St Lucy shooting victim left home to buy a razor

What started out as a regular visit to the village shop turned tragic around 5:45p.m. for a household in Broomefield #1, St Lucy yesterday afternoon when 40-year-old Wayne Albert was shot and killed by an assailant.

When a Barbados TODAY team visited Albert’s home in that northern parish today, his companion for the past eight years, Ernesta Broomes, was still trying to come to terms with news of his untimely passing.

She recalled Albert, a former security guard who was recently laid off, had left home to buy a razor to shave his face from a shop in Maycock’s Terrace when he was shot near a bus stop on his way back home.

IMG_8983

So far no one has been arrested by police in connection with his killing.

However, a clearly shaken Broomes, said she was at a loss as to why anyone would want to take Albert’s life. To her, the shooting victim was “a nice, quiet person, who never got into any trouble with anyone”.

“He never limed on the block, just worked and returned home,” she said.

2albert 3albert

Broomes said that since she learned of the untimely death of her companion she was trying to stay in the company of family members and friends because when she is alone she thinks about his tragic death.

She said Albert, who was born in Barbados to a St Lucian mother and later emigrated to the United States with her before returning here, is the father of two children who reside in the US.

He was also the main breadwinner in his St Lucy household.

Asked how she was going survive now that he had died, Broomes said: “I am the type of person who lives one day at a time. When I have something I am thankful, when I do not have I try not to complain. If the money can only pay the bills and no money remains to buy foodstuff, I try to make out somehow. I try very hard to avoid stressful situations.”

33 Responses to St Lucy shooting victim left home to buy a razor

1. Merisa Jemmott
    Merisa Jemmott April 25, 2015 at 9:14 pm

So sad R.I.P

2. Rosalind Best
    Rosalind Best April 25, 2015 at 9:18 pm

This is so sad. Condolenses to the family.

3. Hope Bless
    Hope Bless April 25, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Sad I hope them fine who did this

4. Glendon D. Barrow
    Glendon D. Barrow April 25, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Time to search everyone money or not. Prestigious or not. Lets keep The ROCK safer.

5. Jeremy No
    Jeremy No April 25, 2015 at 9:44 pm

RIP k9

6. Jeremy No
    Jeremy No April 25, 2015 at 9:44 pm

RIP k9

7. Savannah GodsGift Angel
    Savannah GodsGift Angel April 25, 2015 at 9:59 pm

There is a blatant disrespect for peoples lives, and its such a sad state!!!

8. Christian Barbie Shakera
    Christian Barbie Shakera April 25, 2015 at 10:00 pm

rip

9. Marcelle Kelly
    Marcelle Kelly April 25, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Another st Lucian mother is mourning for the lost of her son rest in peace i will miss your smile

10. Akasha Zephyrhills
    Akasha Zephyrhills April 25, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Its sad that he died that way, but we always forget what we have done in the past, bear in mind I don’t know this young man, but i hope justice is served in his name.

11. Patranell Callender
    Patranell Callender April 25, 2015 at 10:23 pm

R.I.P my condolences to his family

12. Joel C. Payne
    Joel C. Payne April 25, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Murders everyday. Government what are you doing to address this?

13. Randolph Sobers
    Randolph Sobers April 25, 2015 at 10:46 pm

This is very sad I pray the police will find the person that did it

14. Ryvan Bigman
    Ryvan Bigman April 25, 2015 at 11:12 pm

He went out for a razor.
    Another guy got shot in a drive by, a child got hit in the head while shopping with his parent. Protest about the guns, the killings. Stand up for what’s right. Bring back HANGING.

RIP, another senseless killing

15. Joel Alleyne
    Joel Alleyne April 25, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Sad. Disgraceful

16. Mark Wrd
    Mark Wrd April 26, 2015 at 1:49 am
  17. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley April 26, 2015 at 4:27 am

Very soon hotels will be behind huge gates and fences, beaches will become private for the hotel guests only and tourists wont venture out to see the rest of the island or spend money. A guy gets shot going to buy a razor, a child recently was shot in the head in Bridgetown, where will tourists feel safe other than in the confines of the hotel grounds ? My condolences to this guy’s family and friends.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley April 26, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Thank you Gina, sadly so many Bajan think tourists will come no matter what, but the internet provides a daily guide to whats happening, a beautiful island, with Bajans who are so friendly, but being destroyed by the mindless idots. Vacations are for relaxing, NOT being in fear for your life

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley April 26, 2015 at 12:31 pm

• Maria Leclair
      Maria Leclair April 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

As much as I would love to visit family and friends in BIM I don’t because when I am on a holiday I expect to have the freedom of being able to walk around as I wish and I can’t in BIM. I have had my share of bad experiences a few times while on holidays in BIM, I no longer want to go there, nor do I encourage my family and friends.

• Maria Leclair
      Maria Leclair April 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

18. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley April 26, 2015 at 4:27 am

19. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 26, 2015 at 4:39 am

What is Bim coming to? Are guns more valuable than life? It seems those in authortiy are not fit for purpose.

20. Sean Rice
    Sean Rice April 26, 2015 at 5:54 am

Was a friend rip Yank

21. Sean Rice
    Sean Rice April 26, 2015 at 6:02 am

That man was cool very cool no exaggerating YANK was a cool guy I hope the get that fool before he shoot somebody else cause he tripping out

22. jr smith April 26, 2015 at 6:12 am

Hail.hail, @ Sharon, to add , they wouldn’t ,need gates or fences,
    because, tourist just wouldn’t come. For years my take on gun crime/crime , what is so hard for police in Barbados to stop and search people and vehicles. The little scum bags low life, they aren’t controlling anything its the big ups ,the untouchables , when last have we heard the arrest of any one major in Barbados,

23. Alex Alleyne April 26, 2015 at 6:31 am

Another gun in the hands of a killer and some out there talking about having more guns in BIM ? . Put them all in DODDS , soon it will be time to go up one more flight on the present building . Most of them will have a better view .

24. Shellyann Babb
    Shellyann Babb April 26, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Sad may he R.I.P. Prayers to the family.

25. Stacey Harris
    Stacey Harris April 26, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Isis gotta cum bout hey & den dese ppl int stop doin kunt!

26. Pauline Cosgrove
    Pauline Cosgrove April 26, 2015 at 10:36 pm

so sad RIP

27. maria April 27, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Rest in peace

28. Victoria johnson April 28, 2015 at 9:29 pm

You and only you knew how I felt about you I was in love with you from the 1st day we met may your soul rest in peace.