computer Lab. Even when I was at UWI I use to PAY .25c to to have stuff printed…I couldn’t tell the tutor I had no ink…. would have been a straight 0. Stupse.

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:20 am

Tiffany your comment is complete bull. This child is in secondary school.

• Candice Elenor
      Candice Elenor April 30, 2015 at 10:21 am

This whole dam thing is crazy…getting beat up over nonsense

• Tiffany Jones
      Tiffany Jones April 30, 2015 at 10:22 am

And so was I Alisa! In SECONDARY SCHOOL I didn’t always have a printer and I had it done at school, begged someone or did the assignments BY HAND. Learn to read.

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 10:25 am

The child was provided with a flash drive to save her work. All if not, most schools are provided with a computer lab and are always accessible by students. This is NO excuse!!! You mean to tell me that in 4+ weeks she could not find one single printer to do this project?? This parent’s letter and excuse is absolute BS!

• Dacachi April 30, 2015 at 12:11 pm

So Krystal Chase how are you going to submit it in writing when the teacher specifically asked to have it printed and gave you no alternative.

• Lëëlëë BrewsEdwards
      Lëëlëë BrewsEdwards April 30, 2015 at 10:26 am

Yall ppl coming with this is secondary school and not uwi… what is secondary school preparing you for alisa… at the end of the day it’s all the same. SCHOOL!!! SOME OF YOU PPL NEED TO THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK OR WRITE

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 30, 2015 at 10:26 am

It’s true …the excuse is flimsy… But the teach compromised her own defense by reacting and getting personal… That’s not smart

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:30 am

My comment was well thought out actually. The issue is between the parent and the teacher. Should the assignment been written by hand?! YES! Should the child have been beaten for the parent’s lack of funds or negligence?! NO! Your UWI comparison is misplaced!

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 10:38 am

Primary, secondary or tertiary is not the issue at hand. The point is that if this parent was really concerned about her daughter’s education, she would have gone beyond the boundaries to ensure that this project was completed.

My 5 year old (reception aged) daughter brought home a project recently that had to be printed and pictures were to be cut out of magazines. In my lack of printer and relevant magazines, I helped her WRITE every single thing AND replaced magazine cut outs with OUR OWN FREE HAND DRAWINGS. No excuses where my daughter’s education is concerned.

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:40 am

Krystal I agree 100%. Once again, I still think that the negligence of the parent should not result in the punishment of the child.

• Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
      Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

between the parent and teacher?

• Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
      Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

stupse

• Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
      Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

who going school?

• Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
      Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 10:45 am

the child should’ve get her ass up. go to the library or post office or sheraton or one of the MILLION places in Barbados that would print 25cents a page and print the foolish project. This child will learn no responsibility whatsoever. Next time the teacher tell me something i don’t like, let me running to mummy and complain on Facebook. You watch.

• Daniel Polonis
      Daniel Polonis April 30, 2015 at 10:54 am

how do you write a photo of the PM or write a detailed skeleton?…not everyone has access to your resources.

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 10:56 am

You draw!!!!

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 11:14 am

Then maybe she should have gone to the school and explain her situation and seek other alternatives. No excuses where education is concerned.

• Amanda Honk Honk Boyce
      Amanda Honk Honk Boyce April 30, 2015 at 11:35 am

Didn’t she asked if her daughter could draw it out on paper? I use to find a library because my school had problem with ink and paper. I had to beg my friends if that didn’t work, I wrote my projects on paper.

• MATT April 30, 2015 at 11:42 am

You were probably back in school donkey years ago, times have changed dear.
      The mother did accept responsibility.
      Obviously writing it was not an option, hence they gave the kid a flash drive to copy her project on.

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 11:48 am

I have read the teacher’s response and I still stand firm that the parent needs the lashes for being negligent. Negligent for not finding alternatives and negligent for not teaching lessons in responsibility to her child.

• Nakita Xiv Iniestaxavivilla
      Nakita Xiv Iniestaxavivilla April 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I think the parent is annoyed with her child receiving double punishment but as bajans we LOVE to look at the negative…… even IF she simply said ‘I ain doing it’ choose to lash her or give her detention. NOT BOTH!

