Wales, UWI, Rendezvous victorious

It might have been a different venue and atmosphere but Rendezvous, Weymouth Wales and the University of the West Indies (UWI) were still in irresistible form as the Digicel-sponsored Barbados Football Association’s Premier League continued at the Wildey, St. Michael Astro Turf on Sunday night.

With the condition of the stands at the National Stadium under a question mark and an official decision made not to use the facility, the BFA moved its programme to Wildey and genuine football fans still turned out in their numbers to see three of the top teams in action. UWI dealt Mackeson Brittons Hill a 4-1 beating in the first game, Wales dished out a 4-0 drubbing on Direct TV Paradise and Rendezvous blanked Notre Dame 3-0.

 Rendezvous currently in second position with 17 points, and behind Wales on 18 in the standings, were like a rash all over Notre Dame in the featured game. Striker Miron Samuel was an early tormentor when he struck the first goal in the 13th minute. That goal came about when Shandel Samuel shook off a strong challenge from Dame’s defender Shane Mottley, ran the ball down the left flank and crossed the ball over to the right where Miron was on point in front of the goal bars and scored.

 Just before the conclusion of the first half in the 45th minute Rendezvous went up 2-0 to the delight of their supporters but to the dismay of Notre Dame when Mottley who was busy all night fluffed a clearance and instead of heading the ball away mistakenly put it into the back of his own nets.

Rendezvous striker Miron Samuel (left) celebrates his goal with teammate Emerald George.
Rendezvous striker Miron Samuel (left) celebrates his goal with teammate Emerald George.

  The Dames played much better in the second half even though at times they allowed Rendezvous too much room on the ball. One instance was in the 69th minute when Samuel took his second goal of the night. He controlled the ball well and launched a rocket-like shot inside the 18-yard box. The Dame’s industrious goalkeeper Karrem Farrell who made some good saves in the game had no chance to stop that thunderbolt.

 Former Premier League champions Wales also had a good night but could have thanked Paradise’s goalkeeper Jason Boxill for his benevolence after he gave away two penalties and also contrived to get himself ejected from the game.

  The first-half was goalless but action picked up in the 58th minute of the second when Boxill recklessly fouled a player and Wales’ striker Kemar Headley scored from the spot. In the 62nd minute Headley, a national player, scored another and things just went Wales’ way from there on. Captain Jabar Greene scored in the 70th minute and Boxill collected his second yellow card in the 90th minute after another clumsy tackle and that was goodnight for him.

 Brittons Hill got their campaign off to a good start in the 11th minute compliments of defender Antone Ellie. That joy only lasted five minutes as striker Riverre Williams leveled the score in the 16th minute. Thereafter it was the UWI show as Dario Harewood, Mario Harte and Corey Barrow scored in the 38th, 81st and 84th minutes to complete an emphatic win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *