It’s wickedness!

Jones says media partly to blame for SBA conflict

“There is wickedness in high places in this country.”

Apparently directing the comment at the news media, Minister of Education Ronald Jones made this declaration before Democratic Labour Party (DLP) faithful as he addressed a joint meeting of three constituency branches at the Grantley Adams Memorial School in St Joseph at the weekend.

Stating upfront that he would not be accepting any questions on the raging controversy related to the marking of School Based Assessment (SBA) scripts, the outspoken minister revealed: “We in the Ministry of Education have placed an embargo on any further comments on the matter outside of the two press releases we have made.”

He added: “Someone called last week and asked: Minister, did you not communicate with the Barbados National Council of Parent Teacher Associations who wrote you? I said ‘of course I did’. The president of the BNCPTA, Shone Gibbs, acknowledged receipt of my correspondence.

Minister of Education Ronald Jones
Minister of Education Ronald Jones

“However, I am seeing in the newspapers that up to now, I did not respond. You see what I am telling you? There is wickedness in high places in this country. No one in the fourth estate thought about checking with Gibbs. I speak to Gibbs literally every day. Before I came here this evening to address this meeting, Gibbs called me.”

Jones went on: “I told Gibbs I sent him correspondence on Friday and he said he had received it and he pointed out that he was calling me to bring me up to date as well on what the individual PTAs are doing in their various schools.

“I have seen so many half-truths in the last few weeks. There are some individuals who do not want any resolution. They shift the goal-post anytime. Are we seeking a solution on the SBAs or are we seeking confrontation?” the minister asked.

The SBA controversy stems from a decision by the Barbados Secondary Teachers Union (BSTU) that its members will no longer be correcting the papers set by the Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) unless they start receiving payment for doing so.

The Ministry of Education disagrees with the union’s position, saying correcting SBAs falls within regular teaching duties.

Jones, the parliamentary representative for Christ Church East Central, also accused some persons of engaging in “slash and burn tactics” in relation to the marking of SBAs scripts.

“There are messages being sent out encouraging teachers to erase marks placed on SBAs and, if they are placed online, to delete them,” he charged.

“However, I have not seen one reference of that in the Press because there are some people who intend to go as low as possible,” he added. “I call it beneath the sludge.”

Earlier, Jones acknowledged that marking SBAs had placed a greater workload on teachers over the years but he was critical of them for placing compensation for work done over the quality of the work.

“It says to me that the emphasis is on the pay rather than the quality of the work. I have a significant difficulty with that.  Do not let us exploit our young people for our own gains. If there is a need for purposeful engagement, by all means let us participate in it,” he said.

Jones lauded teachers who have allowed their professionalism to rise to the fore in their commitment to their charges.

39 Responses to It’s wickedness!

1. Santini More
    Santini More April 22, 2015 at 6:58 am

Boy is he ever right! The current Cabinet is certainly up to pure wickedness.

2. Allison Gill
    Allison Gill April 22, 2015 at 7:18 am

Stupessss

3. Mhizz Nyoka
    Mhizz Nyoka April 22, 2015 at 7:29 am

Same how wanna does half truth the country. I can’t stand him.

4. Mhizz Strange
    Mhizz Strange April 22, 2015 at 7:42 am

I’m so tired

5. Shurf De
    Shurf De April 22, 2015 at 7:48 am

I left school in the 88, I did SBA. I always thought that was part of the teachers job. Now I learnt it is not, am a little confused but if I was a parent. My child/ren had fail because of not correcting SBA, I would find a lawyer and encourage others to do so. Who vex that’s wanna business.

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 22, 2015 at 8:48 am

SBAs are now done out of class time…so no it isn’t part of the teachers job… Teachers correct them but CXC pays people (selected teachers) to correct the samples they request from schools… Is that fair?— secondly once an SBA is submitted a student can’t fail…. However I think the unions need to ensure parents receive the utmost clarity on what they’re doing.

• Damian Hinkson
      Damian Hinkson April 22, 2015 at 9:35 am

Lucia Aniela Parris you are the first person on face book i have come across the even attempt to give any information on the topic so i hope you don’t mind if i ask you some questions. (1)is CXC only in barbados, i don’t hear any other islands with similar request.(2) why are SBA’s done out of class time? (3)is all the teachers paid time only in class rooms?

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 22, 2015 at 10:09 am

1. The other islands through the Caribbean Union of Teachers have also raised similar concern… They however have not as a group decided their course of action 2. SBAs in most cases are projects based on material taught… I will guess that the reason they have to do it out of class time is to guage what students can do on their own as well as the fact that teachers still have a syllabus to fulfill for the examination component of the CXC… And 3. Yes teachers are paid to teach the syllabus and what is required of the syllabus and NOT to fulfill requests of external examining bodies i.e. CXC, Cambridge etc…. however many teachers go way beyond their call of duty without compensation— i suspect it becomes frustrating when you know you do more than your job description yet you receive high amounts of insensitive critique… Hope I cleared it up somewhat @damian

• Shurf De
      Shurf De April 22, 2015 at 10:15 am

Well if that’s the case, why the Caribbean teachers don’t come together and sort it out.

• Queenie ShaSha
      Queenie ShaSha April 22, 2015 at 10:48 am

Lucia Aniela Parris..i may be confused but did he insinuate that we are paid after we leave the job site as well?

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 22, 2015 at 10:53 am

The Caribbean Union is just an umbrella… Each territory has to decide its own path… I’ll take it that he was just asking for clarification on our contracts @queenie shasha

• Shurf De
      Shurf De April 22, 2015 at 10:56 am

I am not surprised, their taking own path. I was actually expecting that answer but instead of me saying it. Typical Caribbean.

6. Shurf De

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris April 22, 2015 at 10:53 am

• Shurf De
      Shurf De April 22, 2015 at 10:56 am

7. Ryan Rowe
    Ryan Rowe April 22, 2015 at 8:05 am

Like the administration that you are part of. All of wunna wicked until none is left can’t wait to get the rid of wunna.

8. Frederick Alleyne
    Frederick Alleyne April 22, 2015 at 8:27 am

When these persons were in opposition and the press spread their propaganda all was good. When they used the unions against the last government, sweet. When they used the young people, good too. When certain policy makers agreed with their agenda that was freedom of speech. What happen now? You reap what you sow Sir.

9. Jan Merritt
    Jan Merritt April 22, 2015 at 8:31 am

Well if the media is telling half truths you guys could just shake hands and make up because government full of half truths and straight up lies.

10. Margaret Lorde
    Margaret Lorde April 22, 2015 at 8:54 am

You’re the identifier of demons Ronald…wickedness is child’s play after that.

11. Elke Hassell
    Elke Hassell April 22, 2015 at 9:54 am

Whats wicked is the fact that your NIS Department owes us money for months and months and months, why don’t you elaborate on that!!!

12. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 22, 2015 at 10:16 am

Special promotion at the All Talk Store, buy a pair of Pure Talk Walkie Talkies and get a FREE Airbag while stocks last.

13. Brigitte Adams
    Brigitte Adams April 22, 2015 at 10:18 am

I do not understand freedom of speech is our right, slander is illegal surely some the comments are the truth and should be addressed the majority of people in Barbados like me are really scared at the way we are heading. We want answers and solutions and stop the criminal element at all levels everybody has to live.

14. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha April 22, 2015 at 10:50 am

When ppl leave the classroom and forget what it feels like to be in the classroom since they have ergonomic chairs and ac…

15. Heather Dottin-Bancroft
    Heather Dottin-Bancroft April 22, 2015 at 11:13 am

Mr. Jones you are correct, there is certainly wickedness in high places in this country, but it’s not the media

16. Jason Cayenne
    Jason Cayenne April 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Im going to leave this one alone because if i start to talk about wickedness i might have his henchmen knocking on my door.

17. Toni Beckles
    Toni Beckles April 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Elizabeth Beckles

18. Toni Beckles
    Toni Beckles April 22, 2015 at 1:04 pm

You better be careful you don’t get lock up for causing him distress

19. Divine Duchess
    Divine Duchess April 22, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Why he don’t work and not get paid and see how it feels. Them does really tek ppl fa idiots ya know! Government does owe every rh body, at no time at all ya cud ever get ya money from dem, d more noise ya mek d longer ya gaw wait stupse. Somebody outta every household in BIM got an .I.O.U from government! I can’t wait fa elections yc Dems GONE and NEVER AGAIN!!!

20. Gerald Seale
    Gerald Seale April 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

You know, Minister Jones is right. There really is wickedness in high places in Barbados.

21. Lauraine Clarke
    Lauraine Clarke April 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Mr Jones ,hahaha they got you good,mother used to say do for do ain’t no obeah.hahaha.

22. René Holder
    René Holder April 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm

“There is wickedness in high places in this country” He’s not lying here but by whom???

23. René Holder
    René Holder April 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm

24. Tony Waterman April 23, 2015 at 1:37 am

“I am going to Crack some Heads and Shoot some people” “There is wickedness in high places in this country.” “Someone called last week and asked: Minister, did you not communicate with the Barbados National Council of Parent Teacher Associations who wrote you??”
    What’s wrong with this Fellow, it’s always somone else Fault, or someone else did it.
    He is supposed to be the Minister Of Education, but is acting more like the Minister of Miseducation.
    According to what ever type of Regulations, Contract/Agreement that currently Governs teachers in Barbados, they are either Bound by this Regulation,Contract/Agreement to marking These SBA’s or Not.
    Mr.Minister which definitively is it, YES or NO, if yes then get a court order against the Union ordering the Members of the Union to Correct the SBA’s, if it is no, then get to the table with the Union and work out an agreement.i see no reason why this has become the Issue that it has, and God knows i am NOT a friend of Mary Redman, and you Sir!!! are the worst Education Minister this Country gas EVER had, BTW: Where is the Director of Education, has not heard a peep out of him in a VERY long time.