5. Michelle Smith-Mayers
    Michelle Smith-Mayers April 30, 2015 at 10:17 am

Wow. How is it that we do not teach our children to take responsibility for their actions. The parents said it was HER fault and will take the lashes and detention for the child. Are we suppose to love our children so much that we do not teach them to meet commitments and accept responsibility for actions? Why do we think that we should toss away all lessons that we learnt as children and swaddle our children uintil they grow into helpless adults? WHY is this even news!!!????

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:23 am

Responsibility for what?! Not having a job?! Dumbest comment EVER! Have several seats!

• Michelle Smith-Mayers
      Michelle Smith-Mayers April 30, 2015 at 10:32 am

You are a former UWI student? I am not agreeing with the choice of punishment or the fact that the teacher took to social media. If ink was the problem there must have been a solution and it is not good enough not to find the solution. That is what life is all about. Could the assignment have been hand written. Maybe a friend could have helped with the printing? Maybe the student could have teken the file, explained the lack of ink and asked for assistance to get it printed? While I do not believe that lashing the child was necessary, children have to learn commitment and responsibility. And parents shielding and protecting them from that impacts on the adult they grow up to be. You went to UWI, so I am sure you understand this.

• Lëëlëë BrewsEdwards
      Lëëlëë BrewsEdwards April 30, 2015 at 10:40 am

Who’s responsibility is the work tho. If not the student

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 11:01 am

Responsibility for the work…the child. Provisions and resources for the child…the parent! I say lash de friggin parent!

6. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor April 30, 2015 at 10:18 am

O my good lord..they still beat the kids in Barbados. .I thought this sort of thing was done with ever since…this is terrible..

7. Dre Forde
    Dre Forde April 30, 2015 at 10:18 am

She could have gone many places n get it print

8. Alisa Cox-West
    Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:19 am

These comments are absolutely foolish. Bottom line is the problem is between two adults; the parent and the teacher. The child does not work and should not have been punished for the parent’s lack of funds or simple negligence. POINT, BLANK, PERIOD! To the person commenting about what they did at UWI, your point is misplaced and invalid! As a former UWI student I was old enough to work and provide myself with ink. This child is not! The assignment should have been done by hand as an alternative in my opinion, however, lashing the child does not address the fact that the child does not have ink at home.

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 10:33 am

“Furthermore, it’s 2015, who writes?”???? In this case if she could not afford ink she should have written it out!!! That’s the problem with this society today. We have become so dependent on technology that is it not readily available, we forget the old-fashioned method which seldom fails us!

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:33 am

Completely agreed Reba Granger! Which is why I stated that the problem is between the parent and the teacher!

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:34 am

Agreed Krystal Chase! Once again, the problem is between the parent and the teacher!

• Tiffany Jones
      Tiffany Jones April 30, 2015 at 10:48 am

Exactly Krystal Chase! The only thing I have an issue with is the child being punished twice. And again Alisa, I referred to both Secondary school and UWI, so my comparison is not misplaced. Also, all of us were not working while at UWI btw.

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:51 am

Not working and not having the opportunity to work are two different things. My issue has been and remains that the child is being punished for the negligence of the parent.

9. Devonte Mccollin
    Devonte Mccollin April 30, 2015 at 10:24 am

TEACHER THAT RESPONDED VIA FACEBOOK PUT HER OWN SELF IN JEOPARDY

10. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha April 30, 2015 at 10:25 am

1. she posted this on facebook mentioning the teachers name for what reason.

11. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha April 30, 2015 at 10:35 am

2.why didnt she go to the school and inquire in the first place about the assignment since the teacher said nothing was presented at al after 4 weeks given to do it 3. she gave updates as they happened to the public about what the senior teacher said etc etc 4. this sounds like a publicity stunt 4. the teacher in question followed th correct procedured for dealing with an issue with a child since she was sent to the senior official of the school and that alone takes the teacher out of the equation 5. when you posted this facebook and metioned pplz names that is liable for defamation of character since you dont ms chase personally and you are not her family or friend 6. why did the other students make their projects with the assistance of the teacher but yours didnt 7. do you think you cannot make such accusations on social media and not expect some of rebuttal with 500+ shares and persons from overseas contacting the same person inquiring about what she did and even walking up to her in person. 8. she was actually being nice in her response because she never once mentioned your name or alluded to the fact that you did not supervise your child’s homework 9. just becuase she is a teacher doesnt mean she cant defend herself, thats her right as a human being 10. your’e dismissed

12. Movement of Concerned Citizens
    Movement of Concerned Citizens April 30, 2015 at 10:36 am

It’s time to END the backward behavior of corporal punishment of children. Come on this is 2015 and we are supposed to be a civilized society. We cannot speak about ending violence against women in one breath and then think that it’s okay to practice corporal punishment against children. Are we missing the point here? Don’t we see the linkage. http://www.endcorporalpunishmentcaribbean.org/

13. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson April 30, 2015 at 10:36 am

I think running out of ink is a valid excuse. I too have ran out of ink and have emailed the teacher to find out if I can email the project to her and she print it out or send it in the next day. Lashing a child for this is totally unacceptable. The child has no control if the parent buys ink or not.

• Julia Robinson
      Julia Robinson April 30, 2015 at 11:52 am

Ink is really expensive…2 weeks ago I purchased ink and it cost $45US so i can imagine how much it cost in Bdos.

• Tammy Sweets
      Tammy Sweets April 30, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Library in town is open 6 days a week.

14. Alisa Cox-West
    Alisa Cox-West April 30, 2015 at 10:38 am

So the negligence of a parent should result in the punishment of the child?! Help me understand this ppl because all I am reading in these comments is complete bull. Pretty sure if the children of some of you who are commenting were to receive lashes for your negligence, they would be in critical condition at QEH! Smh

15. Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
    Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 10:39 am

this mother is full of crap. Anyone who agrees with her needs to go back to School. The teacher is absolutely correct for showing her up. In NY doing the dog but can’t spend 25cents at the Public Library to print a project? Steps. This is why the youth of today in Barbados behaving the way they are.

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 30, 2015 at 12:08 pm

U clearly don’t know the laws governing civil servants… Both people were immature in this situation.

• Ashleigh Faye Trotman
      Ashleigh Faye Trotman April 30, 2015 at 12:23 pm

You know Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne I don’t even care that she went away. None of this undue attention would be happening if the mother hadn’t taken to social media to complain instead of dealing with this matter the right way. You don’t have time/ink to print but you have time to get on Fb? Stupse.

• Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne
      Marius Hawk-Bass Charlemagne April 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Teachers are still humans will make mistakes. Lucia Aniela Parris especially if the person is threatening their lively hood.

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 30, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Marius there are laws against taking matters into ones own hands… From. What I read, the letter in no way threatened the teachers livelihood! What it may have threatened is her ego and that’s never a good thing to respond to… Her response was childish and too personal!

16. Watchman April 30, 2015 at 10:39 am

I wish dem would beat my child over foolishness like drama.
    STUPES.

17. David Gibson
    David Gibson April 30, 2015 at 10:40 am

look the child gave an excuse , if the teacher wasn’t satisfied she shouldv’e contacted the child’s parents , she got detention ,why lashes too.??? as far as i am concerned the punishment does not fit the crime.

• Deon Mayers
      Deon Mayers April 30, 2015 at 11:23 am

based on reading both the parent and teachers responses and some of the parents comments on fbk. I think she got lashes for disrespect. Attitude seems to be the issue.

18. Julianne Springer April 30, 2015 at 10:41 am

The teacher had no right posting it on facebook.

19. Julie Leenders
    Julie Leenders April 30, 2015 at 10:42 am

Bloody primitive old fashioned school system here, no one has to right to touch anyone’s child, the mother in this case even explained the situation , I would take her from that school immediately , if the private schools here cannot hit children( I know this as that’s the reason my friends put her child in one) then how come the public schools can … Once again the poorer people always get the worst deal and it’s wrong

• Kimberley Gaskin
      Kimberley Gaskin April 30, 2015 at 11:53 am

And she will go to the private school and carry the same attitude, and that is she has to interest in deadlines, nd blatant disrespect for the school system….. The only difference is when she’s at private school and fails, the parent’s pocket will feel it….. I get the impression that the child repeated to her teacher the manner of speech she heard at home.

• Julie Leenders
      Julie Leenders April 30, 2015 at 11:58 am

Kimberley I don’t and never would agree to anyone hitting my children but me or there father ( not that we ever did) just what gives someone the right to lay there hands on your kids , the systems well outdated and should come up to date

• Julie Leenders
      Julie Leenders April 30, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Shanika u r SOOO right, when my oldest son was in middle school in England his teacher picked constantly on him (he is mixed race) and the African boy in the class , the rest were white, I confronted her on this to her and the headmistress telling them that she shouldn’t be a teacher if she was prejudiced … He moved classes after that and I believe she stopped but yes this does def go on and favouritism with certain kids … She never laid a finger on my child ( because you are not allowed to ) but if she had I would probably served a prison sentence …NO ONE is hitting my kids , even my mother wouldn’t dream of it she would tell me if they had done something wrong

• Kimberley Gaskin
      Kimberley Gaskin April 30, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I got nuff licks when I was small, I turned out just fine, I hardly lash my daughter now however, and by hardly I mean twice since she was born. I went to Queen’s College, and there was no corporal punishment there… I just find people are fixated on the lashes, which from reading both the letter and the teacher’s response, I feel it was what that child said that got her lashes, not the fact that the work was not done…. The mother instead of presenting herself to the school, told the child to tell the teacher she will bring it when her mother gets ink (summing up what the mother wrote)…. The school allows for lashing by senior teacher or principal, so no one beat up the child in this case…. This whole issue is a careless parent…. And the thing is that out of this, other teachers may now shun this child, because the thought process will be “yuh know yuh can’t tell her anything cuz she has an igrant mother “….. If this is the attitude towards work and assignments, I shudder to think how she will survive in a work force… I’ve said today, it is our responsibility as parents to ensure any and all assignments are completed and submitted, even if we have to go to Halifax to ensure its done…. If it’s not done it’s the child who will be punished, so at the end of the day, we have to take responsibility, not castigate teachers for exercising discipline…..I have had an issue of my daughter being lashed at school and because I felt it was unjust, I met with the teacher and we discussed, the matter was resolved with an apology to the child….. For me when my daughter says I got lashes, my first question is, what did you do?…. Her explanation determines how I handle the matter after.

• Adrian M Chase
      Adrian M Chase April 30, 2015 at 2:40 pm

It’s the law, why blame the school?

20. Watchman April 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

Seriously though, issue de nought and done, is drama . If it was a proper subject I could understand the pursuit of punishment to such a degree.
    I always remember that time I didn’t get a job because I failed drama. NOT.
    Stupes.

21. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha April 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

11. god help this child when she enters the workforce and she has to submit work by a given date 12. ignorance is wounded up in the heart of a child thats why they need to be corrected not reinforce the ignorance 13. ms chase and all other teachers dont have the time to take out anything on anyone’s kids, we are grown men and women 14. god got this 15. the truth will always come out 16. the other students work was handmade and handed in with assistance from the same teacher and it look gooooooood..16. your kids probably fed you some bs 17 . who is the person that gave her this oppurtunity to have it in the paper but didnt post the teacher’s very classy unbajalike response 18. fix it jesus

22. Alphonso Elijah
    Alphonso Elijah April 30, 2015 at 10:44 am

If an assignment was given by any teacher, would that teacher ever considered how many students have access to a computer and printing material? Why couldn’t that child submitted their project vai email or a usb flash drive. This whole issue was never an issue. What is lacking at all of these learning institutions is the “humanity” we are lacking humanity and this is at all levels in society, we have no Humanity, Education without humanity is is Inhumane full stop. This issue should have never reach to this level unless this Teacher has an Axe to grind.
    Thus as any parent who has a child would protect their children come hard or soft.

23. crystal April 30, 2015 at 10:53 am

wha write by hand wah? my time of school was early 2000 and teachers don’t take assignments handwritten nomore so go and come again. it is nonsense cause everybody don’t have and people don’t do nothing fa nabody in this time namore

24. BrooklynStake Shortt
    BrooklynStake Shortt April 30, 2015 at 10:57 am

When I am out of ink, my child email her projects to the teacher who prints it out on the school’s print and grades it. Full credit! Because the parent travels to NYC, does not indicate that she has a computer or printer at home. What rubbish! Lashes for incomplete homework is unacceptable. LASHES period are unacceptable! Who sends their kid to school for another person to execute corporal punishment. If the child does something wrong, the parent should be asked to come to the school, so a solution can be worked out.. what kind of rubbish is this… Hitting the lady’s child! If the child does not submit the homework via email or hard copy, then she should receive a zero grade, problem solved! Why are they beating the woman’s child! In addition she has an explanation for why the homework was not submitted. If this was my child heads would roll! Hitting is a big NO!NO!

25. Angela Maynard April 30, 2015 at 11:09 am

It is about time that teachers in B’dos stop abusing children. I agree with everything that this mother is saying. It is indeed a double punishment. Instead of whipping the woman’s child, you could have reached out and help the child in the first place. I am 64 years of age, and I have not forgotten how badly children was abused in my era. Certainly, myself and my siblings did not suffer that kind of abuse, because my mother just did not allow anyone to take advantage of her children. and by the way, we all turned out to be decent human beings. I am truly glad that I did not have to raise my child in Barbados, because all like now I will be still be incarcerated. Lady don’t only threatened to seek legal advice, go ahead and do it. This madness needs to stop. Slavery has been abolished, and it is time to get rid of that learned behavior.

26. Nyah April 30, 2015 at 11:12 am

I reposted the parent’s letter because I too as a parent get complaints from my children on the manner in which some teachers treat them in classrooms…… I was accused of jumping on a band wagon. I have no intentions of belittling the educators of this country BUT i will say children have RIGHTS too.

27. Debra Dior
    Debra Dior April 30, 2015 at 11:14 am

there was no reason to hit that child

28. King April 30, 2015 at 11:17 am

News flash! Ink in NY or any other state is expensive. I personally think it is a rip off. Use it or not, you loose it because it dries over a period of time. Parent says it best. School should be equipped with small computer and printing room that kids can be charge a small fee to print projects. Get up to the time Board of Ed…

29. Nico Hl Beckles
    Nico Hl Beckles April 30, 2015 at 11:20 am

there seems to be something that both sides aren’t telling however if i didn’t do my assignment and I get detention so be it but if i get licks too and after that ya still want de assignment well cawblenn wait on it

30. Katrina P Lewis
    Katrina P Lewis April 30, 2015 at 11:25 am

This said teacher seems too have a series of problems, why did they hit the child for?

31. Nyah April 30, 2015 at 11:26 am

My son was given a failing grade in Spanish because he wrote his assignment in the wrong book….he did do the assignment, He explained that he could not find the correct textbook to write in so he used his other alternative. Ok would you believe the shocked my son received at the end of the term when the same teacher miraculously called him to his desk and gave him his book that the assignment was supposed to be written in that he had found in his desk…….

32. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris April 30, 2015 at 11:26 am

I bet them people that saying poor excuse, if it was their child they won’t be saying so.

33. Shawna April 30, 2015 at 11:42 am

The Public Library has a facility to print at a minimum cost as a option for future cases if it should come up.

34. Michael Griffith April 30, 2015 at 11:46 am

I believe before persons comment.They need to know and rationally examine the facts.

Teachers do not accept handwritten projects unless in dire circumstances so this crap about “back in the day” thus blame the parent is ridiculous.
    Handwritten projects are not the accepted norm
    The parent acknowledged that she must be held responsible for the lack of ink..
    Secondly the primary issue was not the project but the “bullying” by the teacher in dishing out two punishments for the same offence.
    Thirdly when is it professional for a teacher to verbally attack a parent on social media?By all means defend an accusation levelled at you but to comment so erratically reeks of the bashment mentality so rampant today.

35. Headley Kym
    Headley Kym April 30, 2015 at 12:16 pm

@ Krystal Chase..just remember alot of ppl in Barbados are unemployed. ..something so simple as ink cost money….Some ppl can’t even give there kids lunch money ,far less something to eat when there get home from school..we on the outside can talk n say the parent this n the parent that …but remember this….”who wearing the shoe knows how tight it feels”.

• Krystal Chase
      Krystal Chase April 30, 2015 at 12:20 pm

My dear, I too am unemployed. That is why when I faced a similar situation to this one a couple weeks ago, I assisted my daughter in writing and drawing out everything. As I said before, no excuses where education is concerned.

36. Mrs Downes April 30, 2015 at 12:16 pm

The idea that a child was beaten AND given detention for something where a failing grade would suffice AND for DRAMA!!!! no less! The punitive ideas that we have about society has to change. Additionally, the idea that a TEACHER would respond to such an incident via SOCIAL media, when there exists official media is simply unbelievable AND to get personal about the parent too?! Such a teacher would have been recruited from within our society, I guess that behaviour is indicative of what will be the new norms of modern society. Teachers have hard jobs yes, but they chose the profession. If you get to a place where you cannot perform at the standard necessary, there is no shame in moving on like regular people. And yes! I read the teacher’s online response and it was CRAZY! It was tantamount to an attempt to shame the child by posting the and the parent! Personally I have always felt like the teacher in question over-shares on social media and lacks online discipline because of the pull of the perceived limelight. This is not the first time she’s been caught up in scandal because of her social media use. Unfortunately she is often spurred on by a peanut gallery. But as the old people use to say, “who help yuh buy big guts calf doan help yuh feed it.” Hopefully this situation is resolved amicably and the teacher in question practices self discipline on social media. I can just imagine airing out my clients’ business on social media! Students are a teacher’s clients….

37. Tracy Holdipp
    Tracy Holdipp April 30, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Kimmy Sweets I agree with u 100%… People always quick to judge because that shoe is not on their feet.. For me whether the lady went N.Y, Halifax or Norway it was none of the teacher’s business..if she prefer not to buy ink it,s still her business.. I find that these teachers sits down and check the parents business a bit to much and because they might see a child with brand name shoes and bags they like to make it their business a bit too much.. If a parent chooses to buy brand or whatever over the child’s necessities its nobody’s business but the parent.. Keep out of the people business just plain and simple.. I had an issue with a teacher at a primary school where my daughter goes, she told my child because she’s wearing brand name shoe and bag that she don’t rule the school.. Imagine when my daughter has projects hers are done with my ink and hers are usually the best because her projects has to be presented with every detail, when there are donations I send whatever I have too and surplus, school fees are paid every beginning of the term, when tours or anything thing else comes up her monies are usually the first to be paid, when they are activities going on I’m spending money, she’s not a bad behave child but yet teachers see her as a treat. I had to tell the principal its not my child that is responsible for what she has because she can’t go into town on her own and buy stuff neither does she work so if teachers got a problem direct it to me or her god-father that is responsible for buying the stuff for her… Parents need to know what’s important for their children and the teachers also need to mind their own business, and wanna people that loves to comment a lot of negative stuff needs to know exactly what had happened and what’s happening before u try dragging down people.

38. Jay Mac April 30, 2015 at 12:36 pm

It is better to hear both sides before drawing a conclusion.

Couldn’t the eventual outcome not have been arrived at in the first place without the Facebook “drama”?

39. Adessa Heywood
    Adessa Heywood April 30, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Poor excuse my daughter goes to de library to get all her stuff print for a small fee

40. René Holder
    René Holder April 30, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I’m not going to get into the whole no ink issue but deal with what Ms Chase did. As a professional and teacher Ms Chase should have never posted or committed on social media about this matter or about the Mothers personal life. She is wrong for doing so and should be reprimanded for her actions. In some places this could be seen as grounds for dismissal.

41. Basil April 30, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I can understand the child’s and the parent’s initial predicament. However, one week or more of detention AFTER and still no ink in the printer could no longer be an excuse. It should have been printed elsewhere by then. For the Principal to give her lashes on top of the detention and so far into that first punishment is INEXCUSABLE! At that point at the latest, the parent should have been contacted by the Principal in an effort to get to the bottom of the problem. For the child’s teacher to write about it, shaming the child, on Facebook is INEXCUSABLE, UNETHICAL IRRESPONSIBLE and very CHILDISH. If, as it appears, she has had similar problems before, re writing about her students negatively on Facebook, the Ministry needs to let hr know that any recurrence of this behaviour will result in immediate dismissal. All three adults involved in this matter have acted irresponsibly and immaturely at different stages. It is a sad commentary on how immature and irresponsible our society has become. The only victim in this is the child.

42. Randolph Sobers April 30, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Poor Child, she is the one that would be in school and need the teacher. so please Ms Teacher don’t neglect that child. Both of you to carried the blame.

43. greg April 30, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Ms Grant-Hall, I feel your pain, but it is you who started the facebook dialog so you will have to accept the response, but, I think that Ms Chase need to be closely monitored to make sure she does not victimize your daughter, and tell your daughter not to be drawn into any altercations with her but give her all the respect that her post requires.

44. Tony Waterman April 30, 2015 at 10:45 pm

@All!!!! i did not read all the Comments, but from those that i have read, i will make a comment as i see it.
    first off The Teachert is WRONG, and i will tell you why i think this way, being a teacher is not really all about Reading, writing, and rithmatic, it is also about instilling,good practices in your charges, why did it take the Principal’s intervention to solve the whole issue(albeit after the facebook intervention) by loaning the student a zip drive, why did the teacher not think of that, she thought of referring to the Mothers trip to NY, which has Absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand. i also get the distinct feeling that the Teacher Doubted the Student, in my day the Teacher would have communicated with my parents to see what was going on, but i guess there is not that much dedication in the Teaching Profession anymore, ((except for Jeff Broomes.))
    It was just unfortunate that this whole episode had to reach facebook, but one cannot deny that, this was possibly why the issue was solved so quickly after that Social media intervention, sudnly everyone at that school wanted to come out smelling Roses.

45. sunnygal April 30, 2015 at 11:00 pm

what strikes me as interesting (and disturbing at the same time) is that the majority of you believe this story and everything quoted in the letter. LOL!! Can you quote me where the teacher said that the mother goes to New York? Heck! Can any of you quote anything from the teacher’s response? I have read it.

This child and her mother simply did not want to do the assignment given cause if they did they would have found a way. This mother is a spiteful b****. Hope she is happy cause no one will want to touch her nor her daughter with a ten-foot pole, not even you people who are agreeing with her. Look at the lengths she would go to.
    A dead-line is a dead-line. That is why we can’t get s*** done in is island. Cause of the mentality that people have that the rules are never for them. You do children no favours by accommodating their mediocrity.

46. Ormond Mayers May 1, 2015 at 12:26 am

The Principal is wrong to punish the child . If she was my child, the Principal would had to answer to me. Corporal punishment is not the way of encouraging students to do school work.

Everybody including the Government, is having financial challenges. Hence, the Principal should be more understanding and humane, in reaching out to the child, in assisting with getting the project done.

The principal has abuse her authority, in addition to being cruel.
    The child mother offer a valid reason for the project not being completed.

I am of the firm view, if this child was from a certain class , the principal would think twice.

• Ormond Mayers May 1, 2015 at 12:42 am

What is mind boggling, the action of the principal after having inflicting the punishment, gave the child a flash drive, to ensure her project is completed. That shows as a principal, you have very poor judgment.

I respectfully suggest to you, with the changing environment, you need to exercise more restraint , when dealing with people children. Every parent is not going to respond like the child’s mother.

47. dwayne jordan May 1, 2015 at 2:47 am

Had a situation in primary school where head mistress beat my 6 year old daughter for getting to school late, my daughter was a very shy and quiet girl never ever would she do any wrong and dependent on me to get her to school, as you know,,i didnt take to kindly to that head mistress hitting ny child,bc I never once had to hit my daughter,in any event all corporal punishment needs abolishing and I cant wait til someone wins some big bucks again the ministry to stop this madness.

As it relates to this case, when it got personal for both teacher and parent all logic went through the window and the cat paws came out, the head teacher needs to pay more attention instead of just meeting out punishment that really does not fit the crime,
    All the teacher had ro do with student is contact parent and insist that assignment be printed or finding a solution to having it printed instead of going to fb.

48. Linda May 3, 2015 at 9:13 am

I can’t believe the BS I have read. Our society has loss all respect for authority. Everybody wants to take matters in their hands and expect our children to be better.

49. nanci November 21, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I thought the headmistress went overboard in beating the child, since the child said there is no ink, why beat the child for that. Ink in barbados cost too much money anyway. I think some teachers think they are to be held at this high esteem. I dont know what they training them at the college over there, but some of them need to get off their high horses, and realize they were kids too. I saw a teacher in the library downtown taking and teaching some small kids, her voice was way too loud. Her voice level should be the same level as the kids. These teachers need to realize, they are there to serve kids. A high pitch voice like that, is commanding control. I think at Erdiston college, teachers should learn some human psychology, that way they would teach kids how to connect to other human beings, no wonder kids coming out of school so angry, and no where to go to get further learning. Also because teachers can lash the kids, it dont mean you can just slap a child, and beat it up like that, thats humiliation. Who gave these teachers so much authority to spill out their anger on kids like that. If I were the parent, I would demand the teacher and head mistress contact me first before abusing my child, cause thats plain and simple abuse. Thats why also there is a generation of adults are so rude, if you go to the library or other places, some of the clerks or whoever are so rude, they talk to you while not looking at you, and they brush you off, if you ask a question. Its because they dont teach etiquette and good manners in the schools, its all about beatings, and yelling and shouting. Its diminishing the children self esteem. Why is the government not putting some regulations of beatings, and leather straps, the teacher need to leave those straps at home, because no one could not beat my child with a leather strap, thats slave mentality in the teachers minds.

50. nanci November 21, 2015 at 1:01 pm

adrian chase, that was a very ignorant comment to make, all kids dont bring to school guns, and they are many guns in barbados also, crimes, robbings, stealing, house invasions, barbados is not the nice place anymore, but I think when anything bad happen, barbados compare themselves to the US. There are no beatings in schools in the US, because thats not the way to handle the situation. Schools have printers, computers, flash drives, etc for the kids to use, and believe you me, most kids in US schools are more respectable than some kids in barbados. Even the adults, some of them who work in offices or places of business, have no people or communication skills. Where did the breakdown come from, the homes and the schools. Some kids need lashed, but the teachers and head mistress need to look at the situation, and also many kids leave home on mornings without breakfast, or they could have some kind of medical problems, you never know, so beating a child can be a very traumatic experience, so when you guys talking about the US schools, yes they have problems, but the child would have all those equipment in the schools, and breakfast on mornings, and lunch, free of cost.

51. nanci November 21, 2015 at 1:10 pm

also it was none of the teacher’s business where the mother go, I also heard teachers can curse out the kids in barbados, and still keep their jobs. Once they are appointed, the union fight for them, and they get to keep their jobs, and dont care. I know many kids who were forced out of school by teachers, but moved on and got an education outside of school. The minstry have a long way to go to better the schools in barbados. They only acknowledge the older secondary schools, or if the parents are middle class or rich parents, but if you are poor, you have no chance. I once heard a school girl said, a teacher told her, no wonder you mother gone to the US and leave you over here, now that is not the business of the teacher, or her concern. Their concern is to teacher the kids, and demand respect, and give back respect. Also whats up with the male teachers having relationships with the school girls, but still get to keep their jobs, but they want to compare the schools to US schools? In the US, people need to realize a child can go to a school outside his or her district, and a child only spend 4 or 5 years at one school, because its elementary, middle and then high school, so any bad teacher you wont have for a long time, and you can also go to another school in your area or district. So barbados now its independence, clean up your act, because you not the so call gem of the carribbean anymore, only for the rich and middle class, thats what I observe, and I am a bajan